Storyist Forums

Notebooks' contents vanished

rednoser

I purchased a new Macbook Air (what a joy, a computer that doesn't get hot and is instantly on) and copied over a story I'd been working on from my old thigh-scorching Powerbook. All went fine and I've been writing until I discovered that all my Notebooks are empty. I assume their info is kept elsewhere, but where? A Spotlight search for "storyist" on the old Mac yielded no useful clues...

"Help," he said, but it sounded more like a yelp... :lol:

I purchased a new Macbook Air (what a joy, a computer that doesn't get hot and is instantly on) and copied over a story I'd been working on from my old thigh-scorching Powerbook. All went fine and I've been writing until I discovered that all my Notebooks are empty. I assume their info is kept elsewhere, but where? A Spotlight search for "storyist" on the old Mac yielded no useful clues...

"Help," he said, but it sounded more like a yelp... :lol:

Hi Rudolf,

The notebook entries are stored with the project in the story file.

The story file is just a zip file, so you can see what is in the project by unzipping it. From a console, type

> unzip .story

You'll (hopefully) see a list of RTF files that contain your notes. If not, let me know and we can troubleshoot further. I'd be happy to take a look at your file for you.

-Steve

Thanks Steve.

I meanwhile went back to my previous file and was able to copy over each notebook's contents to my new file so I'm okay. Still not sure how they could be there one day and gone the next, when all other files such as plot, characters, scenes, etc remained intact. I'll play a bit with the zip file, just to get a grasp on how things work in the background.

Thanks again. Nice app!

Rudolf

Archived