Storyist Forums

The 4G iPhone Controversy

Steve E

Its release date has not even been announced, yet Apple's next generation 4G iPhone is already getting reviewed. How is this possible? It seems that an Apple engineer left one on a barstool and it was found by a photographer. Not surprisingly, Apple is demanding it back.

I believe that it is possible to loose a top secret prototype at a bar when you're drunk. The question in my mind is whether, given Apple's legendary secrecy, it was left on purpose.

Just a thought.

- Thoth

Its release date has not even been announced, yet Apple's next generation 4G iPhone is already getting reviewed. How is this possible? It seems that an Apple engineer left one on a barstool and it was found by a photographer. Not surprisingly, Apple is demanding it back.

I guess you haven't heard/read the latest. Apple's lawyers sent Gizmodo an official legal request for it to be returned. Gizmodo's editor called the engineer who lost it, contacted Apple, and returned it.

I believe that it is possible to loose a top secret prototype at a bar when you're drunk. The question in my mind is whether, given Apple's legendary secrecy, it was left on purpose.

I guess if that question can be answered to your satisfaction depends how into conspiracy theories you are. I am very, very convinced that this was a random act and that Apple was both tremendously upset by it and working on new rules and security measures that will still allow their software engineers to test the phone "in the field" (which they are told to do) while eliminating the possibility of this happening again.

What question I have is that the "fence" says he tried to return it to Apple, but got the runaround from customer support, and decided to sell it to Gizmodo for $5000 instead. I don't think his story passes the smell test...

Orren

PS—my iPhone contract is up in July; I was going to buy a new phone anyway, whatever it's specs. But this one looked nice.

I guess you haven't heard/read the latest. Apple's lawyers sent Gizmodo an official legal request for it to be returned. Gizmodo's editor called the engineer who lost it, contacted Apple, and returned it.

Well of course they returned it. It's the right thing to do. But it must have happened mere hours ago. Glad you keep so up on the news, Orren. (Now can you pronounce "Eyjafjallajokull"?) So, what did you think of the review? Light, though it was.

I guess if that question [was it lost on purpose] can be answered to your satisfaction depends how into conspiracy theories you are.

In my case it's about how cynical I am about Apple's brilliant marketing.

What question I have is that the "fence" says he tried to return it to Apple, but got the runaround from customer support, and decided to sell it to Gizmodo for $5000 instead. I don't think his story passes the smell test...

Except that Gizmodo did, in fact, have it. Whether or not the "fence" called Customer Support to give it back would be in their records.

PS—my iPhone contract is up in July; I was going to buy a new phone anyway, whatever it's specs. But this one looked nice.

Terrific. Let us know if you think it's worth the buy-in.

- Thoth

PS: I'm starting a groundless rumor about a copy of Storyist 4.0 being found on a bar stool in Sunnyvale. Bidding opens at $1,000,000. Anybody else in? :)

Glad you keep so up on the news, Orren. (Now can you pronounce "Eyjafjallajokull"?)

To quote Jon Stewart, "I'll just call it Kevin." :)

So, what did you think of the review? Light, though it was.

To be honest, it was irrelevant to me. I absolutely love my iPhone 3G. So truthfully, all I really need is the same thing with a few extras. The iPhone 3GS is the same, with video, faster, and slightly longer battery life. Already, that's 90% perfect. The only other thing I'd want is front-facing camera, so I could video chat with my wife. If all the iPhone 4G is an iPhone 3GS with a front facing camera, it's 100% perfect for me.

Let us know if you think it's worth the buy-in.

From my perspective as a completely satisfied iPhone customer, there is no possible way that it would not be worth the $199, regardless of its final dimensions or feature set.

Orren

Nice looking.... I hope they don't pull something from it.... I just wish you could pay an upgrade price (less than buying it new of course) and trade in your previous gens of their hardware to get the new versions. *Sigh*

Nice looking.... I hope they don't pull something from it.... I just wish you could pay an upgrade price (less than buying it new of course) and trade in your previous gens of their hardware to get the new versions. *Sigh*

Sadly, AT&T makes their money by locking you into a 2-year contract. That's why they subsidize the $599 cost of the phone. (If you didn't know, $599 is the true price of the iPhone without an AT&T contract: http://gizmodo.com/5499439/buy-iphones-wit...document-leaked

But they do give you an "upgrade discount" off of that no-contract price, if you can't wait. For example, if I would have wanted to trade in my iPhone 3G for an iPhone 3GS when I was 1-year into my 2-year contract, AT&T would have subsidized $100 of the new phone (meaning, it would have cost me $499). If I would have traded in my iPhone 3G when I was 18-months into my 2-year contract, AT&T would have subsidized $200 of the phone (for a $399 phone).

