Storyist Forums

Where did it go?

hopeso

In Spain for 2 mos. from FL. Using iPad 2. Wanted to use playwrighting choice--like iMac--not an option. Used screenplay. Worked on script once and went well. Second day added more characters, setting. Today, can't find what I wrote. I hope it's just misplaced. Can anyone tell me where to look?

Hi hopeso,

A couple of people have inadvertently created files in the Getting Started project. Could this be the case? To check, navigate to the top-level My Projects screen and tap on the Getting Started project.

-Steve

Hi Hopeso,

On Dropbox: If you've turned on one-tap sync, Storyist for iPad creates a folder named Storyist at the top level of your Dropbox folder the next time you sync. If you instead use the Copy to Dropbox command, your files will be in the folder you selected. Note that you can also use iTunes or email to transfer files to and from your iPad. The User Guide has more information on this.

One thing that would help would be to see a screenshot of your My Projects (home) screen. You can take a screenshot on iPad by holding down both the Sleep and the Home button at the same time.

-Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for info.

I now have synch with Dropbox.

In Storyist I have 11-Screenplay icons. Nothing in any of the folders--characters, etc.

I think I should erase all and start again.

When I do, how do I label a project? Would it just be Screenplay1, etc.? And have the title only in the Title page?

I am determined to use Storyist effectively.

I hope there aren't any quizzes in Storyist.

Best,

David

Hi Steve,

Started a new screenplay project.

When I started typing in character name Lar... it came up Larry. Larry is one of the characters in my first screenplay that I can't find. Does that mean that the 1st play is hiding somewhere and Larry needs to be rescued?

David

Hi Steve,

One more question.

When I get back to my iMac, where I have the Storyist playwriting option, can I transfer my screenplay I'm working on here on my iPad to the playwrighting format? Or can I change the tabs in the screenplay to match the play format?

I know this is very basic and I'm sorry to ask such simple questions.

I did figure out how to change the title from Screenplay 1 to the title I wanted.

Occasionly, I do use my brain.

Best,

David

I have a Screenplay titled Happiness Cafe in Storyist, which incudes character file, setting, etc. The play is also in Dropbox. When I click on it in Dropbox--hoping to see it open--I get msg. "unable to view file." If I have to drag each invidual file within the play, I don't know how to do it. How do I get the item--the play--to open in Dropbox so I can view it?

Hi David,

I have a Screenplay titled Happiness Cafe in Storyist, which incudes character file, setting, etc. The play is also in Dropbox. When I click on it in Dropbox--hoping to see it open--I get msg. "unable to view file." If I have to drag each invidual file within the play, I don't know how to do it. How do I get the item--the play--to open in Dropbox so I can view it?

The Dropbox app can't view Storyist files. The Dropbox app does support the Open In command, so you can use the it to open Storyist files in Storyist if you want.

-Steve

Hi David,

When I do, how do I label a project? Would it just be Screenplay1, etc.? And have the title only in the Title page?

When you create a new project, just tap the label beneath the icon to edit it. Same with labels inside the project. These labels don't affect the title page, so you can use a different name for the project than the title of your script if you want.

-Steve

Hi David,

Started a new screenplay project.

When I started typing in character name Lar... it came up Larry. Larry is one of the characters in my first screenplay that I can't find. Does that mean that the 1st play is hiding somewhere and Larry needs to be rescued?

Are you sure you started a new project? The auto complete information (in this case Lar -> Larry) is included in the script, and the templates don't have any characters named Larry. You can see what character names have been recorded for autocomplete by opening your script, tapping the Tools icon, and selecting Smart Text > Characters.

-Steve

Hi David

One more question.

When I get back to my iMac, where I have the Storyist playwriting option, can I transfer my screenplay I'm working on here on my iPad to the playwrighting format? Or can I change the tabs in the screenplay to match the play format?

I know this is very basic and I'm sorry to ask such simple questions.

I did figure out how to change the title from Screenplay 1 to the title I wanted.

Occasionly, I do use my brain.

You could certainly do that. However, if you're writing a stage play, you might want to start with the stage play template posted in the Sharing section.

-Steve

Archived