Storyist Forums

page break

pna

Hi

I'm just beginning with the app but I already find it very attractive.

(and I already tested many tools for writing..)

There is something I don't understand: I'm trying to make pages breaks and I don't succeed.

I tried with an imported file, because I'd like to organize it; but using the Format Button (and the Style Tab) neither with the Navigator, it doesn't "work".

I tried with the provided Screenplay templates, same issue. The only template that seems to allow me doing that is the Novel Template, with the "Add Chapter" command (it creates a new page).

Where am I wrong??

Aniway, the "chapter and sections (and scenes", as you seem to say in the Storyist Guide) doesn't look to behave as exactly with my version as it is described in the guide..?

For example:

>>Adding and Arranging Cards

>>You can also add cards and labels using the Navigator:

>> • Tap the Navigator icon in the toolbar.

>> • Tap the outline element after which you want the new card or label to appear.

>> • Tap the Add (+) button at the bottom of the Navigator and select the item (chapter/section/scene) you want to add.

As often, I don't have "chapter/section/scene" but "Add body text, or "Add Heading (1,2,3)"...

The options proposed aren't the same as in the Guide.

Usually I can add Title or Heading, but no Page break (only in the Novel Template, using "Add Chapter" (using "Add section" doesn't make a page break)..

I would really love to understand and to know how to do theses pages break, I would be very grateful to you!

Aniway, I like it already very much.

g*

Hi pna,

Welcome to the forums.

Hi

I'm just beginning with the app but I already find it very attractive.

(and I already tested many tools for writing..)

There is something I don't understand: I'm trying to make pages breaks and I don't succeed.

I tried with an imported file, because I'd like to organize it; but using the Format Button (and the Style Tab) neither with the Navigator, it doesn't "work".

I tried with the provided Screenplay templates, same issue. The only template that seems to allow me doing that is the Novel Template, with the "Add Chapter" command (it creates a new page).

Where am I wrong??

Storyist uses the current style's "page break before" setting to perform page breaking. The Chapter Title style in the Novel template has this on by default. The current iPad version doesn't support style editing yet (this is coming), but you can create a style sheet in Storyist for Mac or Word that has the bit set and use it in Storyist for iPad.

Aniway, the "chapter and sections (and scenes", as you seem to say in the Storyist Guide) doesn't look to behave as exactly with my version as it is described in the guide..?

For example:

>>Adding and Arranging Cards

>>You can also add cards and labels using the Navigator:

>> • Tap the Navigator icon in the toolbar.

>> • Tap the outline element after which you want the new card or label to appear.

>> • Tap the Add (+) button at the bottom of the Navigator and select the item (chapter/section/scene) you want to add.

As often, I don't have "chapter/section/scene" but "Add body text, or "Add Heading (1,2,3)"...

The options proposed aren't the same as in the Guide.

Usually I can add Title or Heading, but no Page break (only in the Novel Template, using "Add Chapter" (using "Add section" doesn't make a page break)..

I would really love to understand and to know how to do theses pages break, I would be very grateful to you!

Aniway, I like it already very much.

g*

Yes, if you're not using the Novel template, this could be confusing. The instructions in the Guide relate to the the styles in the Novel template stylesheet. Your styles are named Heading 1, Heading 2, Heading 3, etc... I'll make sure the Guide is updated to catch this use.

-Steve

Thank You Steve.

I noticed something strange :

I try to modify "page setup" with changing the values in, for example, 5 cm instead of x inches (i'm french !) but it is impossible, it never records my changes.

Where am I wrong ?

Thanks

Hi pna,

Thank You Steve.

I noticed something strange :

I try to modify "page setup" with changing the values in, for example, 5 cm instead of x inches (i'm french !) but it is impossible, it never records my changes.

Where am I wrong ?

Thanks

Try this:

1. Choose Format > Page to bring up the Page Attributes inspector.
  2. Select the top margin field, type "5 cm", and press Return.

The top margin for the page should change to 1.97in (which is 5 cm).

-Steve

Hi,

thank you for your response.

On the ipad app I don't have Format > Page but "Tools > Page Setup".

And when I do that here, It doesn't work.

The only thing that is accepted is to change the page size from US letter to A4, and for all of the other options, I can only change the inches, none of other measuring units (points, picas and centimeters).

To be sure I tried many times, on different types of document (text file then general, novel and screenplay)

It is the same behavior when I try with the "Text inspector>font", trying to modify the "indentation' and the "Paragraph and Line Spacing". I can only modify inches. When i put values in other measuring units, it is like I would do nothing.

Just to see I tried to type 1,97 in the inch field, and it doesn't work either !!!! I can only change the inches values with the little arrows...

Hi, pna:

I just tried this with my iPad, and indeed Storyist did refuse several attempts by me to enter the top margin in centimeters. But when I chose Tools > Page Setup, then tapped the top margin setting, tapped centimeters, tapped the number box to select it, typed 5 and hit Return on the virtual keyboard, the iPad app converted my 5 centimeters to inches and changed the margin. If you just tap Done, Storyist "thinks" you changed your mind.

Note that the U.S. convention is to use periods to separate the decimal from the rest of the number (not commas as in Europe), so 5 or 5.00 (not 5,00).

Best,

Marguerite

De rien. Happy to help. And I have made this particular mistake (not hitting return) so often, you'd think I would never make it again, but I do.... :)

Must be difficult, learning a new program in a different language. But Storyist is very easy to use once you understand how it works, so do persevere.

Bonne année!

Marguerite

Si si c'est beaucoup ! (merci pour les quelques mots en français !)

Thanks for the encouragement.. It is very helpful. Yes indeed not so easy to understand in a different language, between the app settings, the reading of the guide(s), and then to read and write in the forums, all in english ..

Especially with the two versions (ipad and mac!) (much easier on the ipad!!). It is why I was so impatient.. Yes i'll persevere ! Thank you again and bonne année aussi à vous avec de beaux projets d'écriture..

g.

Archived