Storyist Forums

Impressed I am

Keybored

Were you ever a history teacher? Or a little known facts teacher? You, Sir, are a vast ocean of knowledge. lol!!

We should all have a stump Thoth challenge..... like what was the name of the fish in Pinocchio? And what instrument of mashing the potatoes did Sam use in Benny & Joon?

Or... What does the Civet (tree dwelling mammal) have to do with Coffee? And what's the difference between the Eastern Garter Snake and the Eastern Ribbon Snake?

Or even... Name three types of archery bows (not brand names).

Host of the Stump Thoth Show

- Jullese

I set up a new topic for this in Community > General Topics (although it probably should have gone into Writers Lounge—too late now).

Stump Thoth there!

M

Were you ever a history teacher? Or a little known facts teacher? You, Sir, are a vast ocean of knowledge. lol!!

I taught Computer Science and Discrete Mathematics at CUNY, the City College Of New York campus, for a few years. But the stuff about computer history (e.g., keyboards hidden in mahogany humidors), I know because I lived through it and have some scars to prove it. Don't know much about tree snakes or coffee mammals. (But you peaked my interest about the civet. I wish you hadn't.)

The fish, by the way, in the 1940 Disney film, Pinocchio, was named "Cleo", voice effects by Mel Blanc. It doesn't really have an active role in the book.

:lol:

- Thoth.

I set up a new topic for this in Community > General Topics (although it probably should have gone into Writers Lounge—too late now).

Stump Thoth there!

M

Thanks, but no thanks, M. I'm not a game show. At least not without compensation ($$$ :lol: ).

But you're right. This thread is for praising Steve and making him blush/vomit in all humility.

Interesting that he hasn't commented here yet.

True genius is shy. So very shy.

-Thoth.

Thanks, but no thanks, M. I'm not a game show. At least not without compensation ($$$ :) ).

But you're right. This thread is for praising Steve and making him blush/vomit in all humility.

Interesting that he hasn't commented here yet.

True genius is shy. So very shy.

-Thoth.

Well, we've been off-topic for quite a while, what with Sir Percy vs. the Gremlins and Jules's plans to take over the world with her complex of Confuselings, so perhaps you could move whatever comes out of all that to the "Stump Thoth" thread, since you want to leave the blushing to Steve. :lol:

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't wanted to put you on the spot, but only in a nice way, I swear. :)

I do hope she answers the question about the bows I left in the other thread, however. I'm curious!

Best,

M

Don't know much about tree snakes or coffee mammals. (But you peaked my interest about the civet. I wish you hadn't.)

:lol: I guess you haven't seen The Bucket List then! Or Benny & Joon....

So M, you haven't told us your favorite features of V2.0, or you Thoth, though that answer is probably obvious since you were begging for bookmarks for so long.

Dutifully following the bunny trail over to the General Forum

Hop hop hop

- Jewels

:lol: I guess you haven't seen The Bucket List then! Or Benny & Joon....

I am embarrassed to say, no I have not.

(And me with a thousand CableVision channels. But ask me about the fly fishing channel and I'm all over it. And why do you suppose the Sci-Fi Channel changed it's name to Syfy?)

So M, you haven't told us your favorite features of V2.0, or you Thoth, though that answer is probably obvious since you were begging for bookmarks for so long.

Yes, BOOKMARKS ROCK! But that other stuff is good too.

- Jewels

We could take bets on how many variations of "Julia" you can use. (I like "Jools". It's juicy.)

The one and only,

- Thoth.

Three cheers for bookmarks!

I could understand SciFy, to include fantasy, but not Syfy.... looks.... silly.

I collect spellings of my NN. I told that to a musician who was giving me an autograph once and he proceeded to write "Deter" (or maybe Peter, but it looks like a D to me)... it's my fav to date.

Um... I also love...Split View! Yea. Love that

Trying to stay on track

- Deter

Dutifully following the bunny trail over to the General Forum

Hop hop hop

- Jewels

I haven't, have I—except for the Trash Can. So here are my top 10 (not necessarily in order):

1. Styled text in Notebook (I used to keep deleted sections as a separate chapter in my manuscript because I got tired of having to hunt down , replace it with Section Text, and then redo the specialized formatting).

2. Multiple manuscripts (similar reason—I don't actually want a mammoth file containing all my related stories, but I like being able to set up a separate manuscript to hold extra pieces, if necessary).

3. Extra section sheets, combined with outlining mode, so I can track the arc of my story chapter by chapter without having to deal with 9,000 sheets and their associated details.

4. Bookmarks—never a big priority of mine, but I'm coming to love them, as I can bookmark a part of the text (they work in notes, too), go off and jot down a note, and snap right back to where I was.

5. Comments, for those times when I need to make a longer note than will fit in a bookmark.

6. Images stored in a folder by themselves, so that I can drag them to more than one place.

7. The collage—it's taken me a while to figure out how to make use of it, but I think it will become a big selling point for me over time.

8. Collections: I love being able to set up my own, for chapter outlines, prop sheets, etc.

9. Split windows, for those moments when I can't remember what exactly my heroine discovered four chapters back.

10. The navigation bar: being able to see what Storyist thinks I'm working on is a big plus.

These are in addition to the many things I loved about Storyist before: character sheets, setting sheets, import/export (I exchange files with a bunch of PC users who couldn't adopt Storyist if they wanted to—very nice people despite their benighted computer choices :lol:), the Storyboard, web address and wiki links, the notebook, styles and the ability to define my own, even simple stuff like the industry-standard formatting and the zoom feature. It was a great piece of software in 1.5, and now it's really spectacular. Yay, Steve!

One thing I never use is Full Screen mode: it's fine for those who need it, but if I wanted a blank screen, I'd use Darth Processor and just hide all the toolbars. I want to see my characters, notes, etc., while I write. That's why I'm using Storyist in the first place. (Not a comment on how anyone else chooses to work.)

Best,

M

Nice list, M. All great stuff. I never use Full Screen mode but I can see the aesthetics of it.

I should probably explain why bookmarks are so important to my writing style: I jump around a lot. I write a little here and then a little there. My bookmarks tell me what needs fleshing out even when, textually, it looks complete. Such are the Problems of Pantsers, or at least this pantser. Storyist solves this problem elegantly and allows me to be me. (And there may a be special ring in hell for people who allow me to be me, but that's the risk they take.)

Sorry about your friends who are acolytes of the Dark Processor.

Perhaps you will able to turn them towards the bright side of the Force.

Yea Steve. Hail Storyist. (This thread is getting tedious.)

I'm going to order a pizza for lunch. (Shouldn't but I'm a rebel.)

-Thoth.

I think it's funny in a way, that Steve replies faster to our whining than our praise.

I am certainly late in replying to this thread! Thank you all for the kind words, and especially Keybored--your post made my day.

Thank you, also, for the support and encouragement along the way. I can't tell you how pleased I am that Storyist 2 is finally out and in use.

On to 2.1!

-Steve

Archived