Storyist Forums

Calli's NaNo 09

astillac

Go man go! :D I'm so glad I needled you into it.

Resident Nag

- Calli

Me too! It's really breaking me of some of my bad slow-pokey "perfectionist" habits.

And to think, so far it has only cost me between five and six thousand dollars in lost revenues.

Cheap at he price.

:)

Resident Pushover

- Thoth

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
Finished the "vomit" draft end of last week. Working on the revisions now.

I'm working on the revisions now, too. But I'm only putting in a couple of hours a week. I'm at that stage where I actually dread having to read it over again (and again and again). Is it possible to over-polish your work?

Hang in there, Champ.

- Thoth.

I'm working on the revisions now, too. But I'm only putting in a couple of hours a week. I'm at that stage where I actually dread having to read it over again (and again and again). Is it possible to over-polish your work?

Hang in there, Champ.

- Thoth.

IMO, you need to get someone else to look at it before your final draft. In my own case, no matter how many times I revise a paragraph, I can find another way to change it. It feels like it can always be better. You need an impartial 3rd party to give you feedback.

IF

In my own case, no matter how many times I revise a paragraph, I can find another way to change it. It feels like it can always be better.

EXACTLY!

You need an impartial 3rd party to give you feedback.

Third party? I'm the first party. Who's the second party? As for "impartial", no such animal. And what if they want me to keep changing things? ("Change your POV character." "AAARG!")

Buried in snow without access to parties.

- Thoth.

Third party? I'm the first party. Who's the second party? As for "impartial", no such animal. And what if they want me to keep changing things? ("Change your POV character." "AAARG!")

Hey, a real friend will tell you when there's a booger hanging out of your nose. Real friends can be brutally impartial.

Enjoying the view of beautiful snow covered mountains out my office window,

IF

Hey, a real friend will tell you when there's a booger hanging out of your nose. Real friends can be brutally impartial.

Real friends can be brutally impartial but typically aren't because they don't want to hurt you with their brutality (what with their being your friend and all). And I don't believe anyone is impartial. Everyone has an agenda, even if it's just the nature of their opinion. ("First person POV is amateurish and evil!.") And what if your impartial friends see boogers that aren't there?

Enjoying the view of beautiful snow covered mountains out my office window.

I'd be happy to send you our beautiful snow to add to your mountains. COD, of course, with a nominal S&H charge.

- Thoth.

Real friends can be brutally impartial but typically aren't because they don't want to hurt you with their brutality (what with their being your friend and all).

Then it pays to have friends who are both brutally impartial and have no social filter. ;)

IF

Archived