Storyist Forums

Wikipedia Widget Weirdness

Steve E

Hi all. I have a question.

One of my most valuable writing research tools is Wikipedia. Generally, while I'm writing and am stumped for, say, the capital of Botswana, I can click on my dashboard icon, type "Botswana" into my Wikipedia Widget, and get my answer in a moment (i.e., Gaborone).

But lately I've been noticing that certain words trigger Bad Behavior.

I've reported this to Wikipedia but have received no response. No doubt they have their reasons. But this non-response has prompted me to throw the question to my fellow Storyists: Have any of you been experiencing bad behavior with certain queries?

I won't ask the question in a vacuum. Try querying SQL in your Wikipedia Widget. It's easy to find in the answer on the Wikipedia site through your browser. But ask through the Widget and it throws a nutty. You might have to restart your computer to get it back to normal.

Looking forward to your response. (I'm hoping the problem isn't just me.)

-Thoth

Hi all. I have a question.

One of my most valuable writing research tools is Wikipedia. Generally, while I'm writing and am stumped for, say, the capital of Botswana, I can click on my dashboard icon, type "Botswana" into my Wikipedia Widget, and get my answer in a moment (i.e., Gaborone).

But lately I've been noticing that certain words trigger Bad Behavior.

I've reported this to Wikipedia but have received no response. No doubt they have their reasons. But this non-response has prompted me to throw the question to my fellow Storyists: Have any of you been experiencing bad behavior with certain queries?

I won't ask the question in a vacuum. Try querying SQL in your Wikipedia Widget. It's easy to find in the answer on the Wikipedia site through your browser. But ask through the Widget and it throws a nutty. You might have to restart your computer to get it back to normal.

Looking forward to your response. (I'm hoping the problem isn't just me.)

-Thoth

Can't help you. I access Wikipedia all the time, but only through my browser.

Sounds irksome, though.

Sympathies.

M

Archived