Storyist Forums

Why the disconnect?

codemer

I've seen a lot of people over the last few days talking about how they unplug from the Internet when they write. Is this really necessary? I find IM one of the most interesting forms of inspiration for story details, and then when I get that e-mailed position statement for my 401(k), the creative doors just burst open! And let's not forget that Thoth is always good for a paragraph or two.

So, why do you really disconnect?

IF

I'm ridiculously connected when I'm writing. I'll have IM with friends open, music on, a movie playing at times. Several sites open, some for research (it's great being able to find out just where places in Northern Iraq are geographically at your whim). I can, and do write away from a computer, but I like having lots of different information at my fingertips, so the computer wins out every time.

PJ

I'm ridiculously connected when I'm writing. I'll have IM with friends open, music on, a movie playing at times. Several sites open, some for research (it's great being able to find out just where places in Northern Iraq are geographically at your whim). I can, and do write away from a computer, but I like having lots of different information at my fingertips, so the computer wins out every time.

PJ

Who disconnects? I never even log out of Storyist (have to keep up on the latest posts, or my word count might exceed my procrastination quotient, and that would never do). :)

Sometimes on evenings and weekends, I'll turn off Mail, but I keep Safari on all the time for, ahem, research (hey, Googling pictures of film stars is research, too!).

Cheers,

Marguerite

I must have a ridiculously short attention span then. I go to research something complications in a birth and an hour later I'm reading about horses. *shrug* I just find it easier to focus if I can turn the music up and just let go.

The Disconnecter,

Calli

Archived