Storyist Forums

Quoting posts in the forum

Steve E

...- (not sure how to insert this quote from Steve)

Hi Whirlybird.

FYI: there are a couple of ways to create a quote. The first and easiest is to hit "Reply" which appears on the bottom right of the post you want to reply to. If you do that you will see the code (in square brackets) used to format the quote above and below the quote. A second way is to select text in your own post and click on the speech balloon (i.e., the Insert Quotation icon) in the tool bar just above the edit window. This icon is the third from the right. Clicking it will insert "quote" before the selection and "/quote" after it, in square brackets.

Always helpful,

- Thoth

Hi Thoth,

Okay, I'm giving it a try.

A second way is to select text in your own post and click on the speech balloon (i.e., the Insert Quotation icon) in the tool bar just above the edit window. This icon is the third from the right. Clicking it will insert "quote" before the selection and "/quote" after it, in square brackets.

Let's see if it worked.

-Whirlybird

To the Ever Helpful Thoth,

Yeah, it worked. I'm now going to try by labeling the quote.

[Thoth on 19 October 2011 - 10:48 PM]A second way is to select text in your own post and click on the speech balloon (i.e., the Insert Quotation icon) in the tool bar just above the edit window. This icon is the third from the right. Clicking it will insert "quote" before the selection and "/quote" after it, in square brackets.

Let's see if this works.

-Whirlybird (who is celebrating a half century today)

Yes! Happy Birthday, Whirlybird.

And as M says, Welcome to the right side of the big five-oh. (As opposed to the left side: 1,2,3...49, 50, 51,52...

Have some virtual cake (and just hit the REPLY button to see what the labels look like):

Happy%20Birthday%20cake.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1286588373557

- Thoth

I hit the REPLY button but didn't know what I was looking at.

When you get a chance, study it for a couple of minutes.

E.g.,

quote —"this is a quote"

name='whirlybird' — "this is the person posting"

timestamp='1319252244' — "this decodes into the time and date. (21 October 2011 - 10:57 PM)"

post='14813' — "this is the number of this post on the forum, #15 on this thread."

Easy.

-T

Thoth,

I'm not usually this dense but I don't see how you get the name and timestamp you mentioned to appear in the green bar above the quote. I am enjoying being able to post the quote, though, so at least I've gotten a little bit of it done correctly.

-Whirlybird (who is having a 50+ age moment :P

Thoth,

I'm not usually this dense but I don't see how you get the name and timestamp you mentioned to appear in the green bar above the quote. I am enjoying being able to post the quote, though, so at least I've gotten a little bit of it done correctly.

-Whirlybird (who is having a 50+ age moment :P

You're overthinking it, Whirlybird. Hit reply and start typing. Like this. :)

If you don't want to quote, just type in the Fast Reply section and click Post.

Marguerite

Now that I've 'mastered' replying to one quote, can you tell me how to make one reply to more than one quote from different posts. I must warn you I am a slow learner at least as far as this is concerned. :lol:

This is right from the Forum Help manual:

To quote another post in your reply, you can either click the " Reply" button beneath a post, or use the multiquote feature. Multiquote is used when you want to quote more than one post in your reply. Select the " MultiQuote" button underneath the posts you want to quote, and you will notice that the button will change color. To undo this, just press the button again. When you have marked all the posts you want to quote, press the " Add Reply" button as normal.

Enjoy

-T

BTW: The "Add Reply" button can be found 4 lines below the Edit button.

• 7 months later...

Archived