Storyist Forums

Exporting index cards

Mthornto23

Hi, I am new to Storyist, and am using it exclusively on the iPad. I am loving it, but I've had a couple scares where index cards have appeared black and without any information until I restart the app. Before I fully commit to mapping out my whole novel with index cards on Storyist, I want to make sure there is a way to effectively back up this data. I tried to export the manuscript to rtf or PDF, but neither format seems to retain index cards. Is there a trick to this? Is it not yet a feature (I ask, hoping very much that's not the answer :))? Thanks in advance for the help!

Hi Mthornto23,

Storyist for iPad doesn't export index card data. The Mac version does, though, and can export it as both RTF and OPML.

Also, the free version of Dropbox keeps older versions of your projects around for 30 days (longer for the paid version), so if you're using one-tap Dropbox sync, you can easily revert to a back up.

-Steve

• 4 months later...

I noticed too, that my cards outline view 'lost' a couple Chapter designations while mapping out my novel last night...but after re-starting the app, they reappeared. Phew!!! I'm sure you won't loose anything (he said, hopefully but confident in the developers' know-how) and perhaps it's a bug that will be worked out of the app at some point.

BTW...I am new to Dropbox, too....you say it'll only store anything dumped in the free version for 30 days? If you keep re-syncing your novel to DB, will the clock on that new saved version re-start?

Hi Whiterook,

Yes, I believe that the free version of Dropbox deletes saved older revisions if they're more than 30 days old. It doesn't delete the CURRENT version though.

Note that Storyist for iOS 2.0 also saves older versions of your project. Versions that are created automatically are deleted after 30 days to avoid filling up your device. However, if you use the Save a Version command to manually create a version, it is kept until you delete it.

-Steve

Archived