Storyist Forums

A Manuscript Only option for Change.

Steve E

Sometimes when you use the Change command you get a message that the command would delete a sheet. Then it gives you the option of proceeding with the change or not. I would like the option of being able to execute the change in the manuscript text only.

Sometimes when you use the Change command you get a message that the command would delete a sheet. Then it gives you the option of proceeding with the change or not. I would like the option of being able to execute the change in the manuscript text only.

Are you thinking of something like check boxes for which parts of the story file you want updated? That sounds useful.

IF

Okay. That's two votes. So far so good.

Three votes. That would be useful. One of the things I like most about InDesign is that you can specify in a find/change box whether you want the change applied to the entire document, the one story you're working on, etc. Being able to tell change to hit all notes at once but not the manuscript and the sheets, or the notes and the manuscript but not the sheets, would be very helpful.

Marguerite

Three votes. That would be useful. One of the things I like most about InDesign is that you can specify in a find/change box whether you want the change applied to the entire document, the one story you're working on, etc. Being able to tell change to hit all notes at once but not the manuscript and the sheets, or the notes and the manuscript but not the sheets, would be very helpful.

Marguerite

Excellent. Thanks you, Marguerite.

Steve, are you listening?

-Thoth.

BTW: For those of you readers not familiar with the product, InDesign is a desktop publishing (DTP) software application produced by Adobe Systems. its Find/change function is a good example of something that I'd like to see in Storyist.

Are you thinking of something like check boxes for which parts of the story file you want updated? That sounds useful.

IF

I think Thoth is referring to the dialog that appears when you are about to perform an action that would delete the section notes as well as the selected text.

At the moment, the section notes are tied to the manuscript section and I think Thoth is suggesting he'd like to see a way to disassociate the two. This adds another level of interface complexity, and I'll have to think about how to represent unassociated section sheets.

-Steve

I think Thoth is referring to the dialog that appears when you are about to perform an action that would delete the section notes as well as the selected text.

Initially yes. But that could be solved, as has been suggested, by permitting the option of choosing to which portions of the Storyist file we want the change applied

At the moment, the section notes are tied to the manuscript section and I think Thoth is suggesting he'd like to see a way to disassociate the two.

Again yes. But that happens behind the scene (so to speak). I just don't want my sheets deleted when I make a global change. Being able to choose where the change is applied seems like a good answer from the user's perspective.

This adds another level of interface complexity, and I'll have to think about how to represent unassociated section sheets.

I don't know Storyist's internals so I'm going to sit on my fingers and type with my nose so I can't comment.

djioer det hnwo ret3r49fg,

-t45h.

Again yes. But that happens behind the scene (so to speak). I just don't want my sheets deleted when I make a global change. Being able to choose where the change is applied seems like a good answer from the user's perspective.

I don't know Storyist's internals so I'm going to sit on my fingers and type with my nose so I can't comment.

Not just internals. If I make a change to allow section sheets to be unlinked from manuscript sections, there would need to be

• A place to store unassociated sheets.
  • A way to identify which sheets are in use (may be the same as above, maybe not).
  • A way to reassociate section sheets with manuscript sections.

-Steve

Not just internals. If I make a change to allow section sheets to be unlinked from manuscript sections, there would need to be
  • A place to store unassociated sheets.
  • A way to identify which sheets are in use (may be the same as above, maybe not).
  • A way to reassociate section sheets with manuscript sections.

-Steve

Trivial!

All you have to do is frk4f ugiff erf 4tg e34 the 45f floggon....

Then go have a beer while the duck in the raincoat eats the watermelon.

Simplicity itself.

Fingers regaining feeling,

-Thoth.

Archived