Storyist Forums

The 4G iPhone Controversy

Steve E

Mine too hasn't been that great. My experience with Sprint has been much better. The only reason I got back onto my parents ATT family plan is because this old house has wire mesh in the walls and it's the one place my Sprint phone doesn't work and the ATT one does. Of course... I'm lucky if I hear the silly thing ring.. if it even does ring...

Of course... I'm lucky if I hear the silly thing ring.. if it even does ring...

Isn't that a preference thing? Most of my ring tones were ones I created in GarageBand (Apple's free iLife music software has an Export as Ringtone command) and they are so loud that I'm usually told to keep the volume down. Even some of the default rings can wake the dead! If you go into settings, you should be able to adjust the ring volume so that it will blow out your windows. The volume is not an AT&T thing. Not ringing at all is an AT&T thing, but if it sends the signal, the rest is up to your phone.

Orren

Well sometimes it doesn't ring at all... I'll get a voice mail later (if they leave one)... this has always been one of the problems I've had with ATT (same with my parents lines sometimes). It's one of the major reasons I left. I couldn't rely on the fact that I was getting every call or every text. They'd also randomly stop text service to my phone or cut off my line completely. Of course... a lot of that was when it was ATT > Cingular > ATT, but the phone has not rang when it's had signal at least once since I've been back on ATT, so .. I'm still skeptical. They also cut off our service if we miss a bill by accident. I've missed one on more than one occasion on Sprint and they just added it to the next bill. Never had any of the same problems with Sprint. I hold some slim hope Sprint will eventually get an iPhone.... someday. Of course I've heard people who hate sprint and love ATT. I guess every company has those who have good experiences and those who have bad.

As for when it does ring... and I don't hear it... it's because I mostly use Apps on my phone.. and most of my apps change the ringer volume and I don't remember to always put it back up. I wish that you could lock the ringer volume and have a separate phone volume all together instead of the some apps have their own volume and some use the ringer. I gotta say... the iPhone is great, but it is certainly lacking in the actual Phone features... like being able to set your own text message sound or turn off the charging sound.. without jail breaking the thing. :lol:

They also cut off our service if we miss a bill by accident.

Interesting—I wonder if that's due to Pennsylvania law? Here in California, if you miss a payment, they won't cut you off...they're more than happy to heap a late charge on your bill, and roll it over to next month! Perhaps PA doesn't let them charge late fees? I can't imagine that AT&T wouldn't want to keep your service going and charge you extra if they could get away with it.

EDIT: research addict that I am, I just looked up AT&T's service agreement; in PA, by law they can only charge $5 as a late fee. In CA, they can charge 1.5% of your total bill (which depending on how many people are on your plan, level of service, etc can easily be over $20). Perhaps it's not worth the extra accounting for $5, so they just shut you off?

As for when it does ring... and I don't hear it... it's because I mostly use Apps on my phone.. and most of my apps change the ringer volume and I don't remember to always put it back up.

What apps do that? Games? Admittedly, I mostly have productivity, finance, and social networking apps. But none of them are really that "sound heavy." I'm curious which apps do that, because that sounds like a real bummer, and I want to stay away from them! :lol:

Thanks,

Orren

Interesting—I wonder if that's due to Pennsylvania law? Here in California, if you miss a payment, they won't cut you off...they're more than happy to heap a late charge on your bill, and roll it over to next month! Perhaps PA doesn't let them charge late fees? I can't imagine that AT&T wouldn't want to keep your service going and charge you extra if they could get away with it.

EDIT: research addict that I am, I just looked up AT&T's service agreement; in PA, by law they can only charge $5 as a late fee. In CA, they can charge 1.5% of your total bill (which depending on how many people are on your plan, level of service, etc can easily be over $20). Perhaps it's not worth the extra accounting for $5, so they just shut you off?

What apps do that? Games? Admittedly, I mostly have productivity, finance, and social networking apps. But none of them are really that "sound heavy." I'm curious which apps do that, because that sounds like a real bummer, and I want to stay away from them! :)

Thanks,

Orren

Hmmmm.. and my Sprint account was opened in MA and is an MA number. Perhaps that is the reason, though Sprint never charged me a late fee that I found, just tacked the next bill on.

As for the apps that do that, yes they are probably all games, except for some apps that don't have anything in them to make sound, like productivity apps. Those use ringer volume, but you wouldn't necessarily change the volume while in that app. I gotta say that some of the games that use Ringer Volume, are really great games too and they're some of my favorites, so I use them often (and turn them down often)

One that isn't a game is Twitterrific. Twitterrific has that new tweet alert sound and it uses ringer volume, so I would turn the volume down that alert is going off cause it's really loud at full volume. I don't want to turn the alert off (yet), but I definitely would turn it down.

Safari also uses the ringer volume, but I'm not sure it matters because I don't think Safari can play sound. I think everything that has sound, jumps you to the video player, which doesn't use ringer volume.

