Storyist Forums

Timeline

Pyrobon

I am using Storyist to write a book and a timeline would be invaluable. My piece is a non-fictional piece and would love to have this to help me along. I am not sure how best you might achieve this, but a calendar at the very least might be helpful. It would be nice if you could put events related to dates in place so you can make sure that you do not have duplication as well to make sure you include an event or that you do not forget an event.

Hi Lifesmark.

Requests for a timeline feature have been coming up since 2007 (click here). This particular thread was started by Pyrobon in 2009.

While Steve is busy trying to prioritize Feature Requests amid all the other balls he has in the air, the rest of us have created alternatives ranging from Timeline Notes to Timeline iCal calendars. If you have any ideas about what a Timeline feature should look like and be able to do, by all means, share.

Whatever happened to Pyrobon (of Venezuela)?

- Thoth

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Like many others, I would love to have a timeline feature.

Margaret's tip makes me wonder whether it wouldn't be easiest to add a special start date, end date field to sheets. A timeline feature could then

- display sheets by starting date order

- do the same, only for a specific plot thread (given we already have any number of custom fields, it would be wonderful to simply be able say sort first by field x, then by date)

- show only events that were active on a specific date or between two dates, so if I want to know what happens between he first and fifteenth of February, I get only those events

- ideally, map events to a visual timeline

And I really would want a 'construct calendar' feature that allows me to determine

- how many hours in a day

- how many days in a month

- how many months in a year (including names)

Pretty please?

One other thing that would be useful to me as an author of series fiction: The ability to set (or, I suppose, to draw from the first and last start/end dates) the cumulative start and end dates/times for each manuscript in the series. Right now, my main Storyist file has 2 manuscripts ("01 AOD" for my first book, and "02 ME" for my second), and I imagine adding more in the future. It would be nice to be able to see how the timelines for each book line up.

Even better would be if I could slot short stories which take place in this universe (which are currently in journal note files, but need not necessarily be) into the timeline.

Maybe a first-pass solution would be a "Timeline Sheet", on which you could add links to specific plot points or section sheets and set their start/end times. Not as whizzy as an iCal-like view, but it would be a useful and functional start.

Archived