Storyist Forums

Performance stalls and non-functional links

Hi there -

When I'm editing in text view, and sometimes in story sheets, etc... the program will seize up for ten to twenty seconds, then return to normal. Also, links in Section Sheets and Plot Point, Setting, Character sheets, will suddenly stop working when I click on them. Occasionally I'll get an open link option - and that will work - but often I do not.

I'm running an iMac

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac9,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

Hi Opalpeye,

Welcome to the forums. Nice Mac! You're running Storyist 2.1.6 on OS X 10.6.2, correct?

When I'm editing in text view, and sometimes in story sheets, etc... the program will seize up for ten to twenty seconds, then return to normal.

The usual suspect is Time Machine or some other CPU or memory intensive application running in the background. Could that be the case here?

Also, when you say "seize up," I'm assuming you mean that you see the spinning beach ball, not that the mouse and keyboard stop accepting input. Is that correct?

Also, links in Section Sheets and Plot Point, Setting, Character sheets, will suddenly stop working when I click on them. Occasionally I'll get an open link option - and that will work - but often I do not.

Is the link text completely selected when this occurs? One quirk of the OS X text system is that if you've selected the text of a link, clicking on it doesn't activate the link. (Try this in Text Edit to see).

If not, do you see this in cases other than the first one you mentioned (the spinning beach ball)?

-Steve

Hi Opalpeye,

Welcome to the forums. Nice Mac! You're running Storyist 2.1.6 on OS X 10.6.2, correct?

:P Thanks. I love this Mac. Can't believe I suffered with Windows for as long as I did. I'm still running 10.5.8. Do I need to upgrade?

The usual suspect is Time Machine or some other CPU or memory intensive application running in the background. Could that be the case here?

Also, when you say "seize up," I'm assuming you mean that you see the spinning beach ball, not that the mouse and keyboard stop accepting input. Is that correct?

I don't see the spinning ball. The mouse and keyboard stop accepting inoput., I don't have Time Machine running right now. Just a browser (Google Chrome), MacMail, YouSendit, and Finder.

Is the link text completely selected when this occurs? One quirk of the OS X text system is that if you've selected the text of a link, clicking on it doesn't activate the link. (Try this in Text Edit to see).

Yes, sometimes the link selects completely and I can't get it to de-select. And when I do, it's sometimes still non functional.

If not, do you see this in cases other than the first one you mentioned (the spinning beach ball)?

No spinning beach ball.

-Steve

Thanks. I love this Mac. Can't believe I suffered with Windows for as long as I did. I'm still running 10.5.8. Do I need to upgrade?

No, 10.5.8 is fine. I just wanted to know what version of the OS you're running so I could try to reproduce your issue here. I couldn't remember if iMac9,1 shipped with Leopard or Snow Leopard.

I don't see the spinning ball. The mouse and keyboard stop accepting inoput., I don't have Time Machine running right now. Just a browser (Google Chrome), MacMail, YouSendit, and Finder.

If you can't move the mouse or switch applications during these times, then the issue is most likely at the OS/kernel level rather than the application level, which would point to something other than Storyist.

If you are seeing a spinning beach ball, the next thing to check would be project size. If you have a very large project (perhaps you included lots of large images), the spinning beach ball could be the result of the time it takes to autosave a large project. You could try turning off autosave or lengthening the autosave interval to see if this changes anything (PLEASE remember to turn it back on).

Yes, sometimes the link selects completely and I can't get it to de-select.

You just need to click in an editable area. You're probably in a field like POV when this happens. Just click at the end of the link.

And when I do, it's sometimes still non functional.

OK, lets dig into this. If there is anything in the console messages related to Storyist, could you copy it and send it to the support address (supportatstoryistdotcom)? If you have any tips on making the issue occur, please include them in the email.

You can get the console messages by opening the Console application (it is in the /Applications/Utilities folder, displaying the console messages if necessary, and copying the entries that include "Storyist".

-Steve

No, 10.5.8 is fine. I just wanted to know what version of the OS you're running so I could try to reproduce your issue here. I couldn't remember if iMac9,1 shipped with Leopard or Snow Leopard.

If you can't move the mouse or switch applications during these times, then the issue is most likely at the OS/kernel level rather than the application level, which would point to something other than Storyist.

I can move the mouse and switch applications. But, I'm not seeing the beach ball.

