Storyist Forums

Merry Christmas, Storyists

marguerite

That's quite the family tree there Thoth. Say hi to Bastet, Sekhmet, Horus, and Anubis for me at the family gathering.

Will do. Half-cousin Amaunet (a snake-headed goddess) wants to know the names of your slithery friends so she can send them some gift-wrapped mice. But I'm not sure UPS will deliver live mice. Wish them a happy whatever from us anyway.

- Thoth

I was trying to remember the snake headed goddess! Tell her hi too. I believe UPS will ship frozen mice, which is the only kind I feed (I do thaw them first). My slithery friends would greatly appreciate mice of any size and small rats. ;)

Their names are

Evadne

Rama

Nyari

Ayame (and his unnamed buddy like guppies)

& 4 who I've had a trouble naming (2 boys, 2 girls) ... I do like the name Amaunet (Aw-mun-et? Aw-mahn-et?) though, so one of the girls might get that one.

The geckos (Isobel & Adia the leo gex, and an unnamed male house gecko) want me to say they like crickets and waxworms and the cats (Jadeiah, Judah aka Boy, and the kinda unnamed stray who adopted us "Barn Girl") say they like kitty treats, but will appeal to Bastet and Sekhmet.

If anyone has name suggestions that don't end in a the sounds ah, A, or E (as all of my favorite names apparently do!) I'd love to hear them. :(

Thanks.

If anyone has name suggestions that don't end in a the sounds ah, A, or E (as all of my favorite names apparently do!) I'd love to hear them. :(

You're welcome to borrow from the Nun family tree. And I noticed you like the Greeks (Evadne was the daughter of Poseidon) and Hindi (Rama is the 7th avatar of Vishnu). Ayame is a Japanese name meaning "iris". Nyari I don't recognize. (Is it N'vi or Hungarian?) In any case, I think you have a lot to choose from.

Happy hunting.

-Thoth

Wow, some of that I didn't know. I picked Evadne so I could call her Eve for short and Ayame is a character from Fruit Basket, an anime about a family who turns into the animals from the Zodiac... Ayame is the snake. Nyari is my own creation as far as I'm aware. Rama I knew, though it's been one of my favorite names ever since watching The Secret Garden. :(

- J

Why thank you. I must correct myself though, I meant A Little Princess, but typed The Secret Garden instead... oops.

I think one of the girls got the name Amunet. I'll see if it sticks. Ayame is her son actually, at least I'm fairly certain he's a son.. :(

Why thank you. I must correct myself though, I meant A Little Princess, but typed The Secret Garden instead... oops.

I've always wondered what mysterious forces interact in my brain when I want to type Fluffy Bunny Tales and it out Hell Hounds From Tartarus.

I think one of the girls got the name Amunet. I'll see if it sticks. ...

Sticks? Do they know their names? If so, my understanding of their intelligence has taken a surprising hit. (Did you hear the one about the Japanese scientists who engineered singing mice? Click here if you dare.)

-Thoth

Hahahhaa! That mouse sounded a lot like a guinea pig and infact..... I think those scientists should have enlisted this guinea pig:

This is a more typical sounding one:

(many of the related videos are also adorable and chirpy)

The reptiles don't know their names, but sometimes a name just doesn't fit and doesn't stick.... I've had my hognose snake for.. a year and a half now and he's still unnamed, where as I instantly named my ball python Rama and it stuck despite the fact ball pythons are not from India. :( I've tried changing it, but I haven't found an african name that sticks.. so Rama it is. The leopard geckos do recognize it when I say "Gecko Gecko".. unfortunately the cats do too. Haha.

I have this issues with writing Characters too.... sometimes a name comes easily and sometimes I spend hours searching for a name. I'm currently being faced with having to change the names of the main character and her sister and another character in my novel because the names are not really period/race correct. *sigh* Renaming a main character is hard.

- Jools

Adorable chirpiness aside, if these scientists achieve their ultimate goal—a Broadway show mouse—and it escapes into the wild, we may find ourselves awakened at 4AM to the sound of chorus mice singing Ragtime Gal at the the tops of their little lungs. (Oh, the horror! If only they could teach them to dance.)

