Storyist Forums

iPad 2

Steve E

I'm a little surprised that no one had put this up. Here the official announcement of the iPad 2 has been out for hours and the forum has lagged behind.

Rather than describe everything I'll just direct you to http://www.apple.com/ipad/.

Oh, the iPad 2 and it's accessories arrive at an Apple Store near you on March 11 ($499 and up, check the Specs page).

Enjoy.

- Thoth

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine (iPad 1—no plans to buy 2 at present) is increasingly becoming a laptop replacement. I couldn't do serious work on it (so sad! ;) ), but I can do all the fun stuff. I read my own novels on it and make corrections; I can work with MS Office files via Documents to Go; and there is a Storyist beta in the works. And with an add-on Bluetooth keyboard, I can handle half-serious work if I really have to.

I also read other books—mostly Kindle and ePub/iBooks/Google ebooks. The iPad has become my reading device of choice, somewhat to my surprise, and I buy paper books only if I expect to use them for reference. It's also unexpectedly good for watching movies, including streaming Netflix movies, as well as the obvious (surfing the Web, reading mail, checking on social networks, etc.).

But there are so many apps now that you can also edit photos and movies, create your own artwork, make music, and lots more. Presumably the new one lets you bypass your phone service under certain circumstances, too. Not quite sure how that works, but you can get Skype on it, for example. And there are lots of good free apps and free books, so it doesn't have to cost a fortune in content. (Not that Apple isn't making a pretty penny off me. :)) It's saved me a small fortune in paper and toner costs, too....

Only you can say whether any or all that is worth the start-up costs, of course. But I love mine.

Best,

M

Since my oldest cat has only now, after two years, reluctantly agreed to share the house with the last kitten, I think I will not have to consider that question for a while. But based on past experience, I would say all kittens are useful as (1) entertainment (they come with their own apps); (2) assisters of thought processes (I have one who specializes in purring through crossword puzzles); (3) radiators, especially on chilly evenings; and (4) wallet emptiers.

Haven't tried the kitten Skype app, but all mine are Siamese, even the rescue cat. I think they can be heard across continents, no wires required. The kitten rejector has a particularly piercing yowl. He sounds like a mad scientist. :lol:

M

Good to know. As they said in the 60s, "Happiness is a warm kitty". Watch out for the "mad scientist" kitty, though. They're tricksy and oft time plot against their "owners". Which may be true of the iPad 2, for all we know. (Just getting back on topic.)

Glad to hear that there is peace in the House of Lady M.

-Thoth.

You're right about Mad Scientist: his scheme for world domination requires him to ambush me on the stairs. And baby gates are not much use with cats....

I should have mentioned that one thing you can do with a kitten is take pictures and videos of it with your iPad 2 (staying on topic)! :lol:

Best,

M

You're right about Mad Scientist: his scheme for world domination requires him to ambush me on the stairs. And baby gates are not much use with cats....

I believe that the Ambush Game is one way cats play with each other. The fact that "Mad Scientist" is including you in the game suggests that he considers you one of the cats B) ...or potential prey :unsure: .

I should have mentioned that one thing you can do with a kitten is take pictures and videos of it with your iPad 2 (staying on topic)! :lol:

Best,

M

I saw this cat app for the iPad where this "mouse" runs around the screen and stops briefly when touched, swiped at or pounced upon. I'm betting there we'll soon see a lot more cat-toy apps — because what the world needs now are more high-tech, $500 cat toys.

Better! :)

- Thoth

I saw this cat app for the iPad where this "mouse" runs around the screen and stops briefly when touched, swiped at or pounced upon. I'm betting there we'll soon see a lot more cat-toy apps — because what the world needs now are more high-tech, $500 cat toys.

- Thoth

Yes, I saw that, too. And wondered why I would want to let my cats' claws anywhere near the glossy screen of my beloved iPad. Oh sure, I can see why Apple might want me to think it's a good idea (although, to be fair, it's not their app).

Besides, I hear that some cats can become quite insistent about mouse-chasing on the iPad. Can cats on Facebook be far behind? Although I suppose Mad Scientist might benefit from having new outlets for world domination, even electronic ones. What is a $500 investment if it keeps me from pitching headfirst down the stairs?

At the moment, I could save $150 and buy him a refurbished iPad 1. I really don't think he needs the latest technology. :lol:

M

...Can cats on Facebook be far behind?

I think they're already there. What I'm waiting for is cats on Second Life. (They have nine already but you can never have too many lives.)

