Storyist Forums

Hej, from Sverige

I've been sort-of fecklessly lurking around this forum ever since I first bought Storyist, shortly after it was introduced. But haven't really had the nerve to write, or anything much to say. I'm a sixty-something ne'r-do-well, who spent his life in either Opera press offices, or as a bookstore clerk (much prefering the latter). Then I moved back (from Santa Fe/Denver) to the old country (Sweden) to be with my father in his last years and to, finally, live somewhere for no other reason than I wanted to live there... and it's amazingly beautiful. So here I am on an island of in the middle of the Baltic, finding that it's much more difficult to learn Swedish at this age, especially when trying to write in English. But these are the challenges that keep one young!

Anyhoo... in my quest to become the Great American Author-in-Exile, I've joined NaNoWriMo this year, in large part because of all the discussion about it here. But this year the forum seems kind of quiet on the subject. Is anybody else going to take the challenge? I think I'm going to need all the friendship and commiseration I can muster for this. I feel like I'm sort-of making it up as I go along.

So, It's nice to finally intruduce myself and thank you for all the advice and amusement I've gotten anonymously, 'til now.

Hugo

Hugo, thank you for decloaking.

Hälsningar från den härliga Bronx.

(I hope my English/Swedish translator is working)

There are all sorts of reasons for doing NaNoWriMo 2009, or not doing it. My problem is that it represents a huge chunk of non-productive time in November (my busiest month). But it's wonderful practice. Especially if you're isolated in your beautiful Baltic island fortress plotting the takeover of the literary world.

As for the paucity of NaNoWriMo chatter, Steve hasn't put up the NaNoWriMo 2009 forum yet. (Notice that, as of now, there is only the 2007 and 2008 forums.)

Don't feel bad because you're "sort-of making it up as I go along". We all do that in every profession. Don't you think Hippocrates (460–377 bc, father of medicine) was making up medicine as he went along? Just think of yourself as Father Of The Hugo Writing Style. Or, if you'd rather not, buy a book or two on writing. Plenty of suggestions under Writing Resources.

Fifty-something ne'r-do-well.

- Thoth.

Hi, Hugo. Nice to "meet" you. My issue with NaNoWriMo is always that you're supposed to start a new project for the contest. If I ever am starting a new project in November, I'll happily sign up, But since I work full-time and can squeeze in fiction writing only on evenings and weekends, I need every free moment to work on the projects I already have underway (how do you count 50,000 revised words?).

But I think Calli and Steve and perhaps Julia are all planning to participate, and as Thoth notes, traffic will pick up once 2009 has its own forum. Meanwhile, feel free to haunt Procrastination Station when the woods and the ocean threaten to overwhelm you. Even silence can be too much of a good thing at times!

Beautiful place, the Baltic, although a little dark in the winter. I envy you, sort of.

Best,

Marguerite (admitting to neither age nor dilettantism). :rolleyes:

Ooh, I am the NaNo Queen! I'm doing it, running a write-in on Tuesday nights, and (planning on) attending as many other write-ins as I can. I LOVE it; done it since 2005. I didn't make it the first year, but that's because I wasn't taking it seriously. I'm in the process of editing my first book right now, but I don't anticipate it will stop me from writing a new one. I like to write two or three at the same time. Keeps my brain from stopping for too long. Perpetual motion and all. I have three solid possibilities (one sentence plots) to choose from, and if I would stop to give it some thought I'd probably pick one. If not, I'll just write whatever floats to the top of my head when I sit down. :D So don't worry if you don't have a plan - that's the best part.

Marguerite (who admits to neither age nor dilettantism), you keep me alternately laughing out loud and soberly contemplating your wisdom.

Calli, you are indeed the NaNo Queen. (Dance, NaNo Queen! Dance!)

Steve, you'd best get that NaNo '09 forum up or we'll be posting NaNo stuff all over the place.

"NaNo NaNo, Earthlings."

- Thoth.

I think I decided what to write today.

Your autobiography? Life As The NaNo Queen. It has a nice ring to it.

Bows deeply at the waist so your court can peep down my décolletage.

- Thoth.

We should move this to NaNo 2009. It's up now.

Archived