Personally I think it should be a feature of the phone to have a ringer volume and a phone volume so that no apps can access the ringer volume. I'm sure that'd cause some problem or another though. I just wish the ringer could stay turned up all the way and I could play my games in lower volume peace without missing my calls because I forget to turn it back up. Maybe if I got more than 1 or two calls a week I'd remember. :)

- J

One that isn't a game is Twitterrific. Twitterrific has that new tweet alert sound and it uses ringer volume, so I would turn the volume down that alert is going off cause it's really loud at full volume. I don't want to turn the alert off (yet), but I definitely would turn it down.

Thanks for the rundown!

Just wanted to mention, I used Twitterific for a while, and it was good, but ultimately I preferred Tweetie 2. I'm not actually sure it does notifications though—I follow some 60 people or organizations, I'd be notified every three minutes! :)

Take care,

Orren

Twitterrific only does the notification sound within the app, when it loads new tweets.. It's a nice sounding bird call... I use it because it's free. I have yet to purchase an app. I have a few I'm planning to purchase, but a Twitter client isn't one. I'm waiting for Tweetie to become the official Twitter app and be made free. Then I'll probably get it. :) .. well maybe.. I like the look of other Twitter clients better.

And back to the original subject. Looks like the blogger and perhaps even Gawker Media could be in some hot water:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/27/technology/27iphone.html

There's a bit of controversy over if shield laws apply or not. Personally, I think that the journalist is being viewed as a potential felony suspect himself, and therefore shield laws don't apply.

Orren

Twitterrific only does the notification sound within the app, when it loads new tweets.. It's a nice sounding bird call... I use it because it's free. I have yet to purchase an app. I have a few I'm planning to purchase, but a Twitter client isn't one. I'm waiting for Tweetie to become the official Twitter app and be made free. Then I'll probably get it. :D .. well maybe.. I like the look of other Twitter clients better.

I own the mac and ipod version of this, full version. I love it!

And back to the original subject. Looks like the blogger and perhaps even Gawker Media could be in some hot water:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/27/technology/27iphone.html

There's a bit of controversy over if shield laws apply or not. Personally, I think that the journalist is being viewed as a potential felony suspect himself, and therefore shield laws don't apply.

Indeed. I'm wondering, assuming this is really a publicity stunt, if Apple will step in and confess before this goes to trial.

Time will tell (but Apple may not)

- Thoth.

Seriously—what exactly does "assuming this is a publicity stunt" mean?

If you assume that this is a publicity stunt, does that mean you would be assuming:

• An Apple employee left this on a barstool on purpose (as you wrote in your first post)
  • Apple reported the item stolen to the San Mateo Police Department (which was just confirmed this morning) even though they knew that they planted the item
  • Apple is assisting/allowing/responsible for the San Mateo police department to investigate this issue as a stolen property case based on their report

Since I don't assume this is a publicity stunt, I don't even know what all one would be assuming, and the legal jeopardy that would put Apple's involved employees in. That's not to say it's not possible (you're in on it with Steve Jobs, aren't you?!? :D ) but that the case has gotten so complicated and "serious" at this point I don't understand all the steps and deceptions that would be involved/required if this were to be a publicity stunt.

Orren

Seriously—what exactly does "assuming this is a publicity stunt" mean?

I would think that would be obvious, unless you're looking for an argument of course.

If you assume that this is a publicity stunt, does that mean you would be assuming:

• An Apple employee left this on a barstool on purpose (as you wrote in your first post)
  • Apple reported the item stolen to the San Mateo Police Department (which was just confirmed this morning) even though they knew that they planted the item
  • Apple is assisting/allowing/responsible for the San Mateo police department to investigate this issue as a stolen property case based on their report

Yes, yes and yes. Remember, I did say "if".

Since I don't assume this is a publicity stunt, I don't even know what all one would be assuming, and the legal jeopardy that would put Apple's involved employees in.

(Awkward sentence, but) I simply raised it as a possibility. Your lack of imagination and cunning disproves nothing.

That's not to say it's not possible...

You really should have led with this sentence but to each his own.

... but that the case has gotten so complicated and "serious" at this point I don't understand all the steps and deceptions that would be involved/required if this were to be a publicity stunt.

See previous comment concerning imagination and cunning. The Apple people are way smarter than you. They know how to indemnify themselves.

The important thing to remember about this is that if it is a publicity stunt we might never know. We're not supposed to. They would all have to have known from the start that this would be black ops and "if caught or captured the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your action."

This message will self-destruct in ten gigaseconds (maybe sooner).

- Thoth

I'm hopeful that there must be at least one janitor working at Apple who isn't smarter than I am. Maybe.

Maybe. But in Apple Land they're called custodians and all have advanced engineering degrees.

I hear the snack-cart guy is a Nobel Laureate.

:D

- Thoth

Archived