Storyist Forums

Lines

When I scroll clicking the arrows at the side of the page I end up getting lines like is shown in the screen shot. Is this normal? They go away when I click the text again, but I thought this was a little strange...

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the screenshot.

If you're using 10.6.2 or 10.6.3, you are probably running into an Apple bug when the scale factor is something other than 100%. A work-around is already in testing, and if you'd like to try it, send me a PM and I'll send you a link.

-Steve

Actually my mac runs 10.5.8. No idea if that makes any difference or not.

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the screenshot.

If you're using 10.6.2 or 10.6.3, you are probably running into an Apple bug when the scale factor is something other than 100%. A work-around is already in testing, and if you'd like to try it, send me a PM and I'll send you a link.

-Steve

Actually my mac runs 10.5.8. No idea if that makes any difference or not.

Hmmm. May be a separate issue then. I just sent you a PM with a link to the beta. Would you mind checking to see if it still happens with the beta?

-Steve

I downloaded and tried out the beta just now. Looks like it's still happening, but only in one of my documents which isn't even the longest one, and it only happens in the normal view.

Also, if I switch it to page layout and back again it doesn't happen until I reopen the document.

By the way, is it supposed to take forever for it to go from normal to page view but the reverse happens almost instantly?

And this is all in the beta. I'm testing now to see if this is what's happening in the non-beta.

Hmmm. May be a separate issue then. I just sent you a PM with a link to the beta. Would you mind checking to see if it still happens with the beta?

-Steve

Okay so after looking at both 2.2 and the beta it seems that when I open a document that has been saved under normal view I get the lines (turns out the other documents I thought were fine were just saved under page view.). Doesn't matter if it was imported or not. Seems about the same in both 2.2 and the beta. Guess that means this is an unrelated issue?

Okay so after looking at both 2.2 and the beta it seems that when I open a document that has been saved under normal view I get the lines (turns out the other documents I thought were fine were just saved under page view.). Doesn't matter if it was imported or not. Seems about the same in both 2.2 and the beta. Guess that means this is an unrelated issue?

Thanks Adrian.

Yes, probably unrelated. I'll see if I can reproduce your results here. So the problem occurs

* at 200% zoom

* with a 260000 word manuscript

* set in Courier

* on 10.5.8

Any additional thoughts?

On the Normal -> Page mode transition: Storyist has to recalculate all the page info, so it will take longer for larger manuscripts.

-Steve

Actually, it happens in several different fonts, and the word count doesn't seem to matter. It's happening in a 943 word document I created a couple weeks ago. The thing that seems to affect it is whether or not it's saved under normal view. If it is, it does that, if not, it won't, even if I change it to normal view. Also discovered that if I change the window size it temporarily goes away as well.

Thanks Adrian.

Yes, probably unrelated. I'll see if I can reproduce your results here. So the problem occurs

* at 200% zoom

* with a 260000 word manuscript

* set in Courier

* on 10.5.8

Any additional thoughts?

On the Normal -> Page mode transition: Storyist has to recalculate all the page info, so it will take longer for larger manuscripts.

-Steve

• 3 weeks later...

I discovered something interesting just now in regards to the lines. They seem to be related to the text, cause in this screen capture I noticed a few of the lines have bits of red in them from the red underlining. No idea if this helps at all, but I figured it couldn't hurt to share.

redlinescreencapture.tiff

Actually, it happens in several different fonts, and the word count doesn't seem to matter. It's happening in a 943 word document I created a couple weeks ago. The thing that seems to affect it is whether or not it's saved under normal view. If it is, it does that, if not, it won't, even if I change it to normal view. Also discovered that if I change the window size it temporarily goes away as well.

I discovered something interesting just now in regards to the lines. They seem to be related to the text, cause in this screen capture I noticed a few of the lines have bits of red in them from the red underlining. No idea if this helps at all, but I figured it couldn't hurt to share.

redlinescreencapture.tiff

Thanks Adrian.

I think that the lines are the result of the text system copying either too many or too few pixels when scrolling, so misspelled word underlining would likely get "caught". I still haven't been able to reproduce your results here, but I showed your screenshot to one of the Apple text engineers at WWDC, and he suggested a couple of things to try. I'll keep you posted.

-Steve

Cool. And you're welcome, but really, I'm just glad to be of service, strange as that may sound. If you need anything else from me, let me know. Cause really, as far as issues go, this one's pretty minor. But, well, I have a friend who's in testing and I know that the weirdest of bugs can have the strangest of causes. So I know that not only is it not that easy to find the origin of bugs like this, but that solving them might have unintended consequences elsewhere as well because the solution isn't always where it seems. That's the main reason why I really bothered to bring it up in the first place.

Good luck. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Archived