Storyist Forums

Duplicating Manuscript?

Joolissa

Hey all,

So, after taking around a 2 year break from my book, I read through what I have (thanks to putting it on my iphone so I couldn't make any edits) and now want get back to it and edit a bunch. I'd like to preserve what I have currently and be able to edit another copy of it within the same storyist file. I figure the easiest way to do this would be to duplicate the manuscript and title one Draft 1. That way I can hack up one copy, but still have what I originally wrote.

I'm sure this has probably been covered before, but my memory is failing me (as is the search and search on google), so I can't find any information about how to go about duplicating a manuscript if it's even possible. There also could be a feature of Storyist I'm forgetting about that would serve my purpose though.

I tried exporting and then importing as another manuscript, but that loses all the formatting/chapters/sections.

I'd appreciate any enlightenment. I'd also appreciate any enlightenment to features that have been added/updated/changed since November, but that might be another forum section.

Goodnight room. Goodnight moon and goodnight Thoth holding the red balloon.

- JulZzzzzzzzzzz

ps. Its my 2-3-4 post! ..... small things make a tired Jules happy.

...I'd also appreciate any enlightenment to features that have been added/updated/changed since November...

Simple. Just check Beta Announcements.

My, but you are a sleepy Joolzzz. I hope that you haven't forgotten to feed your mice, or your mice to your snake, or your snake to the old lady who swallowed the spider that wiggled and jiggled and giggled inside her.

Witty enough for one evening.

- Thoth.

Hahahaha! I've missed that slightly twisted sense of humor of yours.

As for checking the beta stuff.. I'm moseying my way over there, but I was wondering if anything had come out of Beta since I've been gone.

You skipped over the actual question you know.

- Jooli

You skipped over the actual question you know.

- Jooli

Must be my slightly twisted mind.

I don't think Steve allows you to Import a Storyist file. But you can open both files at the same time, just in different windows. Or, if you insist on having them both in the same window, select MANUSCRIPTS (optional) and choose Project>Add To Project>Novel Manuscript. Then do a Copy & Paste from the other file (which you have open anyway) under the new Untitled Novel Manuscript you just created.

Perhaps there are other ways.

- Thoth.

Emphasis on slightly eh?

Hmm, I tried copy pasting from the manuscript to the new manuscript I added, but again it deleted all the chapters/sections. So, no luck with that.

I suppose I'll be saving it as a separate file just to preserve it, but if there are any other ideas I'm open!

I'll probably be adding a feature request to have the ability to duplicate things (manuscript, sheets, etc.) as well as the ability to import another Storyist manuscript/file into your file (though I suspect that would be a complicated and messy prospect)

Messy & Complicated

- Jools

Hmm, I tried copy pasting from the manuscript to the new manuscript I added, but again it deleted all the chapters/sections. So, no luck with that.

It preserves the Sections but the Chapters, while in the Manuscript, do not appear in the Project Pane. This could be a bug. Yep, this could get messy and complicated. Are you using the latest version?

Emphasis on slightly eh?

Messy & Complicated

- Jools

Everything is relative.

Neat and Simple (slightly).

- Thoth.

Ah yes, you're right. It does keep the sections. I was confused because I have more sections than what I was seeing, but that's because it merged sections at the end and beginning of chapters in it's deletion of the chapter breaks.

I am wondering if I need to recreate my Storyist file from scratch (a completely daunting prospect) because I think mine might be bug-filled. I still have 3 (mysteriously) dead bookmarks from way back when. They refuse to leave my trash can.

Ah yes, you're right. It does keep the sections. I was confused because I have more sections than what I was seeing, but that's because it merged sections at the end and beginning of chapters in it's deletion of the chapter breaks.

I am wondering if I need to recreate my Storyist file from scratch (a completely daunting prospect) because I think mine might be bug-filled. I still have 3 (mysteriously) dead bookmarks from way back when. They refuse to leave my trash can.

Why not e-mail it to Steve and throw yourself on his mercy? He'll probably clean it up for you. It's also a good idea to save the file as a template (even if you change the characters and such later, you're still better off than starting from scratch).

We could tell you what's been going on with the betas, but only in the beta area. That vow of secrecy again.... :D

Best,

M

Thoth, what happens if I feed them after midnight and get them wet? Do they turn into awesome Overlady minions?

Also, M, what does saving as a template do for me? I'm terribly rusty with all the styles and template features.

I might send it off to Steve, though, I might have to make him sign a non-disclosure! =P

I am making my way down to Beta area.... I can hear it calling me.....

oh Jullesy girl... the betas, the betas are calling....

-J

Thoth, what happens if I feed them after midnight and get them wet? Do they turn into awesome Overlady minions?

If you get them wet they get soggy. Nobody wants a soggy bookmark.

If you feed them after midnight they get fat, can't sleep and are all cranky the next day. And who wants that?

