Storyist Forums

Anybody remember me?

Joolissa

Hi there

It's me, Jools! Anybody remember me? I sorta disappeared off the face of the (Storyist board) planet in November. In addition to the fact that Oct-March is the worst time of the year for me, I've also been dealing with a number of personal and family crisises. I'm in the middle of moving as well (which has been going on since November), so I haven't had the mental capability to keep up with Storyist or writing at all. I am starting to re-emerge and I'm hoping to get back into writing and into Storyist, but it won't be immediate.

I am glad to see that I haven't been gone long enough for the unread threads to get past 1 page per area and that Thoth is still kicking around. I'll be re-acquainting myself with Storyist and I'll hopefully get back into beta soon, though I'm now a Snow Leopard-er (sorry Thoth). I've also got an iPhone and am desperately wishing for some sort of Storyist app, but that's another post.

I just thought I'd let everyone know what'd happened to me. I'm now off to post a question, because I can't figure out if there is a way to duplicate my manuscript. :)

How's everybody doing here?

[insert witty comment here, cause the gears are a bit rusty and need oiling]

-Jo0ls

Hi Jools. Of course we remember you! It's good to hear from you. We miss you.

Sorry to hear that the last few months have been so mind numbing. And I hope the personal and family crises have been satisfactorily resolved. (No one dead, I hope.)

Things have been reasonably quiet here. We have two new star voices in the chorus. I'll leave it to you to find them. It won't be hard. Isaac has been pretty busy with his new job so he's now only an occasional contributor. (We have 333 Forum members but less than a dozen with over 100 posts.)

So you're moving again? (The fiends have finally caught up with you!) Where to? Somewhere dry, I hope. (We're getting another 2" in NYC.)

Do you think you'll get your gears properly oiled by April Fools Day, for Script Frenzy? If not, we'll be sad but we'll understand.

Hey! Rejoice! It's Spring! :)

Yeah. Still kicking around.

Riding the Tiger alone. Bareback!

- Thoth.

Julia Grace! Welcome back! We wondered what had happened to you. (The odds-on favorite explanation was that a real tiger had captured your heart, stealing you from Mac OS X "Tiger.")

But now we see it was a Snow Leopard. :)

Alas for Thothkins, I am now a Snow Leopard-er most of the time too. He is the sole holdout. See the beta area announcements (but remember, Steve's oath of silence covers all that occurs there—you don't want your new computer impounded, do you?). :)

Write well. I haven't yet figured out a solution for your duplication problem. I use a combination of aggressive backups (you can open a saved backup as a separate file) and a separate "Deleted Sections" manuscript where I stash anything I don't want to get rid of just yet. That's not what you're asking for, though.

Best,

M

Glad to hear I'm remembered!

Unfortunately there've been a few deaths, most not in the family, but still affecting me or my parents. Pile on top of that other crisises and it's been a tough few months. It is spring now, so here's hoping things improve. As for moving, it's back in with my parents for now. It's... more practical, fixes a few problems for all of us, but causes more stress in general. :D

From what I read this Script Frenzy is ... daunting.. I'm not even sure I know what a script really is. I don't think I'll be joining this year. Though, I'd like to hear more about scripts.... I know.. zip about them.

Oh, I think I found those two new voices...... Orren & TAS right?

Haha, bareback, ahahhahaha

I've still got a powerPC g5 that's tiger...... unfortunately I'm being faced with my laptop's optical drive being dead again and the cost to replace it is the value of the laptop... so both the laptop and desktop (which is no longer supported by the graphics software I need to keep up with) are going to have to be replaced...... I'm putting that off until I'm done unpacking though. Darn Mac $tag!

Anybody on here like owls? Recently I've been watching www.ustream.tv/theowlbox . Live feed of a Barn Owl Nest. Pretty darn cool. 1 owlet hatch and 4 to go.

- Jhoooli

Unfortunately there've been a few deaths, most not in the family, but still affecting me or my parents. Pile on top of that other crisises and it's been a tough few months. It is spring now, so here's hoping things improve. As for moving, it's back in with my parents for now. It's... more practical, fixes a few problems for all of us, but causes more stress in general. :D

So sorry. But time heals.

From what I read this Script Frenzy is ... daunting.. I'm not even sure I know what a script really is. I don't think I'll be joining this year. Though, I'd like to hear more about scripts.... I know.. zip about them.

Daunting? NaNo was 50,000 words. Frenzy is less than 20K. If anything it's easier. Check out Steve's screenplay template for a nice refresher on script writing. Frenzy also has a really good introduction on many kinds of scripts (Movie, TV, Plays, Comic Books, etc.) in their Writer's Resources section. You don't have to join to read it. There's some really good stuff there. Worth the read even if you don't want to try your hand at a script.

Oh, I think I found those two new voices...... Orren & TAS right?

Bingo.

Haha, bareback, ahahhahaha

Ever try to put a saddle on a tiger? Well, maybe you have. When I try they give me a funny look.

