Storyist Forums

Tracking changes....

nadinbrzezinski

Steve version 2.0 delivered on two of those requests that some of us find almost essential, now if we could have tracking changes... nirvana. It is a pain to export to do that and re-import. On the bright side, the bookmarks might allow us to just save our space and make this less necessary.

That said, please, pretty please...

(And I know due to how the Dbase works I am probably asking for the moon)

What is "tracking changes?"

Your neighborhood ignoramus,

Calli

I think the ability to view the previous revisions of a specific section. Like Time Machine for your novel. Possibly highlighting the changes as well. :P

What is "tracking changes?"

Your neighborhood ignoramus,

Calli

In Word, if you're editing a text, you can have the program mark insertions, deletions, and changes in a non-permanent way, so that when you send the file to the author (or distribute it among a work group), the next person can see clearly what changes were suggested and decide whether to accept or reject them. I'm not sure why Nadin wants to apply track changes to his own work; it's mostly used for editing, since an editor can easily misread an author's intention. Perhaps he exchanges files with critique partners or just likes to see what he's done before he commits himself. But in any case, that's what he's asking for: the ability to see an inserted passage or strikeout and, probably, to compare two versions of the same document and see what differentiates them (which is also part of the Track Changes feature).

Best,

Marguerite

In Word, if you're editing a text, you can have the program mark insertions, deletions, and changes in a non-permanent way, so that when you send the file to the author (or distribute it among a work group), the next person can see clearly what changes were suggested and decide whether to accept or reject them. I'm not sure why Nadin wants to apply track changes to his own work; it's mostly used for editing, since an editor can easily misread an author's intention. Perhaps he exchanges files with critique partners or just likes to see what he's done before he commits himself. But in any case, that's what he's asking for: the ability to see an inserted passage or strikeout and, probably, to compare two versions of the same document and see what differentiates them (which is also part of the Track Changes feature).

Best,

Marguerite

Editors use them, but also writers. It is a valuable thing to have, and I use it all the time in programs such as Word, Open Office and Pages... All have it. I should also mention that top tier word processors have it.

It is a pain to implement since at the most basic of levels you need to create an invisible, to the user, database. That is where the pain comes.

Perhaps I see it more of a use since I also wear that editor hat from time time. And yes, I self edit my own work.

I edit my own stuff as well, but I've always just made a copy of the file and then gone crazy.

Yes, me too. I create a backup with a comment describing the areas in which I'm about to wreak havoc. I also keep a separate manuscript (now, in v2—it used to be a Notes Group) for deleted and seriously altered text, where I copy and paste sections I'm about to destroy. And I have groups for Deleted Settings, Deleted Characters, Not Used in This Book, etc. I have to be really, really certain I'm done with something before I get rid of it.

None of those things quite duplicates "Track Changes," though.

Best,

M

Yes, me too. I create a backup with a comment describing the areas in which I'm about to wreak havoc. I also keep a separate manuscript (now, in v2—it used to be a Notes Group) for deleted and seriously altered text, where I copy and paste sections I'm about to destroy. And I have groups for Deleted Settings, Deleted Characters, Not Used in This Book, etc. I have to be really, really certain I'm done with something before I get rid of it.

None of those things quite duplicates "Track Changes," though.

Best,

M

And this goes to show just how different writers work differently. I use notes and all of that, but track changes and then name the files V1, V2, V3... you get the picture.

Hell, it looks like I will use this to get the first version out, and then go back to the world processors to do the hard edit, using track changes...

That is the way life is.

:P

And this goes to show just how different writers work differently. I use notes and all of that, but track changes and then name the files V1, V2, V3... you get the picture.

Hell, it looks like I will use this to get the first version out, and then go back to the world processors to do the hard edit, using track changes...

That is the way life is.

:P

Hi Nadin,

Thanks for the request. I've already got this on the list, but as you pointed out, it is a pain to implement, so it may take a while.

-Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Marguerite, I think the key reason to track changes—at least for me—is simply never to lose your ideas. (And without any special work on your own part, no less)

To know both what you originally meant when you first drafted the idea of a paragraph, and in its completed form. You never know what tidbits you may have snipped out, or ideas you have forgotten to cover that you might decide are important enough to the story to cover elsewhere.

That's what I want out of the feature, not particularly for the aid of an editor.

Because if you never ended up mentioning that the Klothenites are fuzzy, how will they know?

SteakPirate

• 2 months later...

Thanks Steve... and yes I realize just how much of a pain it is... why I am not going NOW!!!!!!!

In fact, you may need to do a lot of testing before going live... them Databases can do weird stuff.

(I may not do any programing, but I do have an inkling of what that is since I know some who are... and cursing is... not fun)

Archived