I am making my way down to Beta area.... I can hear it calling me.....

Ah. Good. We can use your 2¢. The cost of electrons are going up..

oh Jullesy girl... the betas, the betas are calling....

-J

From forum to forum, and down the mountain side.

The summer's just begun, and all the flowers are blooming.

'Tis you, 'tis you must go (to the forum) and I must do laundry.

- Thoth.

Also, M, what does saving as a template do for me? I'm terribly rusty with all the styles and template features.

J

It saves a clean copy of the document that will show up in your opening file gallery, forever more or until you drag it out of ~/Library/Application Support/Storyist/Templates, where ~ is your home folder (but you wouldn't drag it out except to copy it, because that would defeat the purpose of this exercise). If the bookmarks get buggy (but that probably was left over from one of the betas—I remember the wails), you can reopen an untitled file based on the template and just hunt down your latest backup to recopy changed text. The template itself remains unchanged, ready to help you recover from the next twist of fate.

To be honest, it was most useful in the pre-v2 days when a .story file could contain only one manuscript. The template offered a way around having to create everything from scratch if you wanted to start book 2 in a series. You could get the same results by letting Steve clean up your file and then backing it up immediately. Either way, the point is to have a file somewhere on your computer that you know has no insect life. With the backups, you don't know how far back in time you have to go to find a clean one.

It'll all come back to you, Juliana. :D

M

I might send it off to Steve, though, I might have to make him sign a non-disclosure! =P

Hi Julia,

Sorry, I'm late to the discussion today.

I'd be happy to take a look at it for you. If you did use this project to test the various 2.0 beta builds, you might have run across the bookmark beta bug.

Also, there is an undocumented way to duplicate the manuscript: As in Finder, hold the Option key while dragging the manuscript to a new location in the project.

There are a currently couple of rough edges (which is why it is currently not documented): The icon for the copy shows as a notebook entry and comments/bookmarks aren't duplicated, but your text and stylesheet are preserved.

-Steve

Also, there is an undocumented way to duplicate the manuscript: As in Finder, hold the Option key while dragging the manuscript to a new location in the project.

There are a currently couple of rough edges (which is why it is currently not documented): The icon for the copy shows as a notebook entry and comments/bookmarks aren't duplicated, but your text and stylesheet are preserved.

I just tried this. Got the notebook icon but it was completely empty. No Chapters. No Sections. No text. Nothing.

Was there something else I was suppose to do besides an Option-drag?

- Thoth

I just tried this. Got the notebook icon but it was completely empty. No Chapters. No Sections. No text. Nothing.

Was there something else I was suppose to do besides an Option-drag?

- Thoth

Click in the new manuscript somewhere. Told you there were some rough edges. :D

-Steve

Okay, I did the option drag thing and got a nice copy of it, but I'm having Thoth's issue, it's empty. No chapters or sections. The text is there, but nothing shows up when you click the little unfolding arrow thingy. I clicked into the new manuscript as well, but that didn't fix the issue.

I think I better bite the bullet and send you the file Steve. I honestly can't remember about the Beta testing thing. I have a separate copy that I kept with the copy of the storyist betas so that in the case of major crash-age I didn't lose anything, but it could be I started off opening my original file in it. Where do I send the thing?

M, I'm still confused about the template. Wouldn't making this a template just have a template with all my text, characters, etc. etc. in it? Or is that the point... save it as a template every so often to save from disasters? Though, wouldn't duplicating the file onto a backup drive do the same? Sorry if I'm not understanding your original meaning.

M, I'm still confused about the template. Wouldn't making this a template just have a template with all my text, characters, etc. etc. in it? Or is that the point... save it as a template every so often to save from disasters? Though, wouldn't duplicating the file onto a backup drive do the same? Sorry if I'm not understanding your original meaning.

Yes, the template has everything in it (you can edit out whatever you don't want, but in this case you want everything). And yes, saving to a backup drive essentially produces the same results. So does choosing File > Backup and saving a backup (which has the advantage of allowing you to create comments that tell you where exactly in the process you made this backup).

But there is one crucial difference. When you open a template, you open a copy of the file, and the original remains, unchanged, in your templates folder. Choosing File > Backups and clicking on the backup you want, then choosing Open Copy also does this and may work better for you, so long as you know when the bug crept in. But that's not always easy to tell, which is why I suggested the template option.

And yes, you would save as a template whenever you made significant changes, so as not to lose much if you had to go back a stage.

Best,

M

Hmmmm, but wouldn't the bugs save in the template too? I will have to play with it.

I'm waiting for Steve to tell me where to send my file for maintenance, too. Haha.

Hmmmm, but wouldn't the bugs save in the template too? I will have to play with it.

I'm waiting for Steve to tell me where to send my file for maintenance, too. Haha.

If you create the template now, yes. But if you create it after Steve cleans up the file, no. You will have a clean copy (and know it's clean).

Best,

M

Archived