Storyist Forums

Highlight and Comments Palette

btjeppesen

While editing my thesis novel in Storyist, I realized one important thing that Storyist is missing that has always been a part of my workflow. Multiple-color highlights.

Traditionally, I have eight different color highlighters. Each contains a different meaning. For example, I use red for redundant (notice that redundant starts with the color red) and green for grammatical errors. when I'm done with my highlighting pass through the manuscript, I can go through and search for specific types of highlights depending on what I'm in the mood to fix at the time.

It would be awesome to have a Highlighting and Commenting Palette. It would contain a list of user-defined types of edits, each with an assigned color chosen from the standard OS X color palette. Next to each is a checkmark which the user can uncheck to hide all comments of that type (similar to the way you can hide layers in Photoshop). Additionally, each user-defined type would have the circular forward and back buttons to cycle through the edits of that type in the manuscript. This allows me to easily move from one redundancy to the next.

What do you guys think? Any additions or modifications to my idea? And how many of you would find something like this useful? High demand = Willing Steve = Happy Brian.

Ever the highlighter,

Brian

Hi BT.

I do my Storyist highlighting using Format > Font > Show Colors, on selected text. Being able to assign formal meaning to each color would be useful but I've found notations in Notes on color meaning sufficient. A color-cycle button would be nice but not a high priority. But being able to SEARCH for a particular color would be very cool.

Lukewarm Demand = Sedate Brian?

- Thoth.

Hi BT.

I do my Storyist highlighting using Format > Font > Show Colors, on selected text. Being able to assign formal meaning to each color would be useful but I've found notations in Notes on color meaning sufficient. A color-cycle button would be nice but not a high priority. But being able to SEARCH for a particular color would be very cool.

Lukewarm Demand = Sedate Brian?

- Thoth.

I won't murder anyone, at least, over lukewarm demand. Can't promise any more than that. Your method works somewhat, but the ability to cycle through a particular kind of edit would be invaluable. Of course, we still need a track changes feature, which could be part of this setup. When track changes is turned on, it creates its own highlight type, highlights the changes in that color while adding a note on what the change was. You can then cycle through the changes made with track changes using the same palette system. Edits in the Track Changes palette would also have the accept and reject buttons expected in track changes features.

Yep. The ability to track changes does come up from time to time. I think the last time was July/Aug, when Nadin brought it up (click here). So there is certainly interest in it. But I don't know where this feature would fall on Steve's priority list.

Murder over a Feature Request? (Well, maybe bookmarks...)

- Thoth

Yep. The ability to track changes does come up from time to time. I think the last time was July/Aug, when Nadin brought it up (click here). So there is certainly interest in it. But I don't know where this feature would fall on Steve's priority list.

Murder over a Feature Request? (Well, maybe bookmarks...)

- Thoth

Where? Probably in Istanbul. I'm just guessing though.

Murder over a Feature Request? Of course. I'm a horror writer. That makes me evil. I've yet to eat anyone though. That's next on my priority list.

On that note, you wanna stop by my place for dinner? :P

Briannible

I'm confused by the Ridley Scott reference. I'm gonna go have a beer or five.

Ridley Scott directed "Hannibal" (the film version of the Harris book). He also produced it with Dino De Laurentiis.

You did know that these chronicles of Hannibal Lecter have all been made into movies. Right, my little confusling?

Have a pint on me.

- Thoth episode IV.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to interrupt your cannibal love fest, but going back to the original post. That definitely sounds like a cool set of features. I'll second it to keep my name off the menu.

"But that my children, is called cannibalism which is frowned upon in most societies!"

- Jules

Sorry to interrupt your cannibal love fest, but going back to the original post. That definitely sounds like a cool set of features. I'll second it to keep my name off the menu.

Aw. We were just having a little horror writer fun there, Jules. (Do you believe they actually made a Saw 6? Who's left alive?)

"But that my children, is called cannibalism which is frowned upon in most societies!"

- Jules

"Wafers and wine, my fine young cannibal. Wafers and wine."

- Thoth.

Didn't the jigsaw guy die? Seriously.... those movies should have stopped after the first one. Zombie movies need a break too..... :rolleyes:

What is that quote from Thoth?

- J

Didn't the jigsaw guy die? Seriously.... those movies should have stopped after the first one. Zombie movies need a break too..... :rolleyes:

I know! And now Zombie World? Well, I do rather like the funny ones.

What is that quote from Thoth?

"The Vampire Lestat" (Anne Rice, 1985).

Ms Rice also writes de-fanged BDSM novels under the pseudonyms of Anne Rampling and A.N. Roquelaure.

Raise a cup of B-positive and toast the immortal genre of the children of the night.

"Buhlee buhlaaaa. I vaunt to suck your toes"...Wait, let me check on that Dracula quote.

- Thoth.

• 2 years later...

Hi All.

I'm a fairly new user of Storyist and a brand new poster so please bear with me. I want to say, also, that I have found these forums very helpful in using my favorite writing app, Storyist.

I would like to add my name to those who would request a highlighting feature on Storyist. Others have suggested changing the color of the text for what they believe might accomplish the same thing. My problem with that reasoning is this. When I highlight my text with, say, a soft yellow I can still read the text while being gently reminded that I need to pay more attention to the highlighted area. If, instead, I use the same yellow color for my text, I can barely read the letters on the page.

So, Steve, I really hope you will consider making highlighting a possibility in the future.

Thank you.

Whirlybird

Hi Whirlybird, and welcome to the forum.

... When I highlight my text with, say, a soft yellow I can still read the text while being gently reminded that I need to pay more attention to the highlighted area. If, instead, I use the same yellow color for my text, I can barely read the letters on the page.

I think you make an excellent point.

It's not really a problem for me since I always write at 200% zoom but I can see how it could be a problem for others.

