Storyist Forums

Happy Birthday Julia Grace

Steve E

• 4 months later...

A big and very belated Thank you to you both!

I haven't done a NaNoWriMo yet, the prospect frightens me because I've never written anything that long yet and my writing style is....definitely not vomiting words upon a page and continuing on with no nit picking... I'm not sure how I'd go about that, but epending on what my November looks like this year I will keep it in mind. I am interested in the Script Frenzy, but since I've still got tons of un-packing and other moving things to do, I'm not sure I'll be ready. I've gotta figure out what a script is though. We'll see. If it's going to stress me out more I won't do it, but if it's something I could get into without too much stress I might take a whack at it.

...I am interested in the Script Frenzy, but since I've still got tons of un-packing and other moving things to do, I'm not sure I'll be ready. I've gotta figure out what a script is though. We'll see. If it's going to stress me out more I won't do it, but if it's something I could get into without too much stress I might take a whack at it.

Keep in mind that the OL&L people (who manage both NaNoWriMo and Script Frenzy) point out there is no judgement here. No one is going to look at your spelling or grammar or plot structure, or anything. You don't even have to finish on time (and most didn't at NaNo) or at all. At the end you just Print As PDF and let The Frenzy's furry little page counters do the rest of the work non-judgmentally. You can even do letter substitutions with Find & Replace beforehand to encrypt your work before sending it off. The only stress is the stress of a deadline and missing it has no consequences (except for your complete humiliation at the hands of idiots who care about such things — feed them to the snake!).

Moving is stressful. Script Frenzy could be a break from it. Only you can decide.

- Thoth.

lol I happen to be an idiot who cares about such things...... :D ... the infamous "they" keep teling me to stop caring so much about things such as grades and projects and never being perfect enough... but I still haven't managed to kick the habit.

I have however managed to feed myself.. or at least some skin... to a few of my snakes this year. I'm now officially part of the snake owner's club. 4 bites under my belt. 1 mistaken identity (thought my hand was the food) bite from my ball python, 2 chewing on me bites because I'm percieved as a threat by a little garter snake I rescued out of a terrible situation in Phila, and 1 "okay that hurts stop now" from my green tree python who was sick and I was fixing her again. That one left a 1/4" long tooth on my skin, which is now proudly taped in my journal. Wait... wasn't this about NaNo originally?....

How did you manage to get over the constant need to revise? I just finished reading all the NaNo '09 threads and noticed you're a constant reviser too. I don't know that I've ever drafted in my life. By drafted I mean, write a first draft, then go back and rewrite. I write slowly and with drafts and revisions all in one.... o.0 ... Are there any tricks to getting past that?

lol I happen to be an idiot who cares about such things...... ^_^ ... the infamous "they" keep teling me to stop caring so much about things such as grades and projects and never being perfect enough... but I still haven't managed to kick the habit.

I have however managed to feed myself.. or at least some skin... to a few of my snakes this year. I'm now officially part of the snake owner's club. 4 bites under my belt. 1 mistaken identity (thought my hand was the food) bite from my ball python, 2 chewing on me bites because I'm percieved as a threat by a little garter snake I rescued out of a terrible situation in Phila, and 1 "okay that hurts stop now" from my green tree python who was sick and I was fixing her again. That one left a 1/4" long tooth on my skin, which is now proudly taped in my journal. Wait... wasn't this about NaNo originally?....

How did you manage to get over the constant need to revise? I just finished reading all the NaNo '09 threads and noticed you're a constant reviser too. I don't know that I've ever drafted in my life. By drafted I mean, write a first draft, then go back and rewrite. I write slowly and with drafts and revisions all in one.... o.0 ... Are there any tricks to getting past that?

Yes. Commit yourself to writing a hundred-page script in 30 days. No time, and the obsessive self (believe me, I understand!) focuses on finishing, rather than revising. :P

Remember, it doesn't have to be a good script. No one will see it but you. I'm using mine to work the kinks out of the second half of my unwritten novel, and it's already helped me past a couple of deadlocks.

Best,

M

Hahaha.

I am seriously considering it. I do have to go read that page about what exactly a script is though!

Oh, and working out deadlocks in the current novel was something I'd thought of as well.... though, the deadlock is that I have no idea what to do next... o.O

lol I happen to be an idiot who cares about such things...... :P ... the infamous "they" keep teling me to stop caring so much about things such as grades and projects and never being perfect enough... but I still haven't managed to kick the habit.

