Storyist Forums

Nano Re-Moose

Steakpirate

Hey everybody. How it do? I've been out of the world for a spell due to school and such.

As I don't have the time to participate in NaNoWriMo this year, I thought I'd cheer the rest of you on from the sidelines.

I'm interested as to what you all will be working on, as you all look delicious I've found you quite the interesting bunch.

If you're game, post your book ideas in the form of a movie pitch/blurb/mini-synopsis, as well as your previous history of NaNoWriMo activity, and if you so desire, a page or so of your story (hidden through a spoiler box or the like as to be avoidable.)

The cake is a lie!

NaNo Book Idea: Winging it.

Previous history of NaNoWriMo activity: None

Time to spare writing non-Nano stuff: Precious little.

FYi: There's a steak-eating anthropomorphic-tiger pirate in the story. (And a bunny pirate too!)

The Storyist forum is a well of inspiration.

Be At Peace.

- Thoth.

My story about a girl that becomes someone else every seven years - and everyone that knew the previous version of her forgets her, and everything she did comes undone. It sounds like a downer, but really it's about how she overcomes this. It's a love story!

I've done NaNo since '05, here is my profile, and there is absolutely nothing worth showing to anyone at this moment. :lol: Also, I just got to 30k tonight.

My story about a girl that becomes someone else every seven years - and everyone that knew the previous version of her forgets her, and everything she did comes undone. It sounds like a downer, but really it's about how she overcomes this. It's a love story!

Sounds like she's slipping between alternate universes. My character is doing that too. Great minds, and all that. Well, she's being pushed through alternate universes by a power-mad writer who found the secret of making his writing a reality, but every alteration to his story brings bigger and bigger unplanned consequences.

...Also, I just got to 30k tonight.

Congratulations! I think I might hit the halfway mark tomorrow. Maybe.

- Thoth.

NaNo Book Idea: Fantasy Love Story in Space

Previous history of NaNoWriMo activity: None

Time to spare writing non-Nano stuff: I barely have time to write Nano related stuff

Just hit 20k words too.

Sorry no synopsis or slug line yet, learning how to write those too, hehe.

Congrats on your respective wordcounts! They put anything I've written thus far to shame.

I'm not Nanoing this year, but I thought I'd plop up the blurb for one of the books I'm actually "technically" in the process of writing. (Stalled out on page 17 due to school, waiting to get back to it, and then there's the other novel I'm working on simultaneously...)

----------

The year is 2250AD. The world has become a much smaller place due to overpopulation, and technology has continued to advance. Sitting alone in a wealthy man's parking garage, a neglected sports car befriends a stray cat. The vehicle wearies of her simple life, and with her feline companion decides to run away from home, in search of adventure, the meaning of life, and something more. In the process she discovers a new home, and a family of which she could never have dreamed.

The year is 2250AD. The world has become a much smaller place due to overpopulation, and technology has continued to advance. Sitting alone in a wealthy man's parking garage, a neglected sports car befriends a stray cat. The vehicle wearies of her simple life, and with her feline companion decides to run away from home, in search of adventure, the meaning of life, and something more. In the process she discovers a new home, and a family of which she could never have dreamed.

A neglected sports car befriends a stray cat — I love this! Disney and Pixar will fight over the movie rights. (Or have those two merged yet?) Of course, if you want to go a darker route, they could go on a spaying and neutering spree in order to get the human population down to a manageable level. See, they save the world and find love.

Definitely want to hear more, SP.

- Thoth.

BTW: Passed my halfway mark in Nano.

A neglected sports car befriends a stray cat — I love this! Disney and Pixar will fight over the movie rights. (Or have those two merged yet?) Of course, if you want to go a darker route, they could go on a spaying and neutering spree in order to get the human population down to a manageable level. See, they save the world and find love.

Definitely want to hear more, SP.

- Thoth.

BTW: Passed my halfway mark in Nano.

Hahahah. Actually it's a bit more serious than the Blurb suggests, I've sort of got the whole thing planned out. Despite its playful nature, it (will) address what will someday be a real issue.

I'd be happy to send you what I've got so far for either novel, but you're not allowed to share it with anyone on pain of neutering.

I'd be honored but I'd prefer to wait until it's finished. You'll probably change your mind about a few things a few times. It's just the nature of the beast.

What did you think of Portnoy's Complaint? I haven't read it since High School (1969, god help me). How does it stand up to the test of time?

- Thoth.

I'd be honored but I'd prefer to wait until it's finished. You'll probably change your mind about a few things a few times. It's just the nature of the beast.

What did you think of Portnoy's Complaint? I haven't read it since High School (1969, god help me). How does it stand up to the test of time?

- Thoth.

You'll be waiting a whiiiiile. The car story is the second priority of my two initial novels.

Portnoy's was great (although I had to look up quite a few yiddish words.) I was fairly happy with my book analysis but I think my professor will find a reason to rip it apart. Wikipedia claims that the theme of the book is, well, Portnoy's complaint. I claimed that it was the self-persecution of the Jews. (As I'm Jewish by blood, I can talk about Jewtacular stuff without getting into too much trouble.)

Sexual references and general Judaica aside, I saw the book as a compilation of both the assimilation experiences of American Jews, and the assimilation experiences of teens in general. I think Roth really had an ear for the language of his time (and place) but I'm not so sure his messages are (as people say) timeless. I have the distinct feeling that teens are a little different today than they were two generations (40 years!) ago.

I wonder if "Banned in Australia" helped or hurt sales?

- Thoth.

Sexual references and general Judaica aside, I saw the book as a compilation of both the assimilation experiences of American Jews, and the assimilation experiences of teens in general. I think Roth really had an ear for the language of his time (and place) but I'm not so sure his messages are (as people say) timeless. I have the distinct feeling that teens are a little different today than they were two generations (40 years!) ago.

I wonder if "Banned in Australia" helped or hurt sales?

- Thoth.

Oh my yes. And the difference in influence of the religion VS. this newfangled world of science is startling.

Oh my yes. And the difference in influence of the religion VS. this newfangled world of science is startling.

Startling, yes. But it's eternally so. In the 1860s they argued the religious significance of machine guns and high explosives. In the 1920s it was that darn Darwin (Scopes Trial, 1926). In the 1940s it was the Atom Bomb ("...now I am become Death [shiva], the destroyer of worlds...", Physicist Robert Oppenheimer the Supervising Scientist Manhattan Project). It never ends.

In February of 1616 Galileo Galilei was condemned by the Catholic Church for heliocentrism as "false and contrary to Scripture." Several states in the US have similar laws on the books (although watered down some) almost four centuries later.

And the beat goes on...

- Thoth.

Archived