If you are seeing a spinning beach ball, the next thing to check would be project size. If you have a very large project (perhaps you included lots of large images), the spinning beach ball could be the result of the time it takes to autosave a large project. You could try turning off autosave or lengthening the autosave interval to see if this changes anything (PLEASE remember to turn it back on).

Not seeing the beach ball.

You just need to click in an editable area. You're probably in a field like POV when this happens. Just click at the end of the link.

No, I checked this. I understand what you're saying but that's not the problem.

OK, lets dig into this. If there is anything in the console messages related to Storyist, could you copy it and send it to the support address (supportatstoryistdotcom)? If you have any tips on making the issue occur, please include them in the email.

3/28/10 8:08:35 PM CleanMyMacHelperTool[149] Wont clean Storyist-2.1.6 because readonly

3/28/10 8:09:43 PM com.apple.launchd[74] (0x10f750.Locum[1021]) Exited: Terminated

3/28/10 8:12:45 PM Storyist[1027] Couldn't create new resource of type:http://storyist.com/rdf-syntax/1.0/Setting

3/28/10 8:23:37 PM com.apple.launchd[74] (0x108680.Locum[1081]) Exited: Terminated

3/28/10 8:24:12 PM CleanMyMacHelperTool[149] Wont clean Storyist-2.1.6 because readonly

3/28/10 8:24:12 PM CleanMyMacHelperTool[149] Mounted devices (

"/Volumes/Crucial"

)

3/28/10 8:25:54 PM com.apple.launchd[74] (0x101040.Google Chrome He[1096]) Policy denied Mach service lookup: com.apple.windowserver.session

3/28/10 8:25:54 PM com.apple.launchd[74] (0x101040.Google Chrome He[1096]) Policy denied Mach service lookup: com.apple.windowserver.session

3/28/10 8:26:26 PM com.apple.launchd[74] (0x101040.Google Chrome He[1102]) Policy denied Mach service lookup: com.apple.windowserver.session

3/28/10 8:26:26 PM com.apple.launchd[74] (0x101040.Google Chrome He[1102]) Policy denied Mach service lookup: com.apple.windowserver.session

3/28/10 8:29:06 PM com.apple.launchd[74] (0x109bf0.Google Chrome He[1130]) Policy denied Mach service lookup: com.apple.windowserver.session

3/28/10 8:29:06 PM com.apple.launchd[74] (0x109bf0.Google Chrome He[1130]) Policy denied Mach service lookup: com.apple.windowserver.session

3/28/10 8:29:51 PM [0x0-0x99099].com.adobe.Acrobat.Pro[1112] Record Info Table 2: 309238

3/28/10 8:30:52 PM CleanMyMacHelperTool[149] Wont clean Storyist-2.1.6 because readonly

You can get the console messages by opening the Console application (it is in the /Applications/Utilities folder, displaying the console messages if necessary, and copying the entries that include "Storyist".

-Steve

Thanks Opaleye,

Two things pop out from the console log:

1) Locum ran twice. On other forums, Mac users have reported slow-downs with this operating system component. You can find out what is taking up CPU or disk time by running Activity Monitor (it is in the /Applications/Utilities folder). When you notice Storyist slow down, take a look at the Activity Monitor window and check to see what is using the CPU. Clicking on the CPU column will cause it to sort by CPU usage.

2) A process called CleanMyMacHelperTool is attempting to access some Storyist resources. Could you temporarily disable this to see if it has an effect?

On the link issue: I'll spend some time tomorrow investigating this. Can you add any additional details on how to reproduce this?

-Steve

Thanks Opaleye,

Two things pop out from the console log:

1) Locum ran twice. On other forums, Mac users have reported slow-downs with this operating system component. You can find out what is taking up CPU or disk time by running Activity Monitor (it is in the /Applications/Utilities folder). When you notice Storyist slow down, take a look at the Activity Monitor window and check to see what is using the CPU. Clicking on the CPU column will cause it to sort by CPU usage.

2) A process called CleanMyMacHelperTool is attempting to access some Storyist resources. Could you temporarily disable this to see if it has an effect?

On the link issue: I'll spend some time tomorrow investigating this. Can you add any additional details on how to reproduce this?

