Storyist Forums

Pages, Keynote, etc. Goes Universal!

Joolissa

Sweet! I just checked my app updates and Pages and Keynote are both universal apps now! I assume numbers will be too, but I don't have it. I'm excited, though I don't use either app much. Also, Pages added a way to organize your documents into folders, which is great.

Comments anyone?

Jools

Sweet! I just checked my app updates and Pages and Keynote are both universal apps now! I assume numbers will be too, but I don't have it. I'm excited, though I don't use either app much. Also, Pages added a way to organize your documents into folders, which is great.

Comments anyone?

Jools

This is wonderful. Apple is definitely moving things in the right direction. (Took long enough.)

-Thoth

Though, their shuffle algorithm still sucks and they've known about that since the beginning!

If you're talking about the iPod shuffle algorithm, hell yeah.

Why don't they let us choose our own parameters?

I'm talking about iTunes, iPad, iPhone, any shuffle that is created by Apple. It makes me soooo angry, yet how else do I shuffle things? If they would just add a shuffle by artist (one song by one artist would play, then a song by another artist, etc. without repeating an artist within oh.... at least 5 or 6 songs if not before all other artists are played once as well) Ugh....

I'm talking about iTunes, iPad, iPhone, any shuffle that is created by Apple. It makes me soooo angry, yet how else do I shuffle things? If they would just add a shuffle by artist (one song by one artist would play, then a song by another artist, etc. without repeating an artist within oh.... at least 5 or 6 songs if not before all other artists are played once as well) Ugh....

Yes. Shuffle by artist, composers, albums, genres, ratings, etcetera. I want to be able to shuffle by any category iTunes uses. I'd also like to be able to lay down restrictions, like no songs with less than three stars or no metal. I'd also like to be able to restrict artists (I'm not always in the mood for Weird Al Yankovic). I'm sure you know what I mean. But I guess Apple Marketing figures that their Genius selection makes that unnecessary. Frankly, I've found their Genius selections less than genius.

Grrr.

- Thoth

Can't you create a Smart Playlist with the characteristics you want and shuffle that? I'm pretty sure you can select by artist, rating, genre, and various other categories. If nothing else, you could set up the smart playlist and use iTunes DJ, which shuffles automatically.

I don't know that you can tell it not to play the same artist twice in a row (I haven't tried it), but you should be able to get some of what you want.

According to the last issue of Macworld there are useful, hidden, contextual menus in iTunes, so if you don't see the options you're looking for right away, try Control/right-clicking a few titles and see what pops up.

Best,

M

Can't you create a Smart Playlist with the characteristics you want and shuffle that? I'm pretty sure you can select by artist, rating, genre, and various other categories. If nothing else, you could set up the smart playlist and use iTunes DJ, which shuffles automatically.

I can get some of what I want, true. But true to my human nature, I want it all, I want it easy, and I want it on my iPod. :angry:

I don't know that you can tell it not to play the same artist twice in a row (I haven't tried it), but you should be able to get some of what you want.

Does anyone out there know how to do this? :huh:

According to the last issue of Macworld there are useful, hidden, contextual menus in iTunes, so if you don't see the options you're looking for right away, try Control/right-clicking a few titles and see what pops up.

Thanks for the tip. :wub: I'll try that.

Keep on trucking. (Whatever that means. I just heard it on the TV in the background.)

-T

One of the sci-fi authors I follow, who began as a technology writer and is a Mac/iOS head, panned Pages for iPhone like nobody's business. Total flat failure, in his opinion. http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2011/06/small-but-perfectly-formed-ann.html

I never bought iOS Pages, so I can't try it myself. But I certainly sympathize with his complaints.

Orren

One of the sci-fi authors I follow, who began as a technology writer and is a Mac/iOS head, panned Pages for iPhone like nobody's business. Total flat failure, in his opinion. http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2011/06/small-but-perfectly-formed-ann.html

Thanks for the link, Orren.

(A "small but perfectly formed annoyance"?

Sounds like my grandkids teething.)

-Thoth

• 2 weeks later...

The lack of landscape is annoying, but I think they'll probably add it eventually. The iPad version didn't start off with landscape either. As to the other things, they don't bug me so much, but what does bug me is that you can't type while zoomed out all the way. I would mainly write poetry in it and I like to be able to see the shape/length of my lines while typing, so not being able to is annoying.

As for rewrapping, that would be nice, but only if it was an option that could be turned on and off, once again because of poetry. Having poetry lines re-wrap when zoomed in could be really annoying, but it would be incredibly useful for large blocks of text.

- Jools

Archived