Storyist Forums

Storyist won't open file, crashes

ejp1020

I recently purchased this software and have liked it so far - I also am in that wild and crazy NaNoWriMo project and began my novel last night in Storyist and there was, an update screen that popped up and I decided 'yes' to update the software. After that I continued writing then saved my work and closed the program. The problem is, now after this update, I came to write tonight and I absolutely can NOT open any file (storyist file) at all! The program immediately CRASHES and I get a crash report.

This is absolutely TERRIBLE TIMING!

I used Storyist before the update just fine, having saved that, what I called a Tutorial manuscript file so I could look at it again as needed. And had done so many times. But now, I cannot open any files -- and the software doesn't look right or act right.

If you want the crash report I saved a copy of it on my desktop --

I'll have to use my another writing software now - even though I purchased Storyist specificially for this novelling project. I am really disappointed -- but I mostly just want to GET THIS FIXED.

Details: MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz (Intel mac) - Running on Tiger 10.4.10 -

The Crash report is quite long (don't know if this is usual or not as I don't remember the last time with a mac that I've had a software problem as significant as this)

PLEASE reply as soon as possible!

I hope this is the best place to post this --

Thanks, Betsy

For the benefit of others who run across this in 1.3.2 or earlier:

The problem turns out to be unrelated to the update. There is a specific combination of steps that can cause incorrect information to be saved in the story file which can cause Storyist to crash or display a blank screen when opened.

These steps cause the problem:

1. Create a new story from the Novel template.
  2. Select all manuscript text and delete.
  3. Start typing the chapter title where the cursor is now located.
  4. Press Return.
  5. Type some more section text.
  6. Save.

When you close the application and reopen the story, Storyist will either crash or present a blank screen. The step in bold is what causes the problem.

The following, however, works fine:

1. Create a new story from the Novel template.
  2. Select all and delete.
  3. Choose Story > Add Chapter from the main menu. The focus will now be in the Project pane.
  4. Type a title and press Return.
  5. Place the cursor at the end of the chapter title, press Return.
  6. Type some more section text.
  7. Save.

You can close the application and open the story without problems.

If you run into this bug, don't panic. None of the story data is lost. Send me a PM and I'll fix your story file for you (or tell you how to fix it yourself if you are uncomfortable sending your story).

A fix will be available tomorrow.

-Steve

Archived