Although I suppose Mad Scientist might benefit from having new outlets for world domination, even electronic ones. What is a $500 investment if it keeps me from pitching headfirst down the stairs? ... At the moment, I could save $150 and buy him a refurbished iPad 1. I really don't think he needs the latest technology. :lol:

Good thinking! But wouldn't Mad Scientist know he's being short sheeted and become whiney and resentful over a refurbished iPad? (That's what my Apple Manuel says.)

By the way, I heard rumors about some Android app recalls for malware. I can't seem to find the article. Fortunately Apple vets it's apps pretty thoroughly (although developers complain).

-T

Does that mean that Mother Superior jumped the kitty? :)

Sure. (It's nice to know you got the reference.)

...if I didn't already have an iPad 1, I'd get an iPad 2

**GASP** Steve Jobs would wash your mouth out with soap! (Heard a joke the other day about the iPad 2: "Jobs is the kind of guy who would introduce you to a hot chick...the day after you got married". ZING)

But seriously folks, I'm so far behind in my hardware/software updating that when I actually do start I'm sure that I'm going to go nuts. (iPad 3 running Lion OS X for everybody!) And you can bet the kitty that pretty soon all future iPad apps will run only on the iPad 2 because they'll take advantage of the new hardware.

-T

**GASP** Steve Jobs would wash your mouth out with soap! (Heard a joke the other day about the iPad 2: "Jobs is the kind of guy who would introduce you to a hot chick...the day after you got married". ZING)

Well, they say a wedding ring is a chick magnet, so maybe Jobs would still be doing loser moraled men a solid. ;)

EDIT: I actually meant to write "looser-moraled" but I think the wording there is fairly accurate too! ;)

But seriously folks, I'm so far behind in my hardware/software updating that when I actually do start I'm sure that I'm going to go nuts.

Have fun! :)

The way I look at it, I'm on two-year upgrade plans with both my iPhone and iPad. I had the 3G, sat out the 3GS, and bought an iPhone 4. I bought an iPad, I'll sit out the iPad 2, and I'll get an iPad 3 (which will certainly have an updated screen, which is what I really want, a retina display on my iPad!)

I'll probably get a new desktop machine soon, I'm just waiting until the highest end 27" iMac has Thunderbolt.

And you can bet the kitty that pretty soon all future iPad apps will run only on the iPad 2 because they'll take advantage of the new hardware.

I would agree that's a safe bet. Although I was quite surprised to learn that GarageBand for iPad (shown in the demo, and featured on the micro-site) will run just fine on the iPad 1.

Orren

Good thinking! But wouldn't Mad Scientist know he's being short sheeted and become whiney and resentful over a refurbished iPad? (That's what my Apple Manuel says.)

Hmm. Maybe that's why he's ambushing me. He wants not just an iPad but the latest version. ;)

By the way, I heard rumors about some Android app recalls for malware. I can't seem to find the article. Fortunately Apple vets it's apps pretty thoroughly (although developers complain).

-T

Here is one article from ZDNet about the Android app malware problem. There were several. Yes, Apple's tight controls do serve a purpose! :)

Best,

M

Here is one article from ZDNet about the Android app malware problem. There were several. Yes, Apple's tight controls do serve a purpose! :)

Thanks M.

The rumor mill had the number of affected apps at anywhere between one and thousands. Nice to know that it was only (!) about fifty. I'm still concerned about Google's remote deletion powers (as stated in their Terms Of Service) but they do provide a (false) sense of security. They allowed Google to state that they were able to clean up the problem in mere minutes, but the Google bureaucracy made it impossible for the developer who discovered the problem to connect with the proper Googlite in less than a week of trying. That, I think, is the real story.

Nice to know this wouldn't happen on an iPad. ;)

Thanks again.

- Thoth.

Thanks M.

The rumor mill had the number of affected apps at anywhere between one and thousands. Nice to know that it was only (!) about fifty. I'm still concerned about Google's remote deletion powers (as stated in their Terms Of Service) but they do provide a (false) sense of security. They allowed Google to state that they were able to clean up the problem in mere minutes, but the Google bureaucracy made it impossible for the developer who discovered the problem to connect with the proper Googlite in less than a week of trying. That, I think, is the real story.

Nice to know this wouldn't happen on an iPad. ;)

Thanks again.

- Thoth.

Android problems seem to be ongoing, to judge from this CNET report, posted today at 4 PM.

M

"Since the Android Web market was launched earlier this year, it was possible to remotely install arbitrary applications with arbitrary permissions onto a victim's phone simply by tricking them into clicking a malicious link."

— Jon Oberheide, co-founder and chief technology officer at Duo Security.

I've always been suspicious of malicious lynx (unless they're golden, of course).

- T

Archived