Storyist Forums

Character Groups

Steve E

Hi All.

When I first saw that I could group my Character Sheets in Storyist I used them the way, I suspect, most people use them: to group people together (e.g., The Smith Family, The Gang, etc.). But I had found another use: documenting evolving characters.

If your story follows a character over many years (e.g., child-adult-senior-ghost-reincarnation) a single Character sheet will never do. Not only does physical appearance change, their personality and even their name may change as well (due to flight from the police, marriage, flight from marriage, marriage to the police - but I digress).

The story doesn't even have to follow the character over many years. The character might undergo a metamorphosis (e.g., Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde, Bruce Banner into the Incredible Hulk, Gregor Samsa into a giant cockroach, or any number of "sex change" stories from Viola in The Twelfth Night to Myra Breckinredge to Tootsie and beyond).

Such a character can, and often does, change his/her name, so it's not a bad idea to group the different versions of the same person together.

Just a thought.

-Thoth.

BTW: You can use the Summary field in the Storyboard to add a notation to a Group. Just remember to Save afterwards. If you quit without making any other changes you're not given a Save warning. It's not as good as having a Group sheet (which I'm told is on the way) but I find it useful.

Archived