Storyist Forums

Apple's notification system on iPhone pisses me of so bad sometimes.

thealtruismsociety

Apple has the WORST notification system of any phone OS. I hope they fix that in this summers update. Seriously it's horrible. You know what it's like? Picture yourself on a quiet serene beach. Ok got that? The sun is not hot but warm. Your in an easy chair lounging. You have a nice fruity alcoholic drink next to you that your sipping without a care in the world. Close your eyes now. You can feel a cool breeze from the ocean caresses your skin. All is right with the world and you are at peace. Got that in your mind? Good now imagine a old man jumping right in front of you. He is naked and holding a stadium horn which he begins blowing incessantly while kicking sand in your face. That would kinda ruin the picture you had before wouldn't it? That old man is Apple's notification system. Apple: Nobody wants a naked old man jumping in front of them. Fix it please.

Apple has the WORST notification system of any phone OS. I hope they fix that in this summers update. Seriously it's horrible. You know what it's like? Picture yourself on a quiet serene beach. Ok got that? The sun is not hot but warm. Your in an easy chair lounging. You have a nice fruity alcoholic drink next to you that your sipping without a care in the world. Close your eyes now. You can feel a cool breeze from the ocean caresses your skin. All is right with the world and you are at peace. Got that in your mind? Good now imagine a old man jumping right in front of you. He is naked and holding a stadium horn which he begins blowing incessantly while kicking sand in your face. That would kinda ruin the picture you had before wouldn't it? That old man is Apple's notification system. Apple: Nobody wants a naked old man jumping in front of them. Fix it please.

Hm. Prose aren't bad. If you're going to expand it into a book (NaNoWriMo?) or script (Script Frenzy?) you could title it, Apple's Notification System: Why Is Steve Jobs Naked. You can work some more on the title.

- Thoth

To ask the obvious question, what do you dislike so much?

I can tell you what I miss most: IMAP IDLE support (obviously, if you don't know what that is, you're not missing it :lol: )

But that's an error of omission; it doesn't make Apple's notifications obnoxious, it's that it's not giving me some push notifications that I want.

You realize that there are settings panes for Notifications (turn them globally on/off, or the various elements [sound, dialog, etc] of third party app notification. There are other options in the Sound pane, etc.

Or perhaps the other question is what would you prefer?

Not disagreeing with you, I just haven't been bothered so far by the ANS. Or maybe I'm just used to naked men on the beach?

Orren

To ask the obvious question, what do you dislike so much?

I can tell you what I miss most: IMAP IDLE support (obviously, if you don't know what that is, you're not missing it :lol: )

But that's an error of omission; it doesn't make Apple's notifications obnoxious, it's that it's not giving me some push notifications that I want.

You realize that there are settings panes for Notifications (turn them globally on/off, or the various elements [sound, dialog, etc] of third party app notification. There are other options in the Sound pane, etc.

Or perhaps the other question is what would you prefer?

Not disagreeing with you, I just haven't been bothered so far by the ANS. Or maybe I'm just used to naked men on the beach?

Orren

Any notification that takes focus away from whatever your doing and FORCES you to deal with it before you can get back to what you were doing is horrible UI design.

I want notifications, I just don't want them to take focus away from what I'm doing. No other phone OS does this.

• 4 weeks later...
Any notification that takes focus away from whatever your doing and FORCES you to deal with it before you can get back to what you were doing is horrible UI design.

I want notifications, I just don't want them to take focus away from what I'm doing. No other phone OS does this.

I agree. Just because I have a meeting invite does not mean I want to deal with it right this instant.

IF

I hadn't been too annoyed by them previously (my phone is more of a gaming/app console rather than an actual phone), but last night I got one right in the middle of a game and it did annoy me. If that happened in a game in which rhythm or tilting etc. etc. it'd be super annoying.

It'd be really nice if there was a per app setting of being able to disable push notifications. That way, you could disable them for games, but have them still appear in other apps in which they wouldn't be so annoying or intrusive.

- J

I hadn't been too annoyed by them previously (my phone is more of a gaming/app console rather than an actual phone), but last night I got one right in the middle of a game and it did annoy me. If that happened in a game in which rhythm or tilting etc. etc. it'd be super annoying.

It'd be really nice if there was a per app setting of being able to disable push notifications. That way, you could disable them for games, but have them still appear in other apps in which they wouldn't be so annoying or intrusive.

- J

Doesn't look like they've fixed this is iPhone OS 4.0 :)

Okay. Well, now I'm curious too!

What is their notification system like?

And does it cuddle? :lol:

I've never seen it either, but it does make you wonder if their phones are appropriate for minors, doesn't it? ;)

Orren

Oh my gosh that is hot. Where the heck is Apple on this?!?! It's awesome. We should totally flood Apple's inbox with that video.

As for iAds... they fine for free apps I guess, but I'll be upset if they flood into paid apps. Grr!

• 1 month later...

Archived