Storyist Forums

Kindle Singles live

thealtruismsociety

Very cool. Thanks.

But note that some of those "singles" aren't singles. For example, The Works of Mark Twain, 24 books in a single file delivered by Amazon Whispernet, for 89¢. Yes, you read that right. Here are some more.

This could prove to be very interesting for short-form writers.

-Thoth

Unfortunately, it's not that much of an opportunity for the independent author. Whereas you can upload and publish your own short story as a "vanilla" Kindle ebook, you need to email an Amazon email addy and ask to be considered for the Kindle Singles program. So far, no author in the Kindle Digital Publishing forum has reported being accepted...

Orren

Unfortunately, it's not that much of an opportunity for the independent author. Whereas you can upload and publish your own short story as a "vanilla" Kindle ebook, you need to email an Amazon email addy and ask to be considered for the Kindle Singles program. So far, no author in the Kindle Digital Publishing forum has reported being accepted...

So far. But thanks for checking.

The Kindle Singles program is still pretty new.

Let's wait and see how it goes.

-Thoth

So far. But thanks for checking.

The Kindle Singles program is still pretty new.

Let's wait and see how it goes.

-Thoth

FWIW, I really like the idea of singles, and I hope it succeeds. I do think eventually Amazon will open it up. I just hope it's sooner rather than later.

I'm guessing that the three reasons it's not open to everyone immediately are:

1) They wanted the release to be "front loaded" with major names and big players to give it a bigger grand opening.

2) There is a royalty advantage: Right now, Amazon only pays 30% to authors of 99¢ Kindle books, but you get 70% of singles, even at the 99¢ point. So perhaps there is an incentive to only allow "important" singles to be officially classified as singles, so they can pay out less.

3) I'm sure that at this moment, Amazon is inundated with all of our emails for consideration. :)

Orren

Archived