Storyist Forums

all text gone

Keybored

storyist closed. don't know why. whole manuscript gone. yes, the file is there, but empty.

retrieval suggestions?

UPDATE.

This is for those of you who use the Restore function of iOS to get back a file from iTunes's backupnfile.

This is apparently a full restore of e erything, including the apps list as of that backup date, but I found Apple's. Heavier quite inconsistent in ways that can cost you. The good part is that a long slow Restore from Backup will indeed put your lost file back. But everything from any program is lost because, this does make sense, it wasn't in the backup file. so before you do this, make sure there's nothing in another program—sent/received mail, e.g., drafts. In other WPs—that you want to email to another machine.

Now here's the tricky part. I saw my lovely lost file, I quickly made a PDF of it for double backup, and then left the iPad plugged into the desktop while I went off to my lPtop to finish an email to Steve. While I was gone, iTunes decided tomsync machines and remove all apps that weren't there as of ancertain date it may as well have pulled out of a hat. Includingmthemrecently purchased Storyist. Which removed its files. Gone again, onlynthismtime really gone, because iOS keeps only ONE backup file.

Why would iOS, which normally queries you carefully about removing apps, so rudely take the initiative? You tell me. apple won't.

Grand Moralnof the experience? Any time you finish a hot chapter, email itnelsewhere even if it's 3 in the morning and you go to work at 6.

Hi Keybored,

storyist closed. don't know why. whole manuscript gone. yes, the file is there, but empty.

retrieval suggestions?

UPDATE.

This is for those of you who use the Restore function of iOS to get back a file from iTunes's backupnfile.

This is apparently a full restore of e erything, including the apps list as of that backup date, but I found Apple's. Heavier quite inconsistent in ways that can cost you. The good part is that a long slow Restore from Backup will indeed put your lost file back. But everything from any program is lost because, this does make sense, it wasn't in the backup file. so before you do this, make sure there's nothing in another program—sent/received mail, e.g., drafts. In other WPs—that you want to email to another machine.

Now here's the tricky part. I saw my lovely lost file, I quickly made a PDF of it for double backup, and then left the iPad plugged into the desktop while I went off to my lPtop to finish an email to Steve. While I was gone, iTunes decided tomsync machines and remove all apps that weren't there as of ancertain date it may as well have pulled out of a hat. Includingmthemrecently purchased Storyist. Which removed its files. Gone again, onlynthismtime really gone, because iOS keeps only ONE backup file.

Why would iOS, which normally queries you carefully about removing apps, so rudely take the initiative? You tell me. apple won't.

Grand Moralnof the experience? Any time you finish a hot chapter, email itnelsewhere even if it's 3 in the morning and you go to work at 6.

Yes, Apple's "Restore from Backup" is a sledgehammer, and restores the state of EVERYTHING from the last backup. If you've added apps or documents in apps, they will be deleted.

You can use a tool like Backup Extractor to access the backups for individual apps.

To extract just the Storyist for iPad backup:

1. Run Backup Extractor on your Mac.
  2. Click the Read Backups button. You'll see a list of containing any devices you've backed up.
  3. Select your iPad in the list. A list of applications starting with "com" appears.
  4. Select "com.storyist.storyist.ipad" and click Extract.
  5. Save the backup in a folder on your hard drive.

Storyist projects are in the Library/Application Support/Projects folder. You'll see both a .story file (e.g. Novel.story) as well as a .storyproj folder (e.g. Novel.storyproj. The storyproj folder may have newer edits than the .story file. If so, you can create a .story file from the folder as follows:

1. Open a Terminal window.
  2. Type "cd" and a space.
  3. Drag the .storyproj folder from the finder window to the terminal window. This copies the folder path to the end of the "cd" command.
  4. Press Return.
  5. Type "zip -r ../.story" where is the name you want to give the .story file.
  6. Press Return.

Note: Dropbox keeps old versions of your files, so a MUCH easier method to retrieve old versions (if you sync to Dropbox) is to visit the Dropbox folder on your Mac, right click, then choose Dropbox > View Previous Versions. This will take you to the Dropbox website where you can see all the previous versions of your project. You can restore your iPad and Mac versions to any previous version. Just be sure to sync your iPad before you click the Restore button on the web page.

-Steve

-Steve

Archived