-Steve

Hi Steve -

Here's the best I can do on details -

I deleted CleanMyMacHelperTool - it left a lot of debris but I think I got it all. Also got rid of the demo copy of DEVONThink and all attendant script files, etc... I've been running Storyist with the Apps Monitor and Console in the desktop and am finding nothing that seems to coincide with the dead links issue.

Here's what I've been doing to break the links:

Open the standard Novel template and insert a link in manuscript view in the first section of text - selecting to call up the first section sheet.

Click on the link to call up the section sheet and fill out the section sheet with character, setting, plot points x2 and character notes x2.

Click back and forth between story sheets - at first everything seems fine, but at some point - maybe about three to five minutes in - the links stop working. I've been looking for a pattern but can't see one.

Sometimes... if I click on the section sheet in the Project panel, the links in the page re-activate.

Sometimes... if I go back to the manuscript and click on the link I created in the text, calling up the section sheet, the links re-activate.

Sometimes... if I open a Plot Point or Setting or Character sheet in the Project panel the links re-activate.

So far, I can still get to all the story sheets by clicking in the Project panel.

That's all I have for now. Thanks for any help you can provide.

O.

Thanks for the additional info on the links issue. It will help me try to reproduce the issue here.

On the performance issue:

1) Are you still seeing the slowdown after removing these components?

2) If so, is there any indication in the Activity Monitor of which process is taking the time?

-Steve

Steve, I believe I've reproduced the dead links part of this issue, but it's kinda sporadic.

The first time I did it, I (unfortunately) didn't note every step I took, but I followed the steps she provided. I noticed that

1. I could not add a plot point to the section sheet. I clicked the lightbulb, hit "add plot point" and nothing happened. This only happened in one of my tests. I haven't been able to reproduce it.

2. The link to the plot point when I finally got it created would often not respond, just as the OP said.

3. Clicking elsewhere in the Project Pane and then clicking back to the sheet and then clicking the link would make it respond again.

I tried to reproduce it again with a fresh novel template doing things differently, filling in more info, writing everything down I did, but all the links worked and never stopped responding.

I tried a third time with another fresh novel template. This is what I did:

• New Novel Template

• Insert a link in the manuscript in the first section, before any of the default text via Edit>Insert>Add Link >select "Start Writing!" section sheet> click Insert

• Click on the link to view the section sheet

• Fill out the section sheet with character POV, setting, plot points x2, gibberish in the notes, and character development points x2 (one each for Protagonist & Antagonist) In that order.

• Click back and forth between story sheets a few times

• Click back to the "Start Writing!" Sheet

• Start testing the links they work until I click the first Character Development Point, No Response.

• I click the second CDP, no response.

• I go back and try the other links, none of them respond, though they've previously worked.

• Click off the sheet, to another sheet.

• Click back to "Start Writing!"

• Test the links again (clicking back between each link.) they work and continue working.

I tried this again, to write down more detail about how I tested the links, but I couldn't get it to reproduce (again)

So I do it again. I follow my steps, but this is how I test the links: I click on Character POV and plot points, because they have links back to the section sheet, so I can get back without navigating in the project pane. When I get to the CDPs, they don't respond and you're back to my original steps.

I also tried it using the short cut for inserting a link and I tried adding the CDP before the gibberish in the notes. This time, after clicking around the scene sheets a few times the links immediately didn't work.

I also noted that each time I created a new plot point it would be "untitled plot point [#]" and the numbers continually counted up, even though I used a fresh template each time. Is that usual?

Anything else you want me to do or try?

Oh and it was Storyist 2.1.6 and I'm on a Macbook Pro, Snow Leopard, 2 GB, and I had Google Chrome Running (it was also running a streaming movie)

I do not have the programs that the OP was mentioning on my computer.

Thanks for the additional info on the links issue. It will help me try to reproduce the issue here.

On the performance issue:

1) Are you still seeing the slowdown after removing these components?

2) If so, is there any indication in the Activity Monitor of which process is taking the time?

-Steve

Hi Steve,

Not seeing the slowdown since i got rid of the two apps. i also changed the Storyist default to deselect for save files every five minutes - just in case. Sounds like you're making some headway on the dead links issue - good that Julia Grace was able to reproduce the problem. Thanks Julia!

Ope.

You're very welcome! Reproducible bugs are better for squashing. Steve will catch it. :lol: I'm glad the slow down issue is getting worked out too.

-Jools

Archived