I know. I know. It's hard. We perfect people suffer in a hell of our own making that the less-perfect-than-we simply do not understand.

I have however managed to feed myself.. or at least some skin... to a few of my snakes this year. I'm now officially part of the snake owner's club. 4 bites under my belt. 1 mistaken identity (thought my hand was the food) bite from my ball python, 2 chewing on me bites because I'm percieved as a threat by a little garter snake I rescued out of a terrible situation in Phila, and 1 "okay that hurts stop now" from my green tree python who was sick and I was fixing her again. That one left a 1/4" long tooth on my skin, which is now proudly taped in my journal.

Okay. You do know that when I said "feed them to the snake" I wasn't talking about sacrificing yourself. ^_^

How did you manage to get over the constant need to revise?

Yes. I am an unrepentant and unreformed tweaker. But NaNo helped me a lot in that area. M got it exactly right.

Commit yourself to writing a hundred-page script in 30 days.

The deadline overcomes the obsessive self. There is probably a psychological term for that, or should be.

Be stress-free/Have some tea

- Thoth

Oh, and working out deadlocks in the current novel was something I'd thought of as well.... though, the deadlock is that I have no idea what to do next... o.O

I know this sounds weird but when I hit a deadlock I plow right through it, even if it means writing something utterly absurd. Then I sleep on it. (The gold mine fully collapsed on her and her pet ferret. Trapped ten miles underground with ten minutes of air there was simply no way out... Then her loyal ferret teleported them both to safety.) The next day I can usually look at the absurdity and figure out how to make it make sense without resorting to a Douglas Adams cliché. (Didn't know ferrets could teleport, did you.)

- Thoth

Ferrets having teleportation abilities would explain a few things for ferret owners everywhere...

*wistful sigh* ah ferrets..... they're on the horizon for me. Perhaps this summer... must get the moving finished and other things under control though. I've always wanted to train some for animal assisted therapy every since I got to play with a therapy ferret at the hospital my grandad was in way back when. The ferrets I previously had didn't have the temperament or training though.

My Aunt Eve had a ferret. And, yes, teleportation would explain how her slippers kept winding up in the oddest places. Wendel (the ferret) liked to hide under things, like the bed or a chair or a couch, and then flash out from underneath the moment anyone sat down. I don't know if this is typical ferret behavior but it wasn't exactly conducive to animal assisted therapy. More like animal assisted cardiac arrest.

Did you know they actually make Ferret Chow?

- Thoth.

Hahahaa, yes that is fairly typical ferret behavior, but in AAT, they're restrained on leashes or laps. A well trained ferret with the proper temperament could be trained to do tricks and do other things necessary. I know of ferrets being used with Autistic children and other children. They are not the best for use with very small children or those who need animals who hold still to pet. Most therapy groups won't even consider them, but they do have their place. I want to get two young kits and do a lot of training with them to see what is possible. Plus, they make wonderful writing inspiration. I wrote and published (in a series on a mailing list) two short stories about ferrets. They were a hit. It's about the only thing I have published, albiet a digital publishing in a mailing list and not anything more official.

Ooooooh yes I am well acquainted with the world of Ferret Chow (and the lack of nutrition contained in most of it, as within most pet foods).... there are whole forums dedicated to this stuff. Ferret people form quite an interesting culture. Haha.

Ooooooh yes I am well acquainted with the world of Ferret Chow (and the lack of nutrition contained in most of it, as within most pet foods).... there are whole forums dedicated to this stuff. Ferret people form quite an interesting culture. Haha.

Ferret forums? My Aunt will be very glad to hear about this. Thank you. Wendel is long gone but she as e-mailed me about getting another pet. She's a spry octogenarian and still active on the World Wide Net (as she insists on calling it).

- Thoth

Awww thank you so much! :) I need to update things more... isn't recent work and my poor blog is severely neglected.

Oh, I tried to check out your blog TAS and got "This website is temporarily unavailable, please try again later." :(

Awww thank you so much! :) I need to update things more... isn't recent work and my poor blog is severely neglected.

Oh, I tried to check out your blog TAS and got "This website is temporarily unavailable, please try again later." :(

Yeah something with my domain, not really concerned cause that blog is just kinda "Whatever" right now, I will have a fresh new site coming later this year! I will update when it's ready.

Archived