Storyist Forums

Random blank spaces disappearance on RTF export

CorStellae

Hello,

I'm using the latest Storyist version for iPad, and I've noticed a strange bug (or looks like it). When I export RTF documents from the iPad, when I open them on other software (text processors, Windows and Mac), many spaces disappear, randomly. As a result, I have a lot of "new words", so to speak, because of the disappearance of the white space between them.

That happened both in Storyist for iPad, and, strangely, in Storyist for Mac, on a project previously edited on the iPad.

This, of course, forces me to read everything. It's not a lot of words, and there seems to exist no pattern on the disappearance of the spaces, but it's indeed odd.

CorStellae

Hi CorStellae,

Hello,

I'm using the latest Storyist version for iPad, and I've noticed a strange bug (or looks like it). When I export RTF documents from the iPad, when I open them on other software (text processors, Windows and Mac), many spaces disappear, randomly. As a result, I have a lot of "new words", so to speak, because of the disappearance of the white space between them.

That happened both in Storyist for iPad, and, strangely, in Storyist for Mac, on a project previously edited on the iPad.

This, of course, forces me to read everything. It's not a lot of words, and there seems to exist no pattern on the disappearance of the spaces, but it's indeed odd.

CorStellae

This is a bug in versions of Storyist for iPad prior to 1.1 and Storyist for Mac after 2.3.1 and prior to 2.3.4. It occurs when the spaces have different formatting than the words surrounding it. For example, if you bolded two words on either side of a space, but did not bold the space, the space would not appear in some circumstances. Storyist for iPad 1.1 and Storyist for Mac 2.3.4 should be out next week. The work-around is to format the spaces with one of the words surrounding the space. If you'd like a copy of Storyist for Mac 2.3.4, let me know and I'll send you a link.

-Steve

Hi CorStellae,

This is a bug in versions of Storyist for iPad prior to 1.1 and Storyist for Mac after 2.3.1 and prior to 2.3.4. It occurs when the spaces have different formatting than the words surrounding it. For example, if you bolded two words on either side of a space, but did not bold the space, the space would not appear in some circumstances. Storyist for iPad 1.1 and Storyist for Mac 2.3.4 should be out next week. The work-around is to format the spaces with one of the words surrounding the space. If you'd like a copy of Storyist for Mac 2.3.4, let me know and I'll send you a link.

-Steve

Thank you, Steve. I'll appreciate that link, since I'm doing extra work correcting a few RTF documents because of that bug. Nevertheless, I have checked the document, and I haven't found so far any case as described. The words that lost their white space didn't have different formatting, or the space between them. Hope that information helps, just in case.

Indeed… they're were they're suposed to in Storyist… They disappear when I export the RTF… I doubled checked myself before even bothering you…

I figured that was the case, but wanted to make sure. I'm taking a look now. Could you post an example or two of words between which the spaces disappear on export?

-Steve

Hi CorStellae,

Do I take the example from the RTF or from the Storyist document? Either way, I can do it, but a few hours from now. I'm away from my computer at the moment.

I believe I've found the cause.

The problem affects spaces that follow words ending in non-ASCII characters, and appears to be a case where the RTF specification is more honored in the breach than the observance. If you export "canapé cafe" as RTF, neither Word nor Text Edit display the space between the words. I'll update Storyist accordingly and get you something right away.

[Edit: This was fixed in version 1.1]

-Steve

Archived