Storyist Forums

How to open .story files on a PC?

Violetta

I've probably got the wrong end of the stick here, but after setting up one-touch sync with Storyist on my iPad via Dropbox on my laptop, how do I then open up the files on my laptop? Microsoft won't recognise them.

I can save sort of manually, which gives you an option to save in plain text or RTF, and that works fine.

But I liked the idea of a quick sync everytime I finished working.

Is there an option somewhere so they don't automatically save into the .story format?

Apologies in advance if I have totally missed the point. It's been raining for three months here, starting to get damp on the brain...

So you have a PC (not a Mac)? In that case, I think you are out of luck as far as one tap Sync is concerned. Your best choice is to copy the manuscript to Dropbox and/or iTunes as RTF and open that file in Word.

To do that, tap Edit inside the folder that shows you your manuscript, tap the manuscript to select it (a check mark appears), then choose Copy to iTunes or Copy to Dropbox from the leftmost icon and specify RTF.

If I misunderstood and you have a Mac, the Mac version of Storyist opens .story files seamlessly from iPad, however you save them.

Best,

M

Thank-you Marguerite, at least I know I'm not missing a step.

Obviously, when my book is published and I am a best-selling author I will have top-level Macs scattered around the house. Until then I am managing with my lovely iPad and a less-than-lovely PC. It is no big deal to save stuff singly and at least I know they are backed up somewhere if I use the sync.

Yes, do use the one-tap sync for backup. Dropbox stores old versions of your files, so even if you manage to "nuke" a file, you can retrieve the last saved version from the Dropbox servers. And in general, you will have a backup on your PC, as well.

It occurred to me this morning that there is a way to access parts of your .story files on a PC. It's just rather techie, so you probably will want to save it for emergencies. A .story file is actually a zipped archive containing your text, images, and data. So technically you can (1) unzip it, (2) access the RTF file in Word, (3) make changes and save it back to the same folder, (4) rezip the file, and (5) rename the extension of the zipped file to .story. (I recommend using copies if you try this!)

But for normal use, a "copy as RTF" for the manuscript and sheets, combined with one-tap sync for backup, should do the trick.

Hope your nonstop rain lets up soon. There are a ton of farmers in the Midwest who would be happy to collect it in buckets and pour it on their corn. :)

Best,

M

Thanks for your help, both of you. Will try unzipping the files when I know everything is nice and safe and backed up in a at least three other places - but isgood to know there is an emergency red-button option.

It has stopped raining and the sun is shining just in time for the Olympics. It won't last.

Archived