Storyist Forums

Apps

Joolissa

Since there's such a long thread talking about the iPad and others about the iPhone and there's interest in recommending apps, I figured I start a thread for it.

So, what Apps do you have? What are your favorite apps? What do you recommend?

Any apps you're interested in? Want to know more about?

Any apps you hate and would recommend people stay away from?

- Jools

My two favorites are the WSJ downloader and the Wolfram|Alpha app. (I do a surprisingly large amount of math, and the Wolfram|Alpha app is great, but it still can't tell me how many free sides a level-3 Menger sponge has.)

- Thoth

One to stay away from is the free Betty Crocker cookbook. Well, unless you just want to look at pictures of food. I had no trouble navigating it, and the pictures are gorgeous, but double-click and nothing happens (maybe you have to pay to get an actual recipe? :)).

Instead, stick with Condé Nast's free Epicurious, even more gorgeous—and it works! :)

My only paid apps, other than Pages—a remarkable achievement for $10 but oddly limited and frustrating as well—are Brent Royal's Converter (highly recommended), Good Reader (great for .doc files but a bit challenged by PDFs, which won't matter once Apple releases the new iBooks), and Mobile Document Viewer. The first two were 99¢ and well worth it. The last one cost $6.99 and has been a mixed bag at best. I did eventually fumble my way into making sense of the file transfer method (the WiFi half—iPhone HD permanently escapes me, but perhaps I need 3G for that), and now the program seems to work as advertised. But the online documentation is horrible, and GoodReader not only does the same thing for much less but uses iTunes to transfer files, to boot. I would never have paid for Mobile Document Viewer if I had found GoodReader first. Memeo Connect is a free alternative that works with GoogleApps.

The free apps are more fun: I have Wallpapers, iMDb, Calculator XL, WeatherBug, Netflix, Dictionary, HistoryMaps, and the various e-readers, of which Kindle for iPad offers the best selection and iBooks the best experience. B&N eReader seems like a Kindle wannabe; I keep it around to promote competition, but I have yet to see a book that costs less at B&N than it does elsewhere.

Apps I've tried and discarded include the New York Times reader (better access through Safari), NPR reader (OK but seems to work when it feels like it), Amazon Mobile (I was looking for the daily news posts that you can access through the Kindle but didn't find them), and Zinio, which offers a changing selection of magazine articles, most of which don't interest me.

That's about all I've had time to test out in two months!

Best,

M

For me it has to be the CAMRA Good Beer Guide and TheTrainline.com. Find a pub selling real ale, then get the next train to it! I guess these are not available in the USA.

The London Underground is another good one - and when I am next in New York I will no doubt be getting the Subway.

Archived