Storyist Forums
marguerite

Ordering links and groups

Hi, Steve:

Two feature requests that I don't think I've seen anyone else mention:

1) Once you have a bunch of sections, plot points, characters, and settings established, it would be great to be able to click a button in the Links Palette and have the available story elements snap into alphabetical order or order by type. Mine are all over the place, arranged not even in the order in which I created them or first clicked on them but in some random way, and it's becoming a stretch to find anything once I click "Insert link" (I did check the Help files on this but didn't find anything).

2) Moving characters, plot points, or settings into their respective groups seems to be a rather hit-or-miss proposition, dependent on a careful analysis of a thin black line. Would it be possible to apply the Mac's usual "darken folder" method, so one knows that the character, etc., is actually going to go into the folder and not ahead or before it? A workaround is to create a new, untitled character within the group and use it as a benchmark to line everyone else up, but the other method would be preferable in the long run.

I'd also like to second (or third, or is it fourth?) Thoth's suggestion for sheets summarizing chapters and the entire story. Those would be very useful.

Thanks!

Marguerite

Hi Marguerite,

Some good news and some bad news :blink:

Hi, Steve:

1) Once you have a bunch of sections, plot points, characters, and settings established, it would be great to be able to click a button in the Links Palette and have the available story elements snap into alphabetical order or order by type. Mine are all over the place, arranged not even in the order in which I created them or first clicked on them but in some random way, and it's becoming a stretch to find anything once I click "Insert link" (I did check the Help files on this but didn't find anything).

Good News: You can sort the elements in alphabetical order (or reverse alphabetical order) by clicking on the "Title" header. Similarly, you can sort by type by clicking on the "Type" header.

2) Moving characters, plot points, or settings into their respective groups seems to be a rather hit-or-miss proposition, dependent on a careful analysis of a thin black line. Would it be possible to apply the Mac's usual "darken folder" method, so one knows that the character, etc., is actually going to go into the folder and not ahead or before it? A workaround is to create a new, untitled character within the group and use it as a benchmark to line everyone else up, but the other method would be preferable in the long run.

I'd also like to second (or third, or is it fourth?) Thoth's suggestion for sheets summarizing chapters and the entire story. Those would be very useful.

Thanks!

Marguerite

Bad News: Unfortunately, the "thin black line" (with a loop at the end) IS the Mac's usual method of indicating item dragging in outline views. See the outline view in Mail, for instance.

-Steve

Hi, Steve:

Thanks!

Marguerite

Hi Marguerite, Steve,

I'd like to second the "darken folder" idea. I can't begin to remember how many (many, many) times I've dropped a Sheet in the wrong folder or the wrong position in the Project Pane. (BTW: I have this problem with Apple MAIL too.)

Thanks again,

Thoth.

Good News: You can sort the elements in alphabetical order (or reverse alphabetical order) by clicking on the "Title" header. Similarly, you can sort by type by clicking on the "Type" header.

Hi Steve,

I must be clicking on the wrong thing because I can't get this to work in 1.2.2+ (281). Just a click, right? Not an Option click (because it doesn't show up as an option in the pop-up)?

-Thoth.

Hi Steve,

I must be clicking on the wrong thing because I can't get this to work in 1.2.2+ (281). Just a click, right? Not an Option click (because it doesn't show up as an option in the pop-up)?

-Thoth.

Hi Thoth,

You can sort the link options as follows:

1. Place the insertion point at the location you want the link.
  2. Choose Edit > Insert > Link... (Command-L) from the main menu.
  3. The link sheet appears. Click on the column header titled "Title" to sort alphabetically. Click on the column header title "Type" to sort by type.

-Steve

Hi Thoth,

You can sort the link options as follows:

1. Place the insertion point at the location you want the link.
  2. Choose Edit > Insert > Link... (Command-L) from the main menu.
  3. The link sheet appears. Click on the column header titled "Title" to sort alphabetically. Click on the column header title "Type" to sort by type.

-Steve

Hi Steve,

Sorry. I wasn't talking about sorting. I was talking about linking. (My bad.) And it still isn't working right.

1. I place the insertion point in the summery section of a Character Sheet.

2. I choose Edit > Insert > Link from the main menu.

3. The link pop-up appears. I click on the column header titled "Title" to sort titles alphabetically.

4. I choose a Section Sheet. Its name appears (underlined and blue) at the insertion point in the summery section of the Character Sheet (as expected).

5. I click on it to see if it works. It sends me to the proper Section Sheet (as expected).

6. I go back to the Character Sheet (the one with the link I just created and used) by clicking on the character name (not the back arrow) in order to test the link again. The link is no longer underlined or blue, and it behaves like normal text when I click on it. Which is to say, it is no longer a link. (Very unexpected behavior.)

Am I still doing this wrong or should I report this as a bug?

-Thoth.

Hi Steve,

Sorry. I wasn't talking about sorting. I was talking about linking. (My bad.) And it still isn't working.

1. I place the insertion point in the summery section of a Character Sheet.

2. I choose Edit > Insert > Link from the main menu.

3. The link pop-up appears. I click on the column header titled "Title" to sort titles alphabetically.

4. I choose a Section Sheet. Its name appears (underlined and blue) at the insertion point in the summery section of the Character Sheet (as expected).

5. I click on it to see if it works, sending me to the proper Section Sheet (as expected).

6. I go back to the Character Sheet (the one with the link I just created and used) by clicking on the character name (not the back arrow) in order to test the link again. The link is no longer underlined or blue, and it behaves like normal text when I click on it. Which is to say, it is no longer a link. (Very unexpected behavior.)

Am I still doing this wrong or should I report this as a bug?

-Thoth.

Hi Thoth,

There is definitely a bug here (but not related to ordering/sorting items in the Link dialog) and I am able to reproduce the behavior you describe. Interestingly, if you insert a link before the last paragraph, and then navigate away, the link will usually (though not always) be inserted as expected. I'll definitely fix this.

-Steve

Moving characters, plot points, or settings into their respective groups seems to be a rather hit-or-miss proposition, dependent on a careful analysis of a thin black line. Would it be possible to apply the Mac's usual "darken folder" method, so one knows that the character, etc., is actually going to go into the folder and not ahead or before it? A workaround is to create a new, untitled character within the group and use it as a benchmark to line everyone else up, but the other method would be preferable in the long run.

This has improved for all apps in Leopard. In Storyist, you'll notice the improvement in the Project pane and the list views in the Storyboard.

-Steve