Storyist Forums

Snow In Da Glorious Bronx

Steve E

The north-east Bronx (the glorious part) is having its first significant snowfall in a long time. Looking out my window I can barely see anything but these HUGE snowflakes (more like snowballs than snowflakes) coming down fast and accumulating. No drop-and-melt for these flakes. No Sir-ee Bob! These flakes are going to stick around for a while.

Pleased to have other people shoveling my walkway.

- Thoth.

The north-east Bronx (the glorious part) is having its first significant snowfall in a long time. Looking out my window I can barely see anything but these HUGE snowflakes (more like snowballs than snowflakes) coming down fast and accumulating. No drop-and-melt for these flakes. No Sir-ee Bob! These flakes are going to stick around for a while.

Stories like this make me love Colorado more. ;)

IF

I know you're all on pins and needles, waiting for the latest weather report from Da Glorious Bronx so: It has stopped snowing and the temperature is 35F and climbing (probably to 39F). Roads have been cleared (more or less) and there is a pristine white sheet blanketing everything else.

A nice hot-chocolate moment.

Pass the tiny marshmallows.

- Thoth.

That's Dover for you. Around here our snow is plenty sticky. I think that's how the Bronx dinosaurs died: stuck in the snow.

- Thoth.

The Philadelphia dinosaurs too. They should be holding the Winter Olympics in my back yard. I hear they had to truck the snow into Vancouver, and even then it won't stick around long enough for the skiing trials!

Stay cozy, everyone. ;)

M

Snow day!

Ever since my kids had a snow day for school, every time we get a dusting my six year old asks me if it's a snow day and if she can stay home.

IF

Kids have trouble with the seeming inconsistency of it all. Last week they called a Snow Day in NYC for Wednesday on Tuesday, expecting the blizzard to reach it's peak about the time the kids were let out. (It happened way sooner.) So yesterday we had about four (additional) inches and the kids are all "so why don't we get today off too?!"

The fluffy stuff is nice, but with the temperature sporadically poking its head above freezing like a whack-a-mole (it's 33F at the moment) much of the snow is melting and refreezing, giving the cleared walkways a treacherous coating of slush over hard slippery ice. Then there's the crust factor: a child-supporting layer of hard white ice over several inches of the fluffy stuff. Kids love the crust. Adults, not so much.

So this is my report on the blizzard's messy afterbirth. It has spawned many a snowman.

Stay Warm (and those of you in SoCal, stay cool).

- Thoth

Archived