Storyist Forums

Moments of distraction

Steve E

One can hope that for future Frenzies and NaNos there will be a Storyist app to make playing with the iPad more... justifyable. :P

Make sure you report about your new toy in detail!

One can hope that for future Frenzies and NaNos there will be a Storyist app to make playing with the iPad more... justifyable. :P

Of course. But why the tongue?

Make sure you report about your new toy in detail!

I already reported the five points I hadn't seen in any other review, in the iPad thread.

Do you have a specific question? Perhaps Steve, M or I could answer it there.

(It truly is a fun beast. Almost as fun as garter snakes, I'd wager.)

- Thoth

Oh dear.

My iPad playtime is cutting into my Frenzy page count.

I think I can be forgiven. (It's just so cool!)

I'll make up for it tomorrow.

Right!

- Thoth.

Yes, me too. I had great plans for writing 10 pages yesterday, and instead I logged 4 (half as many as Friday, when I meant to take off and ended up not really doing so). Aiming for 14 (total of 30) today.

But I agree on the iPad: it is so cool. Sir Percy tells me I'm now a certified Apple geek, and a girl geek at that. Sink me, I think he's right! :P

I hadn't had it in the house for two hours before he tried to take it over to the neighbors', though, so he's problably just jealous. :P

M

I hadn't had it in the house for two hours before he tried to take it over to the neighbors', though, so he's problably just jealous. :P

We can't blame him, M.

My own neighbors are oo-ing and ah-ing over it like it's a new baby. (I probably shouldn't be carrying it in a baby carriage, though.) :P

- Thoth

We can't blame him, M.

My own neighbors are oo-ing and ah-ing over it like it's a new baby. (I probably shouldn't be carrying it in a baby carriage, though.) :P

- Thoth

So long as it's a padded baby carriage, I don't see why not. It's your pride and joy, right? :P

M

For now. Already the virtual keyboard is beginning to bug me.

- Thoth

Time for an ergonomic Bluetooth keyboard? Is there such a thing?

The iPad paired seamlessly with the Bluetooth keyboard that came with my new iMac (I disconnected it from the iMac first). Only issue is that you can use only one keyboard at a time. And the Bluetooth keyboard doesn't work quite as well while sitting on the sofa, which is the point of having the iPad, rather than a notebook, in the first place. It is certainly a viable alternative, though.

Btw, does this thing have cursor keys?

Best,

M

Time for an ergonomic Bluetooth keyboard?

Good question. But if I'm going to use a keyboard then I might as well use my desktop.

Is there such a thing?

Apple makes a Bluetooth keyboard but not an ergonomic one. Other's might. One day I'll look around.

Btw, does this thing have cursor keys?

You know, I hadn't noticed. Maybe they're hidden near the punctuation set or numerics.

- Thoth

Good question. But if I'm going to use a keyboard then I might as well use my desktop.

Yes, that's true. But the iPad is such a great device; it's a shame if you can't enjoy it because the typing is uncomfortable. Have you tried propping it at an angle, with the fold-around case that Apple sells or in some other way?

You know, I hadn't noticed. Maybe they're hidden near the punctuation set or numerics.

- Thoth

I haven't seen them, although I looked. I'll check again. I think you're supposed to be able to tap wherever you want, but the type has to be pretty large to give me that level of control. Simple up/down, left/right keys would be useful.

Best,

M

Yes, that's true. But the iPad is such a great device; it's a shame if you can't enjoy it because the typing is uncomfortable. Have you tried propping it at an angle, with the fold-around case that Apple sells or in some other way?

I've tried a few things but the only thing that really works is frequent breaks.

I'm getting really good at one-handed typing, though.

I haven't seen them, although I looked...

Same here.

Simple up/down, left/right keys would be useful.

Which is what makes me think that they must be hidden somewhere. But the more hidden they are the less useful they become.

- Thoth.

Here's a website about one handed typing. It has the furst fifty pages of their practice manual too. It is doable, just gotta practice. It might even make your big man paws feel better. =D

http://www.aboutonehandtyping.com/howto.html

Here's a website about one handed typing. It has the furst fifty pages of their practice manual too. It is doable, just gotta practice. It might even make your big man paws feel better. =D

http://www.aboutonehandtyping.com/howto.html

Ah. One-hand typing opens up a world of possibilities.

Thanks JG.

Q: What is the sound of one hand typing?

A: That depends on what the other hand is doing.

- Thoth

I've tried a few things but the only thing that really works is frequent breaks.

I'm getting really good at one-handed typing, though.

Same here.

Which is what makes me think that they must be hidden somewhere. But the more hidden they are the less useful they become.

- Thoth.

Found them. The trick is not cursor keys, though. If you tap a location and, without lifting your finger, start to drag, a magnifying glass appears that lets you position the cursor exactly. At least, it works that way in Pages and on these forums. Haven't tried it in any other setting.

Best,

M

Found them. The trick is not cursor keys, though. If you tap a location and, without lifting your finger, start to drag, a magnifying glass appears that lets you position the cursor exactly. At least, it works that way in Pages and on these forums. Haven't tried it in any other setting.

Best,

M

That's on the iPhone too, should work in any text I believe. Though maybe not the random occasional app.

Archived