I've still got a powerPC g5 that's tiger...... unfortunately I'm being faced with my laptop's optical drive being dead again and the cost to replace it is the value of the laptop... so both the laptop and desktop (which is no longer supported by the graphics software I need to keep up with) are going to have to be replaced...... I'm putting that off until I'm done unpacking though. Darn Mac $tag!

I'm still running on a PowerPC G5 myself. When Leopard came out it seemed buggy and was incompatible with much of my regular software. When the new iMac came out I check it out in an Apple Store and found the screen glare unacceptable for text. I understand that there are some third party glare protectors for the iMac now. So maybe....

Anybody on here like owls? Recently I've been watching www.ustream.tv/theowlbox . Live feed of a Barn Owl Nest. Pretty darn cool. 1 owlet hatch and 4 to go.

- Jhoooli

Do owl eggs make good omelets, J-hoo-hoo-li?

(Oh, there's that twisted side again. What? So tree snakes can eat them but they're too good for me?)

-Thothssssssss.

I hear you on the stupid new glossy screens. I despise glossy screens and as a photographer/artist who works with colors and printing, I feel pretty screwed by Apple not offering the matte option on all their displays. Thankfully I have a 2006 cinema that's matte and while I'm currently having to replace my actual computers.. I can still get the Macbook Pro in a matte screen. Unfortunately, if I want a bigger screen I'm out of luck unless I can afford the 30" cinema. Oh well.....

I think I'll look into this script thingy more and read those things you were mentioning.

Dunno about Owl eggs and I suspect you'd have a bloodied scalp if you tried, but I hear Ostrich eggs make a good omelet for a bunch of people at once.

• 2 months later...

Of course, we remember you. The question is, are you going to stick around this time? You've been popping up at odd intervals for months, like one of those critters at the Whack-a-Mole stand at the county fair. What's wid dat? :ph34r:

Glad to see you back, however briefly,

M

• 2 weeks later...
... look, I'll even update my avatar! :lol:

Got tired of the Botticelli look? (Okay, glasses hadn't been invented in the 15th century and ol'Sandy didn't do a lot of charcoals...still.)

Nice to hear from you.

What do you think of the new iPhone?

- Thoth

Sorry, I slipped away again. BUT! I'm back this time! I try to check the boards every day, but... look, I'll even update my avatar! :D

Wow, a brand new look!

If you don't mind my asking, where do you go on these hiatuses of yours? What is the status of your work-in-progress? :D

Best,

M

Thoth, LadyM, that picture was old when I first signed up on the forum. :D Though, the super short hair is new. As for where I go... sometimes I get really busy away from the house, and sometimes I don't feel like moving away from my video games. And then there are the times when I'm actually WORKING! :D

I'm working on a graphic novel right now, and it's a different kind of difficult than novel writing. There's so much blasted PLANNING I have to do, and, as we know, I am a Pantser. So.

You can keep tabs on me with my Twitter, you know. (http://twitter.com/callista)

Okay. I wish you luck fellow pantser.

BTW: Is the dye job (on your Tweet Page) pre or post your current Storyist icon? (Trying to create a mental picture here.)

Hope you enjoy your gluten-free pancakes at The Friendly Toast.

- Thoth.

BTW: Is the dye job (on your Tweet Page) pre or post your current Storyist icon? (Trying to create a mental picture here.)

Pre-icon! Though, I'll probably redye it this weekend. It's fairly safe to assume the front of my hair is some sort of unnatural color.

Pre-icon! Though, I'll probably redye it this weekend. It's fairly safe to assume the front of my hair is some sort of unnatural color.

Nature is often highly overrated. I have a neighbor whose daughter had her hair and eyebrows (and who knows what else) dyed a shade called toxic green. It looked surprisingly good on her but her technogoth phase only lasted about a month. Now she's a suicide blond with matching (!) nails.

Never a dull moment.

- Thoth

I'm glad you're back Cali! Though, I suppose I've had more contact with you via FB than the others. I'll have to stalk you on Twitter though!

Who else is on Twitter or Facebook? I'm at www.twitter.com/juliagracearts

=)

- Jools

I'm glad you're back Cali! Though, I suppose I've had more contact with you via FB than the others. I'll have to stalk you on Twitter though!

Who else is on Twitter or Facebook? I'm at www.twitter.com/juliagracearts

=)

- Jools

Sorry, I avoid both Twitter and Facebook. Please don't take it personally!

Best,

M

I was of your opinion until recently, Thoth, but I've since learned that it doesn't necessarily have to be minute to minute updates. It all depends on who you follow. If you're going to follow a chatty 12 year old, then your stream will probably be flooded with nonsense. If however, you follow more business themed things, perhaps a favorite brand or as Calli mentioned, an agent etc. You have the potential of learning and discovering some neat things. You could get tips, discounts, connections, and I bet that out there somewhere there's a stream of writing prompts. If not I think I should start one. How useful Twitter is depends fully on who you follow. You can also create lists of those you follow, so that if you follow your cousin who chats a lot you can create a list without them on it to view when you don't want to read all of your cousin's updates.

-Jools

Archived