Storyist Forums

Sections broken

shambhavi

Hi,

I am using the latest version of Storyist on iPad 2 running iOS 4.3.5. I am writing a book of short essays. The essays are organized into chapters, so I am placing a # after each essay to mark a section break. Consequently, the titles of each essay were listed under the chapters in outline view and were at the top of each index card in the sections view. Today, while working on the text, all of the section titles disappeared from the outline view and were replaced by the generic term "section." So in outline view I just see the chapter titles followed by multiple instances of the word "section." I don't know what I was doing when this happened. The section titles are still in the manuscript. I can't figure out any way to get the program to recognize the first words in each section (the titles) and populate the outline with these,

Another weird thing is that the first section title is showing in the outline view but no subsequent titles are showing,

Need. help. Thanks.

Hi shambhavi,

Hi,

I am using the latest version of Storyist on iPad 2 running iOS 4.3.5. I am writing a book of short essays. The essays are organized into chapters, so I am placing a # after each essay to mark a section break. Consequently, the titles of each essay were listed under the chapters in outline view and were at the top of each index card in the sections view. Today, while working on the text, all of the section titles disappeared from the outline view and were replaced by the generic term "section." So in outline view I just see the chapter titles followed by multiple instances of the word "section." I don't know what I was doing when this happened.

Storyist assigns the title "Section" to new sections. You'll see this if you add a new section from the Outline view or by typing a section separator in the manuscript. You might also see this if the range of a deletion include the section separator (which merge the section) and then type return.

If _all_ of your section were renamed, what probably happened was that you had selected all text, opened the inspector to apply some formatting and inadvertently hit a chapter title style (or some other style with an outline level other than body text).

A future version of Storyist will warn you if you're about to make structural changes like this.

The section titles are still in the manuscript. I can't figure out any way to get the program to recognize the first words in each section (the titles) and populate the outline with these,

There isn't a mechanism to auto rename sections from the manuscript, so unfortunately, you'll need to enter these either in the Outline view or in the index card for the section.

Another weird thing is that the first section title is showing in the outline view but no subsequent titles are showing,

Do the following titles have a body text style associated with them? If so, they won't show up in the outline unless you add a section separator.

If you're not sure, I'd be happy to take a look at the project for you. Just email it to me and I'll take a look right away.

-Steve

Hi Steve,

This was originally a Word document. I imported it into Storyist and put the hash marks between the sections. At this point, Storyist produced sections with the section titles (the first text in each section) forming the outline.

I think at this point it makes sense for me to repopulate the section titles into the outline manually so in case I make some formatting error again, the titles will be preserved. It would be fantastic to have an undo function that let one go back multiple steps. I think I could have fixed this with a few keystrokes if that were the case. I really like this program and look forward to updates.

Thanks for all the hard work.

aHi shambhavi,

Storyist assigns the title "Section" to new sections. You'll see this if you add a new section from the Outline view or by typing a section separator in the manuscript. You might also see this if the range of a deletion include the section separator (which merge the section) and then type return.

If _all_ of your section were renamed, what probably happened was that you had selected all text, opened the inspector to apply some formatting and inadvertently hit a chapter title style (or some other style with an outline level other than body text).

A future version of Storyist will warn you if you're about to make structural changes like this.

There isn't a mechanism to auto rename sections from the manuscript, so unfortunately, you'll need to enter these either in the Outline view or in the index card for the section.

Do the following titles have a body text style associated with them? If so, they won't show up in the outline unless you add a section separator.

If you're not sure, I'd be happy to take a look at the project for you. Just email it to me and I'll take a look right away.

-Steve

Hi Steve,

I think what I did was to select the entire document (about 250 pages) and make a global font change. In the process, the section hash marks got reformatted to section text rather than section separators. Just FYI

Hi Steve,

This was originally a Word document. I imported it into Storyist and put the hash marks between the sections. At this point, Storyist produced sections with the section titles (the first text in each section) forming the outline.

I think at this point it makes sense for me to repopulate the section titles into the outline manually so in case I make some formatting error again, the titles will be preserved. It would be fantastic to have an undo function that let one go back multiple steps. I think I could have fixed this with a few keystrokes if that were the case. I really like this program and look forward to updates.

Thanks for all the hard work.

Archived