Thank you for bringing it up.

Perhaps if we massage this request enough we can get it into a shape Steve will like.

-Thoth.

Hi Thoth.

Thanks so much for the warm welcome.

I'm usually using the 150 to 200 % zoom myself. I haven't had to resort to glasses yet (the big 5-0 is just around the corner so I am very thankful) but I often write on my 11" Air where screen real estate is at a minimum. Also, I have Lion on this Air so I can't use the 'control' and two fingers forward to make the whole screen bigger like I could on Snow Leopard. I know there's a similar way to do it on Lion but it only makes what's in the windows bigger causing much of what's written to disappear around the edges.

I think the bottom line becomes the fact that I am a visual person where colors call out to me. The yellow or green or even red fonts seem to blend into the background too much but the highlighted softer colors actually push the black text towards the foreground more while still being subtle.

I've see your posts all over this forum, Thoth, and I have to say I thoroughly enjoy them. They're also very information and helpful. Thanks for helping me with the massage ;-)

Whirlybird (I'm so proud to actually have an Avatar. My first ever)

I think the bottom line becomes the fact that I am a visual person where colors call out to me. The yellow or green or even red fonts seem to blend into the background too much but the highlighted softer colors actually push the black text towards the foreground more while still being subtle.

As a writer, you have to do what works for you.

I've see your posts all over this forum, Thoth, and I have to say I thoroughly enjoy them. They're also very information and helpful. Thanks for helping me with the massage ;-)

:) You're very welcome.

...I'm so proud to actually have an Avatar. My first ever

And it's a good one too. (It could be an album cover.)

Closer to 60 than 50,

-Thoth

Hi Troth,

Do you do anything special to help you keep those areas or words that you may have to rework, etc easily visible to you? It's always nice to hear other people's ideas and see if they work for me.

You're very welcome. You've made me feel right at home.

I've decided, since I'll be turning 50 on the 21st, that life only begins from 50 onward. The rest was just practice ;-)

Whirlybird

PS-Thanks for the compliment on my Avatar. It's my sister, a friend, and I in our new backyard riding our whirlybird (I'm assuming that was the name on the box when purchased but I would have been too young to know and the rest are too old to remember), thus the name. If only my fingers wouldn't keep misspelling it.

Hi Whirlybird,

Do you do anything special to help you keep those areas or words that you may have to rework, etc easily visible to you? It's always nice to hear other people's ideas and see if they work for me.

Sections and Chapters that need major reworking I mark with an asterisk in the Project View (e.g., The End*). Large logical breaks in thought within a Section I mark with three asterisks and a comment within the text itself (e.g., ***Bob's big speech). Parts I simply want to refer back to are marked with a Bookmark or a Bookmark/Comment pair. (The Comment contains the reason I want to refer back to this area.) Potential dialog which I'm not yet sure where to place goes into Notes.

Hope that helps a little.

... If only my fingers wouldn't keep misspelling it.

Fumble-finger afflicts the young and not-so-young alike. Don't sweat it. (It helps to be slightly caffeinated.)

I've decided, since I'll be turning 50 on the 21st, that life only begins from 50 onward. The rest was just practice ;-)

Great minds, etcetera, etcetera.

- Thoth

Hi Thoth,

Not sure how to do those wonderful cuts/pastes/inserts type of things that make things much clearer so I'll forgo them for now. My luck I'll crash the whole forum. I will see which of your 'markers' work for me. I like the idea of the asterisk but I've also been using +++++ or ------ in front of paragraph if I rework one while keep the original right above or below it. I also put some of the old versions of paragraphs or sentences that I've rewritten in the Project View under 'rewrites' just in case I come back and like the first version better. I still have to use some sort of color otherwise I know I'll miss something.

I don't know if it's so much fumble-fingers as finger dyslexia. My brother has true dyslexia and I wound up with it mostly in my typing fingers.

On a side note about my avatar (can you tell how proud I am about myself?) I'm the little four or five year old girl on the left spinning around on our whirlybird with no hands or feet. My grandmother was so afraid I'd fall off she actually tied me to the thing. I remember I was so humiliated since up until then I was so proud that I could ride the thing without holding on. Ah, well. One of the many childhood memories I have to remember as I pass into the next half century of my life ;-)

-Whirlybird

... I also put some of the old versions of paragraphs or sentences that I've rewritten in the Project View under 'rewrites' just in case I come back and like the first version better. ...

Good idea!

On a side note about my avatar (can you tell how proud I am about myself?) I'm the little four or five year old girl on the left spinning around on our whirlybird with no hands or feet. My grandmother was so afraid I'd fall off she actually tied me to the thing. I remember I was so humiliated since up until then I was so proud that I could ride the thing without holding on. Ah, well. One of the many childhood memories I have to remember as I pass into the next half century of my life ;-)

Ah. Memories.

-Thoth

Please don't tell me your avatar has something to do with your childhood memories.

Well, Horus* and Hathor** were cool parents.

But, really, the only childhood connection to my Thoth*** avatar was a teenage interest in egyptology inspired by a college art course.

You're not that much older than I am! :o

Yes, Whirlybird. Just a year older than Steve Jobs (RIP) and not nearly as accomplished.

-Thoth (Bastet says "Hi".)

* Falcon-headed god of the sky, war and protection.

** Woman-headed goddess of music, dance, foreign lands and fertility (as well as the patron goddess of miners, for some reason).

*** Ibis-headed god of wisdom and the moon. Specifically, he is the god of writing, magic, justice and what passed for science at the time. An interesting character whose consorts include Seshat (woman-headed goddess of architecture, astronomy, astrology, building, mathematics, and surveying), Ma'at (woman-headed goddess of truth and justice) and Bastet (cat goddess of protection). They must have been a fun group.

Archived