Storyist Forums

General annoyances with iPad version

rednoser

I did not use the iPad version of Storyist for several months due to problems I experienced at the time with 1.0. I continued writing in IA Writer for the time being, but eventually I had to export the file to my Mac, or try the iPad version of Storyist again, which was now at 1.1 and possibly improved.

Unfortunately, that appears not to be the case and below I outline some of the problems I'm having:

* PROBLEM: Selecting text - When selecting a portion of text that is larger than what fits in the open area between top of the screen and keyboard, and pulling down the selection handle, the selected area jumps by itself under the keyboard and you're back at the beginning of your selection. Scrolling back down reveals that the selection area has been extended selection by just a single, or a few characters, or none at all, and you have to keep repeating the selection extension until with some luck and trial and error you manage to select the portion of text you want.

* SOLUTION: Selecting text from the bottom up seems to be a temporary solution;

* PROBLEM: The Find command opens just a sliver of a type box and typing turns into highlighting a random similar word from where you can start your search. If you have used Find previously you'll need to backspace it to clear the (invisible!) text box. Annoying and awkward...;

* PROBLEM: Text pasted into a chapter miraculously disappears after exporting a copy of the file. However, the iPad version also created a copy within Storyist, which shows the chapters intact. If I copy this file to iTunes will it then also exhibit holes in the text, like the original copy? I shudder to think...

* SOLUTION: None that I'm aware of.

Hi Rudolf,

* PROBLEM: Selecting text - When selecting a portion of text that is larger than what fits in the open area between top of the screen and keyboard, and pulling down the selection handle, the selected area jumps by itself under the keyboard and you're back at the beginning of your selection. Scrolling back down reveals that the selection area has been extended selection by just a single, or a few characters, or none at all, and you have to keep repeating the selection extension until with some luck and trial and error you manage to select the portion of text you want.

* SOLUTION: Selecting text from the bottom up seems to be a temporary solution;

Selection changes that require autoscrolling (which you might get when you move the selection over an image or chapter title) can be a little jarring when then change area is large. Two additional things that might help:

1) Triple-tap to select entire paragraphs.

2) Switch to portrait mode to get a larger visible area.

I've got some ideas on how to make these jumps less jarring (including ways to use the arrow keys to extend selections).

* PROBLEM: The Find command opens just a sliver of a type box and typing turns into highlighting a random similar word from where you can start your search. If you have used Find previously you'll need to backspace it to clear the (invisible!) text box. Annoying and awkward...;

Unfortunately, iOS 5 broke the Find bar. This isn't an issue on iOS 4, but that's no consolation if you've upgraded. A work-around is already in testing and will be out next week.

* PROBLEM: Text pasted into a chapter miraculously disappears after exporting a copy of the file. However, the iPad version also created a copy within Storyist, which shows the chapters intact. If I copy this file to iTunes will it then also exhibit holes in the text, like the original copy? I shudder to think...

* SOLUTION: None that I'm aware of.

I'm not able to reproduce this. Perhaps I'm missing a step. Here is what I've tried:

1) Create a new project from the Novel template.

2) Open "My Manuscript"

3) Paste text into the manuscript.

4) Return to the files view, tap Edit, tap "My Manuscript," and then tap Export.

5) Tap Copy to Dropbox or Copy to iTunes and choose RTF.

When I open the exported file ("My Manuscript.rtf"), the pasted text appears as expected. Any additional information on this issue would be appreciated.

-Steve

Unfortunately, iOS 5 broke the Find bar. This isn't an issue on iOS 4, but that's no consolation if you've upgraded. A work-around is already in testing and will be out next week.

The Find bar on iOS 5 issue is fixed in 1.1.1, which is now available in the App Store.

-Steve

Archived