Storyist Forums

issue with importing from pc to i pad.

master1

I have dropped document on pc to dropbox as instructed. when I try to access it on ipad i see the document i want listed in storyist dropdown but it is listed in a gray font. Does that mean I can't access it? I click the page name listed within stroyist and nothing happens. Shouldn't I be able to take load a doc. from Pc to storyist.

Thanks, Liz

Hi, Liz, and welcome to the forums—

Is this literally a .doc (i.e., Word or OpenOffice) file from a PC (i.e., not a Mac)? That may be a bridge too far for the iPad app.

Try saving the .doc file as RTF (use File > Save As in Word or Open Office, then click on the box that says .doc or .docx or .opd and choose Rich Text Format). Then drag THAT file to Dropbox.

Storyist should at least see the RTF and open it. I am not sure that it can import the file into a new Storyist project on the iPad. Storyist for iPad kind of assumes that you are either starting from scratch or doing the heavy lifting in Storyist for Mac.

But I could be wrong about that.... :)

Best,

Marguerite

I just uploaded .pages, .doc and .rtfd files to dropbox from my iMac and was only able to open the .txt file which was in the .rtfd folder which I had uploaded. It looks to me like the easy way to handle pc->iPad files via Dropbox is as formatted .txt which Word or any PC word processor can handle.

john :)

Hi Master1,

Storyist for iPad can import both RTF (a rich text file format that Microsoft invented) and plain text files. If you've got .doc or .docx files, just open them in Word and save them as RTF. Your style sheets and formatting will be preserved.

Pages can export RTF too, but it's export preserves only the formatting, not the style sheets.

-Steve

Archived