Storyist Forums

iPad Storyist & Index Card View

EVPellegrini

I just purchased the iPad version of Storyist. In the iPad apps screenshot the index cards and the main text are displayed side by side. For the life of me, I can't see how to set this configuration. I bought Storyist because this feature appealed to me, and it would save me time so I do not have to switch from my manuscript view to the index card view (chapters, characters, etc.). Can anybody walk me through thisbprocess so I can view exactly whatni see in the apps store advertisement?

Hi EVPellegrini,

Thanks for purchasing Storyist for iPad.

I just purchased the iPad version of Storyist. In the iPad apps screenshot the index cards and the main text are displayed side by side. For the life of me, I can't see how to set this configuration. I bought Storyist because this feature appealed to me, and it would save me time so I do not have to switch from my manuscript view to the index card view (chapters, characters, etc.). Can anybody walk me through thisbprocess so I can view exactly whatni see in the apps store advertisement?

To set up this view:

1) Open a text file in a Storyist project.

2) Rotate your iPad to landscape.

3) Tap the Outline button.

4) Tap the Pin button to pin the view open.

5) Tap the card view button in the footer of the outline

-Steve

• 1 month later...

Steve,

is there anyway to set a document to always open in this outline/notecard view? For example, I have a "scene list" document, but it always opens as a text field which I then have to go through the steps you list to view it in outline (left hand side) and note cards (right hand) side. Would be nice to have a way to tell it this is the default way I want to see this document

Hi dham122,

Steve,

is there anyway to set a document to always open in this outline/notecard view? For example, I have a "scene list" document, but it always opens as a text field which I then have to go through the steps you list to view it in outline (left hand side) and note cards (right hand) side. Would be nice to have a way to tell it this is the default way I want to see this document

Not currently. I know the extra taps become cumbersome if you have to perform them every time you open the document and hope to address that in 1.2 by having Storyist restore your last view configuration.

-Steve

Hi dham122,

Ok another related question on index card view...I have text doc in the notebook folder. On my iPad I use that as a notecard/outline but, when I pull up my project on the Mac, this file does not want to show as storyboard. Am I don't something wrong?

By default, notebook entries on Storyist for Mac don't display their outline/card data. This is easy to change, though:

1) Select the notebook entry in the Project view.

2) Choose Project > Edit "" Preferences.

3) Check the "Show outline in Project and Outline views" and "Show outline in Navigation bar" checkboxes.

-Steve

• 1 year later...

I'm also having trouble setting up cards next to the text. After I've done all the steps above up to the last, I don't see the footer in the outline as shown in the ad and therefore cannot tap the Card view button in it. Instead, I see only the pin on the right, the plus sign on the left, and the Export button in the middle... I cannot figure out how to get the Outline, Cards, and Comments buttons in the outline footer. I know it should be easy... Any help will be appreciated.

Alex

Hi Alex,

You're almost there. Tap the disclosure button (the ">" icon) next the file whose index cards you want to view. That will reveal the document's inspector with the Outline/Cards/Comments controls.

-Steve

Hi Alex,

You're almost there. Tap the disclosure button (the ">" icon) next the file whose index cards you want to view. That will reveal the document's inspector with the Outline/Cards/Comments controls.

-Steve

I knew it was easy :) Thank you very much, Steve!

Alex

• 1 month later...

Hi Alex,

-Steve

Thanks Steve and iStory!!!

I was frustrated trying to figure that one out, too....it's really very easy once you know the right sequence to follow. May I suggest this be highlighted in the online manual under Index Cards a little more featured?

Steve - This is a fantastic app, BTW! I was using an app called Manuscript, hich was nice; but I am so much more I pressed, and better yet...productive with Storyist. Awesome tool to have in your arsenal!

Archived