I have this issues with writing Characters too.... sometimes a name comes easily and sometimes I spend hours searching for a name. I'm currently being faced with having to change the names of the main character and her sister and another character in my novel because the names are not really period/race correct. *sigh* Renaming a main character is hard.

- Jools

I understand. I fully expect to rename several of my characters several times. But the main characters are the trickiness. I find this and this help.

-Thoth

Ah... thanks! I must have missed them somehow. The Medieval names will be very useful too. Though I don't think Romanian is the same as Romani, but the Romani seem to like using names from the places they traveled through, so there's quite the mix from the lists I can find on other websites.

Ah... thanks!

You're...ah...welcome.

...Though I don't think Romanian is the same as Romani, ...

The same? No. While all the Romani originated in the Indian subcontinent, it's fare to say (as you point out) that they've traveled through most of the European continent, picking up names and cultures as they went. The Romani who "settled" in England in the 1800s, were largely ethnically Romanian but thought to be from Egypt, hence the name "Gypsy". But the second largest population of Romani in Europe are in Romania and have (mostly) Romanian names. (The largest population is in Spain.)

...but the Romani seem to like using names from the places they traveled through, so there's quite the mix from the lists I can find on other websites.

Very true. Consider that they include names as diverse as Serbian born folk singer Džej Ramadanovski, Portuguese born footballer (soccer player) Ricardo Quaresma, and English born comic actor Charles Spencer Chaplin.

So if you're looking for a Romani name for your character, yes, you have a lot to choose from.

And as the Japanese say, "Happy Seasonal Gift Giving Month".

-Thoth

The Romani who "settled" in England in the 1800s, were largely ethnically Romanian but thought to be from Egypt, hence the name "Gypsy".

I had no idea that is how the word Gypsy became attached to the Romani people—thanks for that!

Speaking of the Romani, when I taught English at community college, I used to wait until I heard someone say that they "Got gypped" and go into my explanation of the origins of the word, how even though nearly all Americans have no idea that it's playing on an ethnic stereotype, it is, and that I'd prefer they'd use "ripped off" instead.

So in the spirit of Christmas, may all racial stereotypes be banished forever. :)

Feliz Navidad,

Orren

...Speaking of the Romani, when I taught English at community college, I used to wait until I heard someone say that they "Got gypped" and go into my explanation of the origins of the word, how even though nearly all Americans have no idea that it's playing on an ethnic stereotype, it is, and that I'd prefer they'd use "ripped off" instead.

...So in the spirit of Christmas, may all racial stereotypes be banished forever. :)

Hear! Hear!

Orren, you are a teacher after my own heart. Thank you for that.

אַ גוטע ניטל (Pronounced, "a gute nitl".)

- Thoth

I did know that about Gypsy and Gypped. I didn't however know about the Romanian part... I am terrible with geography and was thinking Romania was somewhere it wasn't. There is quite a world of difference between the Gypsies of real life and Gypsies of fantasy worlds. Very loosely based indeed. Having recently seen the Golden Compass movie... I really like the term Gyptians.

...Having recently seen the Golden Compass movie... I really like the term Gyptians.

I've always enjoyed that parallel universe stuff myself (especially the steampunk genre). Did you ever get to read the book(s)? "The Golden Compass" is known outside of the US as "Northern Lights". It's the first novel of Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy. (The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass.)

Okay, Happy Holidogs.

(Just keeping faithful to the thread. Boy, is M going to be surprised when she comes back.)

- Thoth

They are on my list to read. I'm currently deciding between them or another Austen book.

I hope everybody had a great Christmas, Hannukkah, etc. etc.

- Jools

Definitely read Pullman. Those books are great—tons better than the movie (which only covered the first one, anyway, and that halfheartedly, because PP's anti-religious outlook didn't sit well with merchandise-minded Hollywood).

And Austen will still be there when you're ready for her. :)

Hope this isn't a duplicate. It's my second attempt making this post, but the forums seem very slow today.

Back home and finally starting to catch up, as you see.

Happy, happy, everyone.

M

Archived