Storyist Forums

New Webcomic—written in Storyist!

orrenm

As we already know, Storyist is great for writing novels and screeplays, but it's also good for writing comics! :( After attending comic-con and getting a bunch of sample Marvel and DC comics scripts, the wife (who is an artist) and I decided we wanted to try our hands at webcomics. Still in development is a science fiction, dystopian future, aliens and superheroes graphic novel style adventure. But we decided to start far less ambitiously, with a more whimsical fun-loving webcomic, that still tries to say something as well as entertain.

And so I present to you: Karma Kat and Dogma! :(

Enjoy!

Orren

So, in future episodes, is Karma Kat going to be a victim of karmic justice? Is Dogma going to act more dogmatic? And what principles would a dog insist are incontrovertibly true?

Happy to be a "Values Voter" if only I knew specifically what any given politician's values actually were.

- Thoth

So, in future episodes, is Karma Kat going to be a victim of karmic justice? Is Dogma going to act more dogmatic? And what principles would a dog insist are incontrovertibly true?

I think that one could say Karma Kat gets his..."comeuppance" so to speak. :( I think the principals that a dog would hold as incontrovertibly true are:

1. My pack loves me unconditionally, and I love them unconditionally.
  2. Any opportunity to eat is a good one.
  3. Any opportunity to be shown affection is a good one.
  4. There is nothing wrong with shameless opportunism and manipulation within my pack because I love them and they love me.
  5. (for protective dogs) If any beings threaten any members of my pack, I will rip them to shreads with no thought of my own safety.

Happy to be a "Values Voter" if only I knew specifically what any given politician's values actually were.

For what it's worth, many of the tea party candidates are very open about their anti-government agenda. But I think for most politicians, their main "value" is that they should be elected....

Orren

May we see a page of the script? I've been wanting to do a online graphic novel for a long time.

Hi Calista,

I suggest you buy some graphic novels from DC Comics and Marvel; often the more complete ones include sketches, notes, scripts, etc. in the back. I believe that the hardcover version of Watchmen I have includes some scripts. And there are many different styles. Some are almost entirely prose, with maybe a line of dialog thrown in, and cover everything—the colors and shape of the background, the foreground actors, etc. Others are more outlines, still others are more like screenplays divided into panels. Ultimately, it is most important for the writer and the artist to work out a scripting format that works between the two of them.

FWIW I found that for Michelle and myself, the best format was the one I read in the Marvel graphic novel The Ultimates: Ultimate Collection Vol 2. It included the full script of the entire first issue (the graphic novel collected a year story arc of single issues) and I copied the format completely—spacing, fonts, everything.

Attached is the script for the comic that is posted. As you can see, Michelle used her own initiative with some of the angles, but I think it worked nicely. Enjoy! :(

Orren

post-625-1289952467_thumb.jpg

Archived