Storyist Forums

Improving Storyist Links

marguerite

I have my plot points, based on the Hero's Journey template, organized into groups: Act I, Act II, Act III. Even though I'm writing a novel, not a screenplay, I find this helps me get the right balance of opener/development/resolution.

Similarly, I have my characters, who spend part of their time in an alternate world, grouped into their real-life selves and their alternate selves. My settings are divided in the same way.

But when I'm working with, say, a section sheet and I describe the setting as "Café" or "Seashore," Storyist doesn't link to the existing, predefined setting tucked inside its parent folder. Instead, it creates a new, blank setting with the same name. So either I have to move all the information into the new sheet or lose the link. And if I then move the redefined setting into the proper group, the same thing happens the next time I need to link to that sheet.

The obvious work-around is to keep everything out of groups until I'm sure I won't need it, but that undercuts the value of the grouping feature. Is there something I need to tell Storyist so it can find the sheet within the folder? And if not, could something be set up (say, typing, "Act II/Seashore," instead of just "Seashore")?

Thanks!

Marguerite

If I may add my 2¢ because, well, it's what I do. I propose the display of links to be organized by folder (with folders organized alphabetically and then links organized alphabetically within each folder). Although a headache to display given the possible hierarchical organizations of folders within folders, this increases our linking options and might be a step towards solving the overall linking problem*.

-Thoth.

*The linking problem, as stated elsewhere, proposes that everything should be linkable to everything else (including points within text). (Sorry Steve, but give the camel an inch...and the fun just never ends.)

But when I'm working with, say, a section sheet and I describe the setting as "Café" or "Seashore," Storyist doesn't link to the existing, predefined setting tucked inside its parent folder. Instead, it creates a new, blank setting with the same name. So either I have to move all the information into the new sheet or lose the link. And if I then move the redefined setting into the proper group, the same thing happens the next time I need to link to that sheet.

If you have an existing setting and type the name in the "Setting" field of the section sheet, it should link to the existing setting, regardless of whether it is in a group or not. Is this not what you're seeing?

-Steve

If I may add my 2¢ because, well, it's what I do. I propose the display of links to be organized by folder (with folders organized alphabetically and then links organized alphabetically within each folder). Although a headache to display given the possible hierarchical organizations of folders within folders, this increases our linking options and might be a step towards solving the overall linking problem*.

Interesting idea. Let me think about this. The general problem you are trying to address (I think) is how to quickly find a "linkable". Making use of the already-defined hierarchy is one way, although maybe you should just drag from the Project pane (if Storyist let you :lol: ) to create the link.

-Steve

If you have an existing setting and type the name in the "Setting" field of the section sheet, it should link to the existing setting, regardless of whether it is in a group or not. Is this not what you're seeing?

-Steve

It's definitely not what I'm seeing. I wondered why it wouldn't, since why have the folders if you can't use them, but it's definitely creating a new Setting (in this case) Sheet rather than linking to the existing one inside the folder.

When I created links before, I wasn't using folders, and Storyist always linked to the existing sheet. So I thought perhaps the folder/group idea wasn't completely worked out yet. Perhaps this should be in Troubleshooting, then, instead of Feature Requests.

Marguerite

The general problem you are trying to address (I think) is how to quickly find a "linkable".

Yep. That and being able to link to anywhere (e.g. story text) form anywhere (e.g., a Note sentence).

Making use of the already-defined hierarchy is one way, although maybe you should just drag from the Project pane (if Storyist let you :lol: ) to create the link.

That would work well for sheets and Sections but not for specific points within a long Section.

I get the impression, Steve, that you're not crazy about the idea of links imbeded in text. True? Or is it just too far in the future to think about?

Q: Who was the 16th President of the United States?

A: Abraham Linkin'. (Ouch! Who slapped me?)

-Thoth.

I get the impression, Steve, that you're not crazy about the idea of links imbeded in text.

Just the opposite. I think being able to link to anything in your story is important and it was one of the original design goals. The remaining pieces are "merely" an implementation issue. To link to sections of the manuscript, you need to be able to identify the point you are linking to (i.e. a bookmark). So, when you get bookmarks, you'll get the ability to link to them. :lol:

-Steve

I think being able to link to anything in your story is important and it was one of the original design goals.

Huzzah!

The remaining pieces are "merely" an implementation issue.

As always, the Devil (and the Evil Blue Button Gremlin) is in the details.

So, when you get bookmarks, you'll get the ability to link to them. :(

And...er, um...when might that be? (No pressure. :lol: )

Marking time, if not books,

-Thoth.

Archived