Not a very attractive upgrade discount, but better than a $599 no contract price. But I will wait until my 2 years are up, so I can get a $199 phone.

Orren

So I guess the next question is.... if you have a family plan where Line A is out of contract and Line B has an in contract iPhone, can you get the new iPhone for the new contract price for Line A, and then switch the new iPhone to Line B and put the old iPhone on Line A .. or put Line A back on their old phone?

Hopefully that isn't too incoherent a question. :)

Now, if you're waiting until the fall when your two years are up... would you get the new iPhone from the previous summer, or wait until the next summer to get the one that will probably come out then? 4Gs or what ever it may be.

- J

So I guess the next question is.... if you have a family plan where Line A is out of contract and Line B has an in contract iPhone, can you get the new iPhone for the new contract price for Line A, and then switch the new iPhone to Line B and put the old iPhone on Line A .. or put Line A back on their old phone?

Damned if I know.

- T

I know people who have done that. Providers discourage that, but you can technically switch your phone any time you want, including swapping primary and secondary phones.

IF

Meh. Could be worse.

-T

Could be.

I don't suppose that along with the leak of the new phone there's been a leak about whether it will remain with only ATT or will go to other carriers?

- J

I don't suppose that along with the leak of the new phone there's been a leak about whether it will remain with only ATT or will go to other carriers?

I doubt that Apple will drop it's exclusive AT&T deal for quite a while.

Orren

Why do you think that?

From what I can find, it's possible the exclusivity contract will end this year and I would guess that no matter when it ends, be it this year or next or 2012, that Apple will not give one carrier exclusivity again. Google's phones, which are desperately trying to compete with the iPhone along with a few others are available on multiple carriers and plenty of people are unhappy with AT&T. There are probably plenty of people who'd like an iPhone, but don't want to switch to AT&T. Wouldn't it be a smarter move for Apple to provide the iPhone to as many people as possible? Let them buy the product no matter what carrier they're on?

Maybe there's something Apple gets from AT&T that's better than the potential customers from other carriers?

- J

Why do you think that?

Ultimately, I think it comes down to money. Apple likely won't get as good a deal, or they'd have to make a new phone (cutting into profits) for Verizon, as the technology is different. When Verizon's 4G network is in place, that may change things.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2010/...-in-the-us.aspx

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/22/w...y-from-verizon/

Orren

PS: I'm starting a groundless rumor about a copy of Storyist 4.0 being found on a bar stool in Sunnyvale. Bidding opens at $1,000,000. Anybody else in? :)

I hear it will write your novel for you and post it in the iBookstore, fully published with rave reviews scattered across the Web to give you a head start on building word of mouth.

No beta testers were harmed in the construction of this rumor. :lol:

M

When ever I hear about the evils of AT&T...

Well, just to give the alternate view, I have AT&T for:

• Television
  • Internet
  • Phone
  • Cell phone (regular and iPhone)

We have great service on all counts. When we have had a problem, we've always been able to talk directly to an engineer over the phone (not just tech/customer support) and they've always sent someone out the next day, if service is required—even on a weekend (and we've only needed anyone out twice). And I get great 3G coverage here in SoCal with my iPhone, no connectivity or speed issues ever.

That's not to discount other people's complaints, just to offer an alternate perspective of a satisfied customer.

Orren

Well, just to give the alternate view, I have AT&T for:

• Television
  • Internet
  • Phone
  • Cell phone (regular and iPhone)

We have great service on all counts. When we have had a problem, we've always been able to talk directly to an engineer over the phone (not just tech/customer support) and they've always sent someone out the next day, if service is required—even on a weekend (and we've only needed anyone out twice). And I get great 3G coverage here in SoCal with my iPhone, no connectivity or speed issues ever.

That's not to discount other people's complaints, just to offer an alternate perspective of a satisfied customer.

So they haven't tried to implant a telecommunications chip in your head (yet)?

Or maybe they have.... :lol:

- T

Archived