Storyist Forums

Milestones.

Steve E

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1,500 posts! 86 members and counting ...

Zounds, but we are a gabby bunch. You know, M, between you, me and Steve, we account for over a thousand posts. Where do we find the time?

Keep it coming,

-Thoth.

Zounds, but we are a gabby bunch. You know, M, between you, me and Steve, we account for over a thousand posts. Where do we find the time?

Keep it coming,

-Thoth.

Oops! Not so much a gabby bunch as a gabby few, then. **blushes** :rolleyes:

Adding to the hot air,

M

Oops! Not so much a gabby bunch as a gabby few, then. **blushes** :rolleyes:

Adding to the hot air,

We few, we gabby few, we band of Storyists;

For s/he to-day that adds his comments to mine

Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,

This Forum shall gentle his condition:

And gentlemen using MS Word, now a-bed

Shall think themselves accursed they did not comment here,

And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks

That added their posts to the Storyist Forum.

Gleefully paraphrased from Henry V, Eve of Saint Crispin's Day speech.

-Thoth

We few, we gabby few, we band of Storyists;

For s/he to-day that adds his comments to mine

Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,

This Forum shall gentle his condition:

And gentlemen using MS Word, now a-bed

Shall think themselves accursed they did not comment here,

And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks

That added their posts to the Storyist Forum.

Gleefully paraphrased from Henry V, Eve of Saint Crispin's Day speech.

-Thoth

Oh, very nice. Congratulations, "William"! :rolleyes:

M

Congratulations, Thoth, on your 500th post!

You're an example to us all. :D

M

You're too kind. But a good example or a bad example? Plutarch wrote about the helots (serfs of ancient Sparta) who were forced to drink wine by the Spartan women until they were drunk, and then led/whipped into public so the Spartan children would see them and learn not to be drunk in public. Thus the helots served productively as a bad example. (They were also made to dance and sing silly songs for the children who threw stones at them.) So bad examples can be good too. Incidentally, the helots revolted against the Spartans in the 5th cantury BC, slaughtering, in particular, many of the Spartan children.

And now for something completely different: Anybody else notice that the Milestones thread has reached four (count 'em) four pages?

Admiring the quick observational wit of Lady M,

-Thoth.

You're too kind. But a good example or a bad example? Plutarch wrote about the helots (serfs of ancient Sparta) who were forced to drink wine by the Spartan women until they were drunk, and then led/whipped into public so the Spartan children would see them and learn not to be drunk in public. Thus the helots served productively as a bad example. (They were also made to dance and sing silly songs for the children who threw stones at them.) So bad examples can be good too. Incidentally, the helots revolted against the Spartans in the 5th cantury BC, slaughtering, in particular, many of the Spartan children.

And now for something completely different: Anybody else notice that the Milestones thread has reached four (count 'em) four pages?

Admiring the quick observational wit of Lady M,

-Thoth.

An interesting observation, four pages. I reminds me of the great destroyer, Geegalbrax Foor, who said, "Ix tur brantbrant al hoo vas dada hasa gogo ena foo gana wasa." Roughly translated, "As I stand on the crushed skulls of my conquest, I recall my father's most frequent advice: any example is better than no example." Of course, it sounds better in the original Crasnxixix.

IF

An interesting observation, four pages. I reminds me of the great destroyer, Geegalbrax Foor, who said, "Ix tur brantbrant al hoo vas dada hasa gogo ena foo gana wasa." Roughly translated, "As I stand on the crushed skulls of my conquest, I recall my father's most frequent advice: any example is better than no example." Of course, it sounds better in the original Crasnxixix.

Too true. Too true.

But let us not forget the beeps and clicks of Fupsnot, Captain of the Fluffy Lumpkin, who said 11011010111010001010010101111 but 010110101000101101010-apple-10101011010101010101 to boot! Them bunnybots will never be the same, I can tell you that.

Can go on like this indefinitely,

-Thoth.

Too true. Too true.

But let us not forget the beeps and clicks of Fupsnot, Captain of the Fluffy Lumpkin, who said 11011010111010001010010101111 but 010110101000101101010-apple-10101011010101010101 to boot! Them bunnybots will never be the same, I can tell you that.

