Storyist Forums

Prop Support

Steve E

I once had an English teacher who beat it into my little head that stories were just collections of verbs and nouns. The verbs were the bits of plot and the nouns were the people, places and things acted on by the verbs (i.e., plot).

Storyist supports sheets for data about Plot, Characters (people and such) and Settings (places). But there is no such support for things. While writing a comment on another feature I was reminded of the importance of "things" in a story: the Sorting Hat in Harry Potter; the Witch's Broom in Wizard Of Oz; the Maltese Falcon in the story of the same name. Props aren't always just incidental to a story (a gun used and thrown away may be irrelevant to a detective story or it may be a key piece of evidence). Sometimes a prop is at the very core of a story, complete with an elaborate history: the One Ring in Lord Of The Rings; Excalibur in Le Morte d'Arthur; the gun in History Of A Gun.

And so I propose the support of a Prop Style Sheet feature.

Any thoughts?

Good suggestion. The film folks would probably be very happy to have this feature too. When a script goes into production, someone (the AD?) has the responsibility of tagging the elements in the script that have $ attached to them (e.g. props that needed to be rented, animals hired, etc).

The framework is already there in Storyist to handle other types of data, so it is not a "major" feature.

• 2 months later...
Good suggestion. The film folks would probably be very happy to have this feature too. When a script goes into production, someone (the AD?) has the responsibility of tagging the elements in the script that have $ attached to them (e.g. props that needed to be rented, animals hired, etc).

The framework is already there in Storyist to handle other types of data, so it is not a "major" feature.

Hi all,

Truly, the use of Props would be appreciated by us "movie folks", not only for the production end, but, as our "writers folks" friends, they also can be very important in the overall creative process. :)

That being said, it would evidently help the AD and other techical departments...

When can we expect such a feature ?

Erwan

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived