Storyist Forums

Writing Area Setup

astillac

Oh hello there. Did you miss me? :P

I'm wondering, for those of you that have a choice in how you get to the keyboard, how your writing area is set up. Have you tried a standing desk? One of these crazy chairs? I'm still young, but hunching over the keyboard for 8-10 hours a day is going to start doing some serious damage if I don't wise up. I have my Cintiq (thing I use to draw) on a dresser; trying to incorporate some standing hours.... What do you guys do?

When my back started talking back to me after sitting for hours at my computer, I invested in the Herman Miller Aeron chair mentioned in that article. Expensive as he'll, but it's a "must have" in the pro audio world and it's been worth every penny. My other trick is to make sure that every hour I get up for at least 10 minutes and stretch, walk around, etc. While I do all my work sitting, if I'm talking on the phone or some other activity, I make sure I'm standing if at all possible.

I've had friends who've done the standing work desk thing. All liked it for a time (months to a year), then changed back. More than anything else, they began to feel it was a distraction after a while, as their legs would get tired. I think probably switching between the two (such as you're doing, drawing while standing then computing while sitting) might be the best combination. :)

Orren

PS--Michelle has the 12" cintiq for our comics and she absolutely loves it!

Hi, Calli:

Of course, we missed you! Where have you been? :)

I'm probably the wrong person to emulate, as I don't think I do most of the ergonomically proper things. I have a computer desk so that my monitor is higher than the keyboard, a good chair, and an old Webster's unabridged dictionary for a footrest. And like Orren I try to move around part of every hour. But I still have to watch out for carpal tunnel issues due to too much use of the mouse: InDesign is a beast in that regard.

I bought a magic trackpad when I upgraded to Lion. That helps a bit, as I can split the cursor movements between my left and right hands.

Best,

M

Hi, Calli:

I solved the "hunched over" problem by simply doing everything at 200% zoom. As for carpal tunnel issues, I've found that my split keyboard and big trackball handle them nicely (most of the time). The sitting and mobility issues are kind of interesting. In the 1950's director Otto Preminger solved the sitting problem with a sling chair, also called a hammock chair, now often called a director's chair. The office and clerical mobility problem was also solved in the 1950's by putting wheels on chairs. I suspect both of these solutions originated much earlier but I've never seen an earlier reference. What do I do? My wheelchair combines both these solutions. Remember, some people spend their entire waking day in wheelchairs so they must be both comfortable and mobile, Just remember to remove the leg rests, or not if you're prone to swollen ankles.

Other than that, stretch and move around regularly. And don't for get your eyes. The Chinese have this whole office eye exercise regime (but I can't find a link for it). Squeezing my eyes shut and rolling them around works for me. It keeps my eye muscles limber.

And snacks! Frequent snacks.

-Thoth.

BTW: Nice to hear from you, Calli.

Archived