Can go on like this indefinitely,

-Thoth.

I have only a passing familiarity with rumors of the resonances of Fupsnot, but if it's anything like Knipsnat, tertiary counsel to the manager of Tsootsoo's bar on Vltsa IV, you will recognize the vibrations of his sometimes concubine, Rx, "^^v^vvvv^vv^vvv^^vv^^v^^^vvvv^.v^^^^^^vv^vv^vvvvvvvvv."

I want my hour back,

IF

I have only a passing familiarity with rumors of the resonances of Fupsnot, but if it's anything like Knipsnat, tertiary counsel to the manager of Tsootsoo's bar on Vltsa IV, you will recognize the vibrations of his sometimes concubine, Rx, "^^v^vvvv^vv^vvv^^vv^^v^^^vvvv^.v^^^^^^vv^vv^vvvvvvvvv."

I want my hour back,

IF

Ah, the subtle harmonics of the tertiary counsel's erstwhile concubine warm the cockles of my...heart. But Baulderbuns, Gamin of the Outer Grossness, and acclaimed collector of discarded aluminum soft drink cans, put it quite succinctly: ~...~....~.~~~-^.^-, which roughly translates as YOU WILL NEVER GET YOUR HOUR BACK! NO REFUNDS! EVER!

Quick response Isaac,

-Thoth.

Ah, the subtle harmonics of the tertiary counsel warm the cockles of my...heart. His sometimes concubine ain't bad either. But Baulderbuns, Gamin of the Outer Grossness, and acclaimed collector of discarded aluminum soft drink cans, put it quite succinctly: ~...~....~.~~~-^.^-, which roughly translates as YOU WILL NEVER GET YOUR HOUR BACK! NO REFUNDS! EVER!

Quick response Isaac,

-Thoth.

It is a belief among the people of Holzobagrastafafhagoogy that if one could simply find all the missing socks, none would also find the missing hour. Only the Holzobagrastafafhagoogian children really know for sure.

IF

I want my hour back,

IF

Alas, I have misattributed. It was, in fact, Fx, the often concubine of Knipsnat, tertiary counsel to the manager of Tsootsoo's bar on Vltsa IV who pulsated, "^^v^vvvv^vv^vvv^^vv^^v^^^vvvv^.v^^^^^^vv^vv^vvvvvvvvv." I hope Fx will forgive my confusing her with her bitter rival Rx, and not eat our planet.

I looked under my pillow and found a sock,

IF

It is a belief among the people of Holzobagrastafafhagoogy that if one could simply find all the missing socks, none would also find the missing hour. Only the Holzobagrastafafhagoogian children really know for sure.

Contrarily the Eh of SwingBatterBatterBatterSwingBatterBatterSwing argue quite elegantly that all the missing hours, and, bafflingly, all the missing socks containing one or more holes (and isomorphs thereof), throughout all of time and space, are accumulated in the bladders of their elderly. The video documentation of their Cosmic Urination Day Celebration* seems to bear them out.

*Citation: The Neverending Source Book of Dubious Celebrations & Festivals; Volume Persimmon-Hedgehog 19.

May the all-encompassing loins of Rx preserve us and our socks,

-Thoth.

Contrarily the Eh of SwingBatterBatterBatterSwingBatterBatterSwing argue quite elegantly that all the missing hours, and, bafflingly, all the missing socks containing one or more holes (and isomorphs thereof), throughout all of time and space, are accumulated in the bladders of their elderly. The video documentation of their Cosmic Urination Day Celebration* seems to bear them out.

*Citation: The Neverending Source Book of Dubious Celebrations & Festivals; Volume Persimmon-Hedgehog 19.

May the all-encompassing loins of Rx preserve us and our socks,

-Thoth.

But according to the human cultural leader, Weirdal, "Everything you know is wrong." I am forced to reconsider my position. Perhaps the hour and socks are not lost, but, in fact, *we* are the ones who are lost.

IF

Perhaps the answer can be found on Frank's 2000-inch TV (...and I'm mighty proud to say, now I can watch the Simpson's from 30 blocks away-yay...) Polka everybody!

Shouldn't you be at work?

Lost and sockless,

-Thoth.

Archived