Storyist Forums

questions before considering purchase

Sangit

hi there

i'm considering the purchase of the product and have tested the trial but still some points bother me

so i'd like to ask if we can them expect to be fixed

1.) page margins seem not to be saved with the document. whenever i open the file again, all page margins are reset to 1.25

(on snow leopard changing the margin sometimes leads to very unstable behavior, a process called fontd pops up in the activity monitor taking large cpu resources and storyist doesnt respond for a few seconds whenever you click a different sheet in the project window)

2.) the cork texture in the background. can that be changed at some point? it's totally ugly and distracting :lol:))

3.) how about syllabication? i noticed all my text to look strange in the beginning, then i realized no words were divided which leads to very ugly justification

4.) can the layout/style of e.g. the "characters" pages be changed? the fonts there (especially the yellow header) totally distracts and doesnt match the manuscript

i really think its a great product, but as for now i have to stay writing with pages 09, mainly because of the hyphenisation and margin issue

looking forward to hear storyist develop on those features

Hi Sangit,

Welcome to the forums!

hi there

i'm considering the purchase of the product and have tested the trial but still some points bother me

so i'd like to ask if we can them expect to be fixed

1.) page margins seem not to be saved with the document. whenever i open the file again, all page margins are reset to 1.25

Yes, this will be fixed in the next patch release (2.1.4).

(on snow leopard changing the margin sometimes leads to very unstable behavior, a process called fontd pops up in the activity monitor taking large cpu resources and storyist doesnt respond for a few seconds whenever you click a different sheet in the project window)

Unfortunately, this isn't a Storyist bug. Snow Leopard has some font problems. (Google "snow leopard font problems" for more info).

I haven't tested 10.6.2 extensively, but I expect the fontd performance problems to be fixed in a future Snow Leopard release. I'm also looking for a way to mitigate the problem in Storyist.

2.) the cork texture in the background. can that be changed at some point? it's totally ugly and distracting :lol:))

This has already been requested, and a future release will have an interface for providing your own texture. If you're handy with Photoshop, I can show you how to replace it in the app bundle if you want.

3.) how about syllabication? i noticed all my text to look strange in the beginning, then i realized no words were divided which leads to very ugly justification

Also on the list, but lower priority since novel manuscripts and screenplays don't require hyphenation. It is certainly useful for other projects, however, and I do plan to add support.

4.) can the layout/style of e.g. the "characters" pages be changed? the fonts there (especially the yellow header) totally distracts and doesnt match the manuscript

Not at present. Customizing fonts and template text is on the list too, but realistically several months out.

i really think its a great product, but as for now i have to stay writing with pages 09, mainly because of the hyphenisation and margin issue

looking forward to hear storyist develop on those features

Thanks Sangit.

-Steve

Archived