Storyist Forums

Some more requests

thealtruismsociety

Ability to highlight text then generate a word count from it.

Keyboard shortcut for start and stop using the read aloud feature.

Some of the other tools found in Google Docs would be nice.

For example for the prologue to the story I'm writing, (Which is not being taken into account for my 50,000) here is what Googe docs can give me.

Counts Selection Document

Words: - 3885

Characters (no spaces): - 17834

Characters (with spaces): - 21716

Paragraphs: - 46

Sentences: - 235

Pages (approximate): - 3

Readability Selection Document

Average sentences per paragraph: - 5.11

Average words per sentence: - 16.53

Average characters per word: - 4.59

Average words per page: - 1295.00

Flesch Reading Ease: [?] - 66.85

Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level: [?] - 8.00

Automated Readability Index: [?] - 9.00

Storyist should already do this in the word count on the bottom status bar.

I think you can configure this for all apps through system preferences, but I haven't tried it.

IF

Some of the other tools found in Google Docs would be nice.

For example for the prologue to the story I'm writing, (Which is not being taken into account for my 50,000) here is what Googe docs can give me.

Counts Selection Document

Words: - 3885

Characters (no spaces): - 17834

Characters (with spaces): - 21716

Paragraphs: - 46

Sentences: - 235

Pages (approximate): - 3

Readability Selection Document

Average sentences per paragraph: - 5.11

Average words per sentence: - 16.53

Average characters per word: - 4.59

Average words per page: - 1295.00

Flesch Reading Ease: [?] - 66.85

Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level: [?] - 8.00

Automated Readability Index: [?] - 9.00

Thanks TAS,

As Isaac pointed out, you can get the word count of selected text from the command bar at the bottom of the view.

You can't at this point assign a command key for the speaking menu items using Storyist, but there are some third party utilities that will allow you to do that.

More stats are coming. There is another post for this. Character count is chief among them. I don't have any plans yet for the advanced stats (readability, Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level, Automated Readability Index) though, so more discussion on these would be great. How would you use them?

-Steve

... I don't have any plans yet for the advanced stats (readability, Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level, Automated Readability Index) though, so more discussion on these would be great. How would you use them?

I suppose that if I were writing for eighth graders I'd want to know that my Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level was 8 or as close to 8 as possible. If I were writing for teens I'd want it to be between 7 and 12 (inclusive). If I were writing at the University level — well, you get the idea. The various readability scores (that TAS lists above) at their core all give you pretty much the same information: how easy is this to read.

Additionally? We already have words per Section. I'd like to include a subtotal of words per Chapter. I'd also like to see pages per Section and Chapter. It helps me balance my writing. (You know, "oops, this chapter/section is getting too big, better break it up".)

- Thoth.

• 3 months later...
I'm interested in being able to link to other documents on my hard drive. I have made significant use of website links yet I have other documents which need to be connected to particular spots in the story.

Thanks Jordanfel. I agree that this would be useful, especially for photos from your photo library (but also for other docs).

-Steve

Archived