Storyist Forums

More Inserting Page Number * Header/Footer options

orrenm

Right now, we have an option to insert a page number, and it will automatically start numbering pages from the first page to the last page. However:

* If you are laying out a novel for self-publication, the correct format is to start counting pages after the copyright and dedication pages.

* Also, those first pages do not get a header or footer.

However, with Storyist, you can only select a different header/footer for Page 1, and even if you do delete the header/footer for page 1, when you insert a page number on the header/footer of page 2, rather than beginning the count at page 1, it begins it at page 2.

Therefore, I would like to see two new options, which hopefully are pretty simple to implement:

1) The ability to add a header/footer at a given page, and choose "add header/footer from this page forward." This way, I could add a header/footer to the 7th page, and it wouldn't automatically put them on every page from the first page on.

2) A preference to start the page count at the first page the page number is added to the document. So if I add the page number to the 7th page, which is the first text page, that will be page 1.

Thanks!

Orren

Right now, we have an option to insert a page number, and it will automatically start numbering pages from the first page to the last page. However:

* If you are laying out a novel for self-publication, the correct format is to start counting pages after the copyright and dedication pages.

* Also, those first pages do not get a header or footer.

However, with Storyist, you can only select a different header/footer for Page 1, and even if you do delete the header/footer for page 1, when you insert a page number on the header/footer of page 2, rather than beginning the count at page 1, it begins it at page 2.

Therefore, I would like to see two new options, which hopefully are pretty simple to implement:

1) The ability to add a header/footer at a given page, and choose "add header/footer from this page forward." This way, I could add a header/footer to the 7th page, and it wouldn't automatically put them on every page from the first page on.

2) A preference to start the page count at the first page the page number is added to the document. So if I add the page number to the 7th page, which is the first text page, that will be page 1.

Thanks!

Orren

Hi Orren,

Feature 2 is pretty straightforward. Feature 1 is more involved.

Out of curiosity, what self-publishing house are you preparing your manuscript for?

-Steve

Hi Orren,

Feature 2 is pretty straightforward. Feature 1 is more involved.

Gotcha. So...feature 2 it is first, then! :)

Out of curiosity, what self-publishing house are you preparing your manuscript for?

For self-publishing, there are two formats that I'm going to prepare for, and I need the page numbers for the second:

For Print-On-Demand, I'll use Lightning Source (http://www.lightningsource.com). I already have a business called "Darkling Ventures" that encompasses my freelance music and writing projects, so I'll also create a "publishing house" moniker under it, which will publish any fiction I write that isn't picked up by a publisher. For Lightning Source, you're really preparing the final manuscript as it will appear in a book. The page numbers here are mostly irrelevant, since I'll have the books laid out in InDesign and it will handle numbering.

For eBooks, I'm looking at Smashwords (http://www.smashwords.com). They have a very specific automated eBook formatting program that takes a Word doc and spits it into a dozen eBook formats, called, appropriately enough, "Meatgrinder." If you want your book to appear in B&N, Amazon, and other distributors, you need to be excruciatingly precise in your formatting. And one such requirement is that your page numbering begins *after* the title, dedication, and copyright pages.

FYI, the specific incident that resulted in my feature request was that an agent asked me for some material, and she was extremely specific in what she wanted, the exact order, formatting, headers, and page numbering. Specifically, she wanted an author bio, synopsis, and 50 sample pages in that order, all in one Word document, with the page numbering in the header and page 1 being the first manuscript chapter, not the author bio or synopsis. As you probably know, there is a bit of a way to fake being able to start page numbers anywhere in Word (I made each different piece it's own "section" and then put page numbering only in the sample page section) but there was no way to do that in Storyist that I could find.

Ultimately, I'd like to be able to do everything in Storyist (short of InDesign layout), so if an agent or eBook formatting app or whatever has a specific demand for a formatted Word document, I can simply Export what they want and be done with it. :)

Take care,

Orren

• 2 years later...

I don't know if I should have started a new post for this, but it's sort of in line with what Orren posted. Anyway I will be submitting some of my manuscripts soon, and the acceptable formats are .RTF or .DOC. Is there any way for Storyist to export to either format and include the page numbers? In other words, export so it looks exactly like within Storyist? If I print my manuscript to PDF then it includes everything, Name / Title / Page number in the top right corner.

If this isn't possible, does anyone know of a Word template that would accommodate this, where I can just flow in my text?

Thx

I have a template predefined with Storyist styles here: http://storyist.invisionzone.com/index.php/topic/1960-converting-word-files-to-storyist/#entry15537. You will find instructions in the file itself.

You have to rename the file extension from .doc to .dot to make it a Word template. The forums would not permit me to upload a .dot file.

Best,

Marguerite

Thanks Steve. Ok I get the Big Duh award. I was looking at the exported RTF in TextEdit, which of course doesn't show that information. :huh:

Yes, this is a common problem. TextEdit and Pages do not respect RTF styles, even when they retain the formatting (italics, say), which they don't always. If you open the RTF in Word or OpenOffice, you will have much better results. (The same applies in the opposite direction: use Word or OpenOffice to create the RTF you plan to import into Storyist.)

Glad you found the template helpful. You may also want to check out the Using Storyist forum, where I posted detailed instructions on using styles to simplify import/export. Steve pinned the post near the top of the forum to make it easy to find. :)

Best,

Marguerite

Archived