Storyist Forums

How to export files

Steve

Hi Folks,

Someone wrote to the support address asking for more information about how to export files from Storyist for iPad. I thought I'd post the screenshots here in case anyone else is wondering.

To export files, navigate to the document you want to export and:

1) Tap the Edit button in the toolbar. (See the screenshot below) .

Export-1.jpg

2) Tap the file you want to export.

3) Tap the Export button in the toolbar.

4) Tap “Copy to Dropbox,” “Copy to iTunes,” or “Email Document” as appropriate.

Export-2.jpg

When the window appears with your formatting choices.

5) Tap the desired format for the exported document. Storyist can export text documents as rich text (.rtf) files, plain text (.txt) files, and, for screenplays, Final Draft (.fdx) files.

-Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I love that I can export to fdx or rtf depending on who I am sending to but the rtf export doesn't retain the line spacing requirements of a standard screenplay format.

This may sound like a small issue, but it makes a big difference in the perceived professionalism of the work.

• 7 months later...

Hi Laura,

You've probably selected a project, which is a collection of files. To export a file as RTF or text, first open the project and navigate to the screen containing the file you want to export.

Try this:

1. Navigate to the My Projects screen.
  2. Tap the New Project button.
  3. Select the Novel template.
  4. In the My Projects screen, tap the newly created Novel project to open it.
  5. Tap the Edit button in the toolbar.
  6. Tap the My Manuscript file to select it.
  7. Tap the Export (Share) button in the toolbar.
  8. Select one of "Copy to Dropbox," "Copy to iTunes," "Email Document," or "Send to App."
  9. When the format dialog appears, tap one of "Rich Text," "Plain Text," or "PDF."
  10. Proceed with the export

-Steve

To follow up on muunkky's post:

I love that I can export to fdx or rtf depending on who I am sending to but the rtf export doesn't retain the line spacing requirements of a standard screenplay format.

The exported RTF actually does contain the line spacing information. The problem turns out to be that the RTF reader that Apple provides with iOS doesn't display it correctly. You can open the RTF file in Word, Text Edit, or most other word processors and you'll see it is set properly. You'll find more information on that here.

-Steve

• 4 months later...

Archived