Storyist Forums

Screencast wishes

Steve

Over the next couple of weeks, I'm going to put together a series of short screencasts for V2 features.

In addition to a general introduction, I'm planning to do one each on the Text view, the Outline view, and the Storyboard.

What else would you like to see?

-Steve

Hi Steve.

I know it's ambitious but I'd like to see a walkthrough on Import.

Also, I think instructions on the many ways of navigating through Storyist would be useful, especially for beginners.

Some kind of statement/explanation on the function and connections of Sections is in order, especially for those coming to V2 from V1.

More to come when I think of them. Unless someone else thinks of them first.

"The more you know, the less you don't know."

-Thoth.

I would love a basic "Getting Started" one explaining how to get going and an overview of major features and functionality. Then I would like to see ones that explore a feature more in depth, explaining more advanced ways to do things. I know there are almost endless features and ways to use them, but anything showing me where things are and giving me a basic idea of how to use them is very useful. Once I see that something is available I can then start using it.

For example: I didn't know I could create my own Collections in the side bar until I watched a screen cast on section sheets and saw Steve create one. The video wasn't even on creating collections, but now I know I can do it so I can begin using it.

Perhaps it is a fault of mine, but I generally don't go searching for things a program can do. If I don't immediately see it or know about it I usually don't explore it until I have a specific need I'm trying to figure out how to achieve. At least, until I become a lot more comfortable with the program. Then perhaps I go exploring

I would love a basic "Getting Started" one explaining how to get going and an overview of major features and functionality. Then I would like to see ones that explore a feature more in depth, explaining more advanced ways to do things. I know there are almost endless features and ways to use them, but anything showing me where things are and giving me a basic idea of how to use them is very useful. Once I see that something is available I can then start using it.

For example: I didn't know I could create my own Collections in the side bar until I watched a screen cast on section sheets and saw Steve create one. The video wasn't even on creating collections, but now I know I can do it so I can begin using it.

Perhaps it is a fault of mine, but I generally don't go searching for things a program can do. If I don't immediately see it or know about it I usually don't explore it until I have a specific need I'm trying to figure out how to achieve. At least, until I become a lot more comfortable with the program. Then perhaps I go exploring

I'd also like to see a screen cast specifically aimed at V1 users who are upgrading, so we can find features that have moved or been re-envisioned for V2 (I was just checking the Help files, which seem very complete, but the "For Version 1 Users" section that I'd hoped for was not there). Admittedly, many V1 users' concerns can be met through the "how-to" screen casts, but a quick walk-through of a new V2 project that included a "this is how you used to set up section sheets (now called story sheets), but here's how you do it in the new version," and the like would be helpful. That way, people who are just adopting Storyist don't need to hear a bunch of stuff that has no relevance to them, and people who are scratching their heads trying to figure out why they have no section sheets after creating 16 sections will get the answers they need quickly.

Best,

Marguerite

Many Storyist users might find a screencast on customizing sheets very useful. In it, you would create and add custom fields of multiple types, show how these fields can be created to contain links to other sheets, such as including a list of relatives on a character sheet, and then saving that sheet layout as the default sheet layout for that project.

Many Storyist users might find a screencast on customizing sheets very useful. In it, you would create and add custom fields of multiple types, show how these fields can be created to contain links to other sheets, such as including a list of relatives on a character sheet, and then saving that sheet layout as the default sheet layout for that project.

You might want to save this one until after the sheet glitch is fixed (i.e., custom fields disappear on reopening file).

I'd like to see a screencast on fly-fishing.

The entire channel devoted to it on Cable just doesn't have that Steve Shepard touch. ;)

But seriously, doesn't a proper Instructional Video imply that you will demonstrate and explain every major Storyist command and process? Assuming "Instructional Video" what you're ultimately going for here.

I see an Oscar in your future (but then we lose you to Hollywood).

-Thoth.

So just where are these Screencast you guys are talking about?

So far, all in the ether. Steve made a couple of screencasts to help the beta testers navigate the new version during testing, but those aren't generally available (yet). Perhaps he will post his schedule for releasing new ones.

But feel free to request enlightenment of points that bother you. I think he's compiling a list.

Best,

Marguerite

But feel free to request enlightenment of points that bother you. I think he's compiling a list.

In case you missed M's subtle hint, iKlaaatu, that would be a list compiled from this forum. Please feel free to contribute.

- Gort ...er... Thoth.

• 8 months later...

Hi Steve.

I was looking over the Storyist For Screenwriters screencast and, at the moment, I have only one comment. Throughout the screencast menus pop up and only sometime to you allude to what you clicked on to get them. If I didn't already know, I wouldn't have known. So my "screencast wish" is that you fix that.

Keeping you busy since 2